How do you combat a "save punter?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you combat a "save punter?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Mon May 23, 2005 7:02 pm

This scoring system is begging to be exploited like the other owner is doing. As someone that has pretty much played H2H exclusively over the past several years, I'd add the following comments:

1. Before the end of the year, at least half the league will be imitating this owner's strategy flooding the waiver wire with closers
2. A team with a conventional roster (i.e. a couple/few closers) will be at a disadvantage facing a team following this owner's strategy every time.

The course of action I'd recommend is to trade your closers for as much as you can get ASAP. Preferably for strong SP's that pitch a lot of innings. The longer you wait, the more the overall value of closers will plummet (as more owners see what this guy is doing and copy it).

*Edit* Another possibility is to start rotating starters into your lineup every day (3 or so) based on matchups. I'm guessing you have a cap on transactions or someone would already be doing this.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:21 pm

Hmm...did I mention weekly changes? :-)

Also, this is a Cafe league (with a forum on the Football Cafe :-o). Man, they are really going to think I'm mad and causing trouble. But, I just don't like these rules.

I guess that's why I keep turning people down for football leagues...I hate to lose, I always play to win, and when I feel something is pointless, I speak up. That makes me look like a meanie when all I'm doing is pointing out something that makes the game less fun.

Did I also mention am in second place right now (just percentage points behind first), so it's not like I'm getting killed. But, those percentage points could be in my favor if these strategies weren't in place.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Mon May 23, 2005 10:15 pm

Hating to win is one thing, but the rules aren't meaningless. When you join a league you have to play by the rules. You're just not paying attention. Do you hate to lose enough to do something about it?

If your starters suck then you'd be losing pitching anyway. 9er Fan has the way of it. You need to figure out how to win within these rules, especially if the others haven't caught on yet.

IMO keep your most reliable closer or two -- take the one cat, and help out in ERA. Improve your SP as much as possible.

I suggest forgetting about the 2 start losers. Reliable pitchers should give you S and ERA, a shot at W, and sometimes even K. Punt IP instead and use quality over quantity. I could be wrong about this, but it feels right, I like it and I'd give it a shot. Go for it!

I think IP as a cat is viable as long as there are additional cats that require some quality over quantity, e.g. WHIP, L, HRs, BB.

I think I'd be as surprised as you were by the strategies employed against you. However, I also love challenges and coming from behind, so I'd be doing some thinking about how to turn things around. }:-)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers