How do you combat a "save punter?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you combat a "save punter?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you combat a "save punter?"

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 1:45 am

I have a league where IP is a cat instead of WHIP. For the last few weeks, the team I have played against has totally taken all of their RP's off of their starting team and put in pitchers (normally 2 start guys). I left my 2 closers (Wagner/Izzy) in. So, I won saves but lost IP, W, K, and ERA pretty much every time.

What do you do against a team that punts saves on you? Do you just put in one closer to get the sure point on saves (and possibly lose on those other 4 cats), or do you punt with him and take a tie on saves and hope to win the other cats? :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby baseball6791 » Mon May 23, 2005 2:10 am

thats unfortunate that that happens with ur league setup, but... if you cant beat 'em, join 'em! ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Mon May 23, 2005 2:14 am

I'd take the free half point. At most you're losing two starts out of how many starts? 10-15? You should be able to make that up in wins and k's.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 2:17 am

KolbSaves wrote:I'd take the free half point. At most you're losing two starts out of how many starts? 10-15? You should be able to make that up in wins and k's.

I'm not quite understanding you here...I think you are saying to punt with him, but I'm a little confused with the wording. :-S

Well, I just picked up another 2 start guy...so now I have 8 starts with one closer vs. his 9 starts with no closers. Should I just go the rest of the way and go 9 for 9 and tie in saves?
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LetsPlay2 » Mon May 23, 2005 2:29 am

No...if your 1 closer is quality then you may lose a couple Ks vs a mediocre 2-start pitcher but you will for sure win saves and may even vulture a win with a closer while he'll never vulture a save with a starter.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KolbSaves » Mon May 23, 2005 2:44 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:I'd take the free half point. At most you're losing two starts out of how many starts? 10-15? You should be able to make that up in wins and k's.

I'm not quite understanding you here...I think you are saying to punt with him, but I'm a little confused with the wording. :-S

Well, I just picked up another 2 start guy...so now I have 8 starts with one closer vs. his 9 starts with no closers. Should I just go the rest of the way and go 9 for 9 and tie in saves?

No I'm saying keep the one guy to win the point in saves (the free half point is the point you gain from winning instead of tying).

I like your strategy this week.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 2:50 am

Ahhhh, now I get it...I am gaining a half a point by doing it. I'm going to stick Izzy in there and hope he saves one against the Bucs or Nats. ;-D

All I know is that I'm going to constantly refresh my browser for the next 10 minutes to make sure he doesn't pull an "eBay auction" move on me...so if you're out there reading this, don't try anything funny. }:-)

I'm sorry, but I think this whole save punting crap is a terrible way to play this game. What type of drafting skill does it show when you have to cycle 2 start pitchers every week to make sure you can just compete in cats, let alone win them. :-t
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Mon May 23, 2005 2:55 am

Exactly, find another league/set of rules next year.

Hard to go wrong with 5x5 roto.
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 23, 2005 3:01 am

KolbSaves wrote:Exactly, find another league/set of rules next year.

Hard to go wrong with 5x5 roto.

I know, I think that the normal categories are very fair. In 5x5 you have to balance SP and RP's well for wins and ratios. I wouldn't have to keep using retreads like Suppan or Penny in a 10 team league with 5 P slots if it weren't for this stupid IP thing. I have to try to match the opponent's starts or I give away a point immediately.

If that wasn't the case, I'd probably be dominating this league. I've lost several points the past few weeks due to save punting. :-[

This is a league made up of people from the Football Cafe. I hate to think that it was set up to try to take advantage of people who have never played before, but it sure seems that way... :,-(

Well, eventually I am going to figure it out. I don't like losing, and if someone tries to pull a fast one on me, I will not be far behind to try to find the best way around it. ;-D
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mamorris » Mon May 23, 2005 6:51 am

In leagues where IP is a category, closers have next to no value (the benefit gained in saves is almost completely wiped out by how much they hurt you in IP). Even starting one closer is risky - you're basically giving a 5-10 IP headstart to the other team, and it's no guarantee you will get the half-point anyway, since closers don't get saves every single week.

To be honest, I think you should have taken the categories into account when drafting. I wouldn't have even considered drafting a closer in a H2H league where IP is a category, and your situation is a perfect example why. I wouldn't consider it a 'crap' strategy either - it's simply taking the rules into account and playing accordingly.

Edit: So, in answer to your question, if I were you I'd see what starters I can get for Wagner and Izzy and not play any closers.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers