My thoughts on Brandon McCarthy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My thoughts on Brandon McCarthy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My thoughts on Brandon McCarthy

Postby Bobby Baseball » Mon May 23, 2005 6:49 pm

I've been waiting patiently for him to get the call and I'm thrilled that he finally did. After watching him closely, he reminds me a lot of pitcher he opposed yesterday, Mark Prior. Of course I am not saying that he is Mark Prior, or that he will be, but his mechanics and stuff is Prior-esque. His delivery is a bit more jerky than Prior's, but very few have a delivery as smooth and compact as Prior. Having said that, it's clear that McCarthy generates a lot of torque on his arm and because of his thin frame, I could see some possible arm/elbow issues in the future. I'd like to see him streamline his delivery a little more to reduce stress on his arm.

His fastball topped out at about 93-94 but it appeared flat and had very little movement. As a result, some hitters, namely Neifi Perez, made solid contact. His curveball looked great. It had nice drop to it and was thrown in the mid 80's. I hear he has an excellent changeup but he didn't throw it at all yesterday. He looks like he has great control, just 1 walk with 6 k's in 5+ innings.

The question will be how long he stays up with El Duque expected back in a few weeks. His next start will be against Texas so he will be tested and we'll get a better idea of where he's at. All in all, I think he is going to be special. He seems to have exceptional poise for a 22 year old kid making his debut in Wrigley Field, in an interleage game, going against Mark Prior. ;-D

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Mon May 23, 2005 8:30 pm

finally someone who comments on watching him play...

I was wondering how he did, all I've heard are good things about his future and how hes a very good prospect.

Poise is good for a young pitcher, you dont want them to be scared,, and mid 90's is not shabby at all, but if he looked like he wasnt throwing his best then thats only good news
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby t2green2 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:40 pm

Live in Charlotte and watched him pitch vs 3A talent and he was awesome at times. He will get into trouble at times but should have a long term spot in the Soxs rotation.

The kid is Big and has the stuff in my opinion.
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers