has anyone been watching jose guillen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

has anyone been watching jose guillen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

has anyone been watching jose guillen?

Postby sinicalypse » Tue May 27, 2003 12:58 am

i'm just wondering if anyone has perspective beyond the stats for this guy. i looked at his career #s, and this year seems to be a rather pleasant abhorraiton compared to those career #s. i nabbed him in two leagues, mainly as a stop-gap/travel day fill in or perspective tradebait if he keeps it up. he hit HR #10 today, and is like .330/10/30 out of nowhere. i consider the reds a pretty solid lineup with guillen/griffey/kearns/dunn/boone, not to mention that their ballpark is HR friendly... so is this guy just playing way over hsi head, or does he look like he's going to have a career year with the potential to go 30/90 with a .300+ batting average?

since he's free, i'm not really sweating this out either way... but i'd like him to excel so i can ho[pefully package him with someone else for a closer. i just find it a bit odd that here's a guy hitting .330 with 10 HRs and he's a FA in all three of my leagues, two of which are very competitive, and hte third is still a solid league where hot players are picked up a few days later than the other leagues.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cincyreds » Tue May 27, 2003 11:24 am

The word on Guillen is that he went back home country (Venezuela) and played winter ball. He went back there to work on his swing simply to get better so that he could be a starter on a MLB club this season.

He has been rejuvenated and now I think what he is doing this year is legit. I think he is this seasons Junior Spivey but with some power. I think he will keep it up, because he is hungry and out to prove that he should be an everyday player.

I had him earlier in the season, up until Griffey came back and let him go, but it looks like I need to go and get him back because he is making hard for Boone(his manager) to keep him on the bench.

Guillen is still young too, 27 I believe which is the typical age when a player either breaks out or goes bust.

With continued playing time and staying healthy, here are the #'s that I think he will put up this year.

.290-300/25/80-90 rbi with about 10 stolen bases.

He is the real deal right now and if you can get him, get him.

;-D
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

Postby Arlo » Tue May 27, 2003 11:25 am

You're right, it is a bit odd that he isn't receiving as much fantasy attention as his numbers would normally warrent. Part of that might have to do with the fact that he'll occasionally sit thanks to the Reds' crowded OF situation; plus, we've been burned by Guillen and his high potential in the past (raise your hand if you once thought of him as a stud keeper when he came up with the Pirates... !+) ). Once bitten, twice shy, I guess...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benjapage » Tue May 27, 2003 12:25 pm

guillen is an exceptional hitter with obvious pop and some wheels, and one of the most gigormous cannons in all of baseball...that, of course is off-set by his spastic mental approach. he makes bizarre mistakes in the field, but that's not the point. the point (dunn, kearns, griffey) is that he is not--nor will he be on this team--an every day player.

tough to say if he could keep this type of production rolling as an every day starter on another team. safer to say that he will not play all the time here in cincinnati.

that said, and if you can accept his limited role, he will only help your average and power. he may even get some steals because he's crazy as hell--he just takes off like his pants are on fire. and bob bonehead likes to throw him in there as a pinch-runner / pinch-hitter as part of his double and triple...yeah) substitutions.

hope this helps.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby m. shark » Tue May 27, 2003 12:40 pm

Jose is simply an immature person (Jr's back, I don't want to be benched, I want traded!) he says before even talking to Coach Boone - that says enough. I saw a lot of him when he was with the Devil Rays and he was arguably their best player. He had a run-in with general manager Chuck Lamar and was cut. People do not want to put up with his attitude (see Pittsburgh).

Now, since Griffey Jr. has come back, Jose has still been playing just about every day. Bob Boone's not stupid he knows how good this guy is and will find a way to play, but he also knows that he has to baby-sit him. If Jose can focus on baseball (Carl Everette?) he is the real deal. Grab him or keep him, I did. B-)
m. shark
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby benjapage » Tue May 27, 2003 12:41 pm

this (from the cincinnati post) makes it more interesting...

"The Brewers, who have grown weary of outfielder Alex Sanchez, reportedly were interested in Reds outfielder Jose Guillen, who has not been happy since being squeezed out of the starting lineup by Ken Griffey Jr.'s return."
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rufus102 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:37 pm

any further news on Guillen? He hasn't got much play time lately....
rufus102
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ukjohn » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:51 pm

rufus102 wrote:any further news on Guillen? He hasn't got much play time lately....

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't traded. He's been rumored to the Yankees, Tigers, and others though.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby m. shark » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:56 am

The further news on Guillen is that Griffey Jr. is hurt again. I've held onto Jose G. just in case and just in case may be now.
m. shark
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:07 am

m. shark wrote:The further news on Guillen is that Griffey Jr. is hurt again. I've held onto Jose G. just in case and just in case may be now.

he'll play tonight, but looks like Griffey will be back in the lineup on Friday

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers