Really me off - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Really me off

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Mon May 23, 2005 2:20 pm

I dont understand why the Police Department Pension could not pay the child support if this guy gets locked up.
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 23, 2005 2:38 pm

davidmarver wrote:And as far as marijuana being a harmless drug, I don't see how that is. It alters your mind-set and doesn't allow you to percieve things as they are.


I would argue that normal pot, not this chronic stuff, doesn't really alter your mind. At least not in a way that is harmful. I suffer from anxiety and I used to smoke Pot and it helped me out a lot. I stopped doing it, but it was/is the best thing for my anxiety. It obviously alters my brain to help with my problem, however, it didn't hinder me in any way. I never did anything dangerous or put people in danger.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 23, 2005 3:50 pm

Phatferd wrote:
davidmarver wrote:And as far as marijuana being a harmless drug, I don't see how that is. It alters your mind-set and doesn't allow you to percieve things as they are.


I would argue that normal pot, not this chronic stuff, doesn't really alter your mind. At least not in a way that is harmful. I suffer from anxiety and I used to smoke Pot and it helped me out a lot. I stopped doing it, but it was/is the best thing for my anxiety. It obviously alters my brain to help with my problem, however, it didn't hinder me in any way. I never did anything dangerous or put people in danger.


I used to get super paranoid and feel really anxious when I smoked...so I stopped...Should people be put in jail for dealing? Yes I guess so...should they be throwin in pound me in the A prison for 6 years?? No...Should a guy who lets his daughter give him a foot massage in a naughty place go to Pound him in the A prison yes...thats the point...priorities
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Madison » Tue May 24, 2005 2:11 am

Can't believe there's a thread defending the practice of breaking the law by having, using, and/or selling an illegal drug. 8-o

How many million people go over the speed limit in cars? Should we just do away with speed limits completely? Of course not. Just because a bunch of people smoke pot, that doesn't automatically make it legal. They get locked up and do time. They know they are breaking the law, and are choosing to do it anyway. Doesn't matter if it's 15 people or 15 million people. The law is the law. Don't like it? Move to another country that's silly enough to allow it. Otherwise, just hope your cellmate isn't named "Big Bubba" or something similar.

I still think the child molester should be put in "gen pop" for awhile though. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 24, 2005 3:56 am

Madison wrote:Can't believe there's a thread defending the practice of breaking the law by having, using, and/or selling an illegal drug. 8-o

How many million people go over the speed limit in cars? Should we just do away with speed limits completely? Of course not. Just because a bunch of people smoke pot, that doesn't automatically make it legal. They get locked up and do time. They know they are breaking the law, and are choosing to do it anyway. Doesn't matter if it's 15 people or 15 million people. The law is the law. Don't like it? Move to another country that's silly enough to allow it. Otherwise, just hope your cellmate isn't named "Big Bubba" or something similar.

I still think the child molester should be put in "gen pop" for awhile though. :-/


According to your logic then you should go to jail for any law you break? Have you ever Jaywalked, Downloaded music?

I know you like to Gamble, do you claim every single earning you make on your taxes? Even the money they don't tax at the Casinos? You know all those $100 pots you pick up a night that add up to thousands of dollars at the end of the year? :-?

I think the people you claim are "defending" pot users are just saying that they shouldn't be put in jail. Pay a fine, do community service if you get busted? Yeah, you should. Should someone who gets busted for possesion of a gram or less waste space in our jails? No.

Also, you may want to get off the high horse. Move to another country? Who the hell are you to tell people to move to another country? Isn't this country a beautiful place because people can voice their displeasures in the way our government has set up laws? Can't we speak out for what we believe in?

It's funny how this country has made a 180 in the way people percieve America. Its turned into, "If you don't like it you aren't American."
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby Madison » Tue May 24, 2005 4:25 am

Phatferd wrote:According to your logic then you should go to jail for any law you break? Have you ever Jaywalked, Downloaded music?


Where did I say that breaking any law should result in jail time? :-? Jaywalking and selling pot are two completely different things and they have different punishments. When the law calls for jail time for an illegal activity, I fully support sending that person to jail. When it comes to breaking the law, I say hit the person as hard as possible with whatever punishment the law calls for ;-D .

You have to remember too that I'm in Texas. We have the electric chair and we actually USE IT! I have zero sympathy with those who break the law and get in trouble. You speed? Pay the ticket. You have drugs? Go to jail. You murder someone? Fry baby fry!

Phatferd wrote:I know you like to Gamble, do you claim every single earning you make on your taxes? Even the money they don't tax at the Casinos? You know all those $100 pots you pick up a night that add up to thousands of dollars at the end of the year? :-?


Yes, I'm well aware of how much it all adds up to. Just like I'm well aware of how much gas, food, travel expenses, hotel, wear and tear on the car, mileage, internet connection, office in the house, electric for that room, water for that room, etc., add up to. ;-)

Phatferd wrote:I think the people you claim are "defending" pot users are just saying that they shouldn't be put in jail. Pay a fine, do community service if you get busted? Yeah, you should. Should someone who gets busted for possesion of a gram or less waste space in our jails? No.


That's the first time someone's put an amount on the topic. I have to agree that 6 years in prison for a gram of pot is a bit steep, but at the same time, that's the way the law reads, people are aware of the possible punishment, they break the law anyway, and should expect the law to be enforced to the fullest degree. I don't blame the law for that, I blame the person who knowingly breaks the law. No sympathy from me.

From what I was reading, it sure seemed like all potheads thought they should serve no jail time for their illegal activities due to there being so many of them in the country. It doesn't matter how many people smoke pot, the punishment is jail time and everyone knows it, yet they choose to risk the jail time and break the law anyway. Then they go to jail and everyone complains. Why? Everyone knows the law and has the choice on breaking it or not. Doesn't make any sense to me to complain about the law enforcing the law. That's all I was pointing out. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 24, 2005 4:41 am

Thats where we disagree. I don't think a person should be punished for whatever they decide to do in their own house, that does not harm another person. If Joe Shmo wants to light up a reefer and smoke it then by all means knock yourself out.

I just don't get the mindset that thinks we should clog our prisons up with harmless people for harmless acts. You can argue that some drug abusers and probably most do horrible things while on drugs (I argue pot is not high at all) and those people should be punished. If some dude has a little bit of Pot on him and isn't high or used it yet, they shouldn't be put in jail, just a ticket or whatever. Don't tell me that they wouldn't go to jail anyway because I have known and seen people getting arrested for this stuff.

You can say how you itemize your taxes to get tax credit for all of your expenses, but gambling is not a job and you cannot write off exemptions for money spent while gambling. So if you do itemize you are doing it under another form of employment. ;-D

Tax fraud is a felony, which is at least a couple of years in jail. I am sure every single thing you itemize on your taxes is 100% correct to the very last penny :-?

We just disagree. Different philosophies. No worries. Just wanted to clarify your comments saying we defend people who break the law. I am speaking for myself, and I don't defend them, they should get some kind of punishment, they know the risks of what they do. I am just saying jail is a stupid choice in my book. All it does is waste our money and those corners you cut on taxes don't help when paying for them in the slammer. lol ;-D
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby Madison » Tue May 24, 2005 4:58 am

Phatferd wrote:Thats where we disagree. I don't think a person should be punished for whatever they decide to do in their own house, that does not harm another person. If Joe Shmo wants to light up a reefer and smoke it then by all means knock yourself out.

I just don't get the mindset that thinks we should clog our prisons up with harmless people for harmless acts. You can argue that some drug abusers and probably most do horrible things while on drugs (I argue pot is not high at all) and those people should be punished. If some dude has a little bit of Pot on him and isn't high or used it yet, they shouldn't be put in jail, just a ticket or whatever. Don't tell me that they wouldn't go to jail anyway because I have known and seen people getting arrested for this stuff.


I think that's where we disagree the most. Smoking pot isn't a no-victim crime. Smoking pot kills brain cells. That affects people's judgement both while doing it, and down the line after repeated use. That puts people's lives in danger and that's why it's illegal. If there were no long term effects, then I might reconsider, but the long term effects are what makes it illegal.

Phatferd wrote:You can say how you itemize your taxes to get tax credit for all of your expenses, but gambling is not a job and you cannot write off exemptions for money spent while gambling. So if you do itemize you are doing it under another form of employment. ;-D

Tax fraud is a felony, which is at least a couple of years in jail. I am sure every single thing you itemize on your taxes is 100% correct to the very last penny :-?


Disagree. Being classified as a professional poker player does qualify as a job. I know quite a few people who file their taxes that way and it's a completely legal business. I know of others who set it all up under a corporation. Now that's the real way to go if you're looking to cut corners on your taxes and have a job like that. It's amazing the kinds of tax breaks they get. It's all legal though.

As to my taxes, I turn in all my paperwork to the accountant, they tell me how big of a check to write. It's pretty simple on my end and if any of the numbers are wrong, my accountant is on the hook for typing them wrong.

Phatferd wrote:We just disagree. Different philosophies. No worries. Just wanted to clarify your comments saying we defend people who break the law. I am speaking for myself, and I don't defend them, they should get some kind of punishment, they know the risks of what they do. I am just saying jail is a stupid choice in my book. All it does is waste our money and those corners you cut on taxes don't help when paying for them in the slammer. lol ;-D


Agreed, it's all cool. We just disagree about the jail time. I'm for it, you're against it. It's cool. We're all going to disagree on things here and there. If we didn't, it would be a pretty boring world. Lol. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 24, 2005 10:51 am

Not to challenge Madison the super computer but I read an article recently that said people who constantly check their email have worse damage done to their brain then those who smoke pot...

anyways Dangerous crimes, crimes that financially damage people or institutions, molesters are at a whole different level then Sunshine the Hippy.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby catch22 » Tue May 24, 2005 11:43 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I agree that it sucks that he got zero jail time but when a child is involved the main concern for the court is always what is in the best interests of the child.

If putting him behind bars meant that the child had to go through the trauma of testifying in court and at the end of the day it would mean that he would get no child support because a sentence would cancel the offender's pension then even if it sucks don't you think that it is better for the child not to send him to prison.

You've got to balance the purposes of jail time (deterrence, vengence, rehabilitation and removing a threat from society) against the potential harm to the child.

What should have happened is the DA should have thought of a way of getting the evidence in without having the child testify (video evidence or something else) and then the police pension people or the government should have agreed to pay the child the support that he would have lost. Then they should have gone ahead and locked the guy up.

The trouble is that this costs time and money and nobody wants to give that up for a kid who isn't even old enough to vote.


This was my feelings exactly. I went through some stuff when I was a kid. I knew a guy that worked for the YMCA and did Boy Scouts that touched young boys improperly. 2 detectives came to my school to talk to me. It was very uncomfortable. I couldnt imagine being 11 or 12 and have to go in front of a court room and testify about someone touching me. No child should ever have to that. I agree the guy should suffer the consequences, but agree the child has been through enough. Tough either way you swing it.
Image
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 383
Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Great State of Texas

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ICBattethy, unioreimi and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Apr. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Boston
(11:05 am)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact