How do you combat a "save punter?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you combat a "save punter?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:26 am

mamorris wrote:To be honest, I think you should have taken the categories into account when drafting. I wouldn't have even considered drafting a closer in a H2H league where IP is a category, and your situation is a perfect example why. I wouldn't consider it a 'crap' strategy either - it's simply taking the rules into account and playing accordingly.

Edit: So, in answer to your question, if I were you I'd see what starters I can get for Wagner and Izzy and not play any closers.

Well, considering I've never played this before, I didn't know all the ins-and-outs of the game...especially one with scoring rules like this. !+)

Obviously if I knew what I knew now, I would have just drafted all hitters and cycled 2 start guys around all year and not worried about closers. But, since I was still under the impression that getting a balanced team was important, that's who I drafted.

Oh well, I can't change that now. All I can do is try to offset whoever the other guys put out there and go from there. I sent quite a large message on the league board last night expressing my displeasure of the scoring system. I wasn't trying to be mean; I just wanted to let them know that I think this system doesn't actually prove who is the better fantasy drafter or manager. It only proves who is best at rotating their pitching staff each week. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gws226 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:01 am

I feel your pain........... Im in a league with

IP,GS, W,L,SV, H,ER,HR,K, SB, SVOP ERA WHIP

Try figuring out if your better running closers (SVOP, SV, H, HR, L) vs Starters....... (IP, GS, W,....... arrrgh! The season is arleady a quarter of the way over and I still can't figure out how to invest my trades and starts. :-P

I won't be playing in this ridiculous league next year.

In regards to your question....... 1 Start shouldn't make that much of a difference (especially if you have a superior staff) It looks like you have a good strategy there though, I wouldn't punt the catergory though. Closers are so volitile that you can easily win the week with only 1 active, and lose the next week with 3 active.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Mon May 23, 2005 8:24 am

Innings Pitched is a horrible category. Quantity over Quality. :-t

This is the first year we've played weekly line-up changes and I really like it. Every team plays seven starting pitchers. No more, no less. The best team usually wins in this format.

*edit* Seven total pitchers. Not seven starting.
Last edited by josebach on Mon May 23, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mamorris » Mon May 23, 2005 10:25 am

Mercer Boy wrote:... I think this system doesn't actually prove who is the better fantasy drafter or manager. It only proves who is best at rotating their pitching staff each week. :-P

Point taken - it certainly does take away from the balancing side of things. I'm sure there could be a situation where IP is a decent category, but this definitely isn't it.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RAmst23 » Mon May 23, 2005 12:34 pm

Couldn't you try to go the other way with this? I don't know your cats, but what about trying to pick up all the top closers around the league (Albeit this is difficult to do this year, as no one can tell who the top guys are). This would keep your ratios lower and you'll win saves. Don't know how well this would work.. I hate H2H and don't play it, so not sure on the specifics. Just a thought I'm throwing out there
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby cookman » Mon May 23, 2005 12:51 pm

Mercer Boy wrote: I'm sorry, but I think this whole save punting crap is a terrible way to play this game. What type of drafting skill does it show when you have to cycle 2 start pitchers every week to make sure you can just compete in cats, let alone win them. :-t

I believe you put the team out there that has the best chance to give you the win. If punting a category does that, it's not a problem with that player's strategy, it's a problem with your scoring system. Your scoring system should be the single biggest determinant of your playing strategy, and it looks like this guy has come up with a better strategy. If that's what will get you the W in your league, than starting doing what he is doing.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon May 23, 2005 1:00 pm

Next year you could ask for losses to be put in as a category. That would stop the cycling of two start pitchers...
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Cooner » Mon May 23, 2005 1:35 pm

I have to admit being confused- how are you starting closers and losing ERA? It seems your cats are:

IP, W, K, ERA, SV

I would think you could win ERA and SVs handily by using a closer with a few solid starters, then stand a chance in K and W if your pitchers are good/play for good teams. You'd only have to win one to have the advantage- the punter is only guarenteed IP with a head start at W and K.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 6:13 pm

Cooner wrote:I have to admit being confused- how are you starting closers and losing ERA? It seems your cats are:

IP, W, K, ERA, SV.

Because the 2 start losers that I have to pick up get bombed and balloon my ERA. We only start 5 pitchers total, so the starters will really affect the ERA number way more than closers. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cooner » Mon May 23, 2005 6:26 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Cooner wrote:I have to admit being confused- how are you starting closers and losing ERA? It seems your cats are:

IP, W, K, ERA, SV.

Because the 2 start losers that I have to pick up get bombed and balloon my ERA. We only start 5 pitchers total, so the starters will really affect the ERA number way more than closers. :-P

Ahh, I was thinking that since you drafted pitchers, you were starting good pitchers and they were starting 2 start losers. Well, that's tough... H2H with K/9 and/or W-L or Wins and Losses stop that. Not much you can do now though.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers