One Rotten Apple Spoils the Bunch. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

One Rotten Apple Spoils the Bunch.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

One Rotten Apple Spoils the Bunch.

Postby J_Cuz » Mon May 23, 2005 1:12 pm

This is a question regarding the owner in a league who is outclassed.

I have been participating in a league for three seasons. Last year the Commish put one of his friends in the league who quite clearly knows nothing about anything related to the sport of baseball. The guy drafts miserably and hasn't even come close to seeing the northside of ninth place in a twelve team league.

For the second consecutive year this knucklehead has made a bonehead trade that clearly benefits his friend.

The owner in question is currently in twelth place seven points out of elevent and he has just dealt Morneau, Beltre and Beckett for Dunn, Burnitz, Towers and Wright. Last year he dealt Delgado for next to nothing after waiting two months for him to return from the DL.

During the offseason I expressed my concerns to the commish (who consistently benefits from his friend's incompetance) and they fell on deaf ears.

Basically, I don't want to be in a league where everyone is waiting for the mntal midget to firesale his roster and open the door for his brother's in arms to win.

The argument of my co-owners is that trades would only be rejected if the player receives financial gain from the trade. However, this does not account for raw stupidity. I am a veyr competitive fantasy player and feel I deserve a league with a higher level of qualified owners. I am basically at the point of giving them an ultimatum: this clueless owner or me.

Any input as to what recourse I should take?
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:20 pm

How is that that bad a deal?

Morneau, Beltre and Beckett for Dunn, Burnitz, Towers and Wright

Dunn and Wright are decent enough.
Morneau and Beckett are too.
Burnitz and Towers vs a slumping Beltre.

Maybe not a great trade but that is hardly a hideously bad deal.

You want bad...try:

Soriano, Willis, Hoffman, Batista and Brady Claek

for

Vlad (after the injury), M. Giles, D, Ward, and 2 MR scrubs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baseballnewb » Mon May 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Dunn is the best player in that list, so he is giving up the best player. Dunn and Wright for Beckett and Beltre seems reasonable to me personally, I'm not a big fan of Beltre though. That leaves Burnitz and Towers for Morneau which isn't out of the league of possibility though I'm not a big fan of Burnitz or Towers. While it may not be a great trade its not ruining the league, thats for sure.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Take a chance

Postby nosoup4u » Mon May 23, 2005 1:32 pm

Don't sit around whining about why you are getting crapped on....go make some moves yourself. In any business deal you should TRY to get the upper hand....Don't be naive.
nosoup4u
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pokerplaya » Mon May 23, 2005 1:35 pm

It's not a great deal, but it's not horrible.

Bottom line, if you don't like who you are playing with, find a better league. Deals your league mates make may bother you, but that's more your fault than theirs because you chose to play in the league.

Take a pro active approach for this year and see if you can make a good deal yourself with the team. If it bothers you that much, don't bother playing with them next year.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby J_Cuz » Mon May 23, 2005 2:05 pm

How exactly is Dunn high man in that deal, are you serious?

Morneau is out of his mind right now. Dunn will post the same tired .240 avg all season. The SB's are a nice plus but if you'd trade rookie phenom Morneau for Dunn right now then you must not be experiencing much success at this game.

Even if you consider that a wash (which I definatly do not). That leaves a coveted Ace pitcher for a spot starter (atrocious discrepancy in value) and then Beltre for Burnitz and wright which I would view as a fair trade in and of itself.

So two valuations that I can make:

beltre= Wright/Burnitz
Becket + Morneau +++> Towers and Dunn.

this is an extremely lopsided deal there is no way around it.
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon May 23, 2005 2:07 pm

J_Cuz wrote:How exactly is Dunn high man in that deal, are you serious?

Morneau is out of his mind right now. Dunn will post the same tired .240 avg all season. The SB's are a nice plus but if you'd trade rookie phenom Morneau for Dunn right now then you must not be experiencing much success at this game.

Even if you consider that a wash (which I definatly do not). That leaves a coveted Ace pitcher for a spot starter (atrocious discrepancy in value) and then Beltre for Burnitz and wright which I would view as a fair trade in and of itself.

beltre= Wright/Burnitz

I think it's a close enough deal. Beckett is the best player in that deal BTW.

I would MUCH rather get the Beckett/Morneau/Beltre side but as long as the owners are not colluding, it's fine.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 23, 2005 2:14 pm

J_Cuz wrote:How exactly is Dunn high man in that deal, are you serious?

beltre= Wright/Burnitz

As a Morneau owner, and former Dunn owner, I'd gladly trade him straight up for Dunn. Dunn is extremely undervalued, even without the SBs. Morneau is good, but his numbers are clouded by a really hot start. He's nothing more than a .280 hitter with 25-30 HRs. Not bad, but not Dunn either.

Beltre just sucks. I probably wouldn't trade David Wright for him. He's just simply nothing near what he was last year.

Burnitz and Towers are playing very well, and Beckett has never pitched a complete season in the majors without significant injury problems. Who are you to say that they won't keep it up? If the owner thinks they will, that's a calculated risk that he's willing to take. If it works out, it could mean the difference between winning and losing.

There's no way you can veto this trade. If you don't like the league, then find another one or start your own. This is totally fair. Stop complaining just because you think your friend got a good deal. I hate it when people do that. I get it all the time, and it pisses me off. It's just sour grapes because you probably could have gotten the same players for a similar value, but you didn't.

Live and learn.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J_Cuz » Mon May 23, 2005 3:05 pm

As a Morneau owner, and former Dunn owner, I'd gladly trade him straight up for Dunn. Dunn is extremely undervalued, even without the SBs. Morneau is good, but his numbers are clouded by a really hot start. He's nothing more than a .280 hitter with 25-30 HRs. Not bad, but not Dunn either.

I GUARANTEE you can make that deal straight up right now. So you should.

Towers and Burnitz are borderline waiver wire fodder, very unimpressive. So even if Morneau/Dunn is washed the deal still stinks to high heaven even if you're a Beckett/Beltre hater (which it ios obvious that you are).
www.igglephans.com
J_Cuz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 23, 2005 3:15 pm

I really don't think that its that bad...just me I guess
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert