Really me off - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Really me off

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun May 22, 2005 10:48 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:This sort of thing is inexcusable. I've been complaining about a similar incident for months now.

About a block and a half away from my house, a man convicted of child molestation lives. He was convicted in 1999. He's been living up the street for about a year and a half that I know about. Which means that his sentence was - at most - 4 1/2 years. At the same time, my girlfriend's brother was convicted of selling marijuana. He's in prison for no less than 6 years.

Our priorities are completely misplaced in this country.

Wow, guess he shouldn't have been selling illegal drugs, then? I find it very hard to feel bad for your girlfriend's brother. Yeah, the molester should go away for longer, but you can't let drug dealers (this isn't even just possession, this is actually selling, so hes a dealer) go without punishment. Hope he rots for the next 6 years. ;-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun May 22, 2005 10:58 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:This sort of thing is inexcusable. I've been complaining about a similar incident for months now.

About a block and a half away from my house, a man convicted of child molestation lives. He was convicted in 1999. He's been living up the street for about a year and a half that I know about. Which means that his sentence was - at most - 4 1/2 years. At the same time, my girlfriend's brother was convicted of selling marijuana. He's in prison for no less than 6 years.

Wow, guess he shouldn't have been selling illegal drugs, then? I find it very hard to feel bad for your girlfriend's brother. Yeah, the molester should go away for longer, but you can't let drug dealers (this isn't even just possession, this is actually selling, so hes a dealer) go without punishment. Hope he rots for the next 6 years. ;-D

I agree. I don't at all feel bad for him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby davidmarver » Sun May 22, 2005 11:26 pm

Laean wrote:which part of san diego are you from?

Carlsbad.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon May 23, 2005 12:03 am

Zero jail time? Unreal. He should definitely be in "gen pop" for awhile. :-t

Oh, and people busted for pot should be in jail too. ;-D It's illegal to have or sell, so let them rot ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 23, 2005 9:01 am

I agree that it sucks that he got zero jail time but when a child is involved the main concern for the court is always what is in the best interests of the child.

If putting him behind bars meant that the child had to go through the trauma of testifying in court and at the end of the day it would mean that he would get no child support because a sentence would cancel the offender's pension then even if it sucks don't you think that it is better for the child not to send him to prison.

You've got to balance the purposes of jail time (deterrence, vengence, rehabilitation and removing a threat from society) against the potential harm to the child.

What should have happened is the DA should have thought of a way of getting the evidence in without having the child testify (video evidence or something else) and then the police pension people or the government should have agreed to pay the child the support that he would have lost. Then they should have gone ahead and locked the guy up.

The trouble is that this costs time and money and nobody wants to give that up for a kid who isn't even old enough to vote.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon May 23, 2005 10:39 am

blankman wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:

I agree. I don't at all feel bad for him.

1. The point was that because we're putting drug offenses behind bars, there isn't room to keep child molesters in prison.

2. He wasn't selling. But if you have a certain amount - even if you're just a giant pothead - they put you away as a dealer. That's the law.

3. I don't feel sorry for him either. He was going to prison one way or another. But the

point is that any law that makes criminals out of 15 million Americans is probably not such a good idea. The point was that drug abuse isn't a criminal issue, it's a healthcare issue. And the money and manpower we spend prosecuting a surfer in San Diego might better be used fighting things that genuinely threaten our national health and safety.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 23, 2005 11:43 am

You hope he Rots for selling pot??? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jerk whats wrong with you seriously? A non violent crime and a non harmful drug? Rot? Thats a little harsh ... now my pot smoking days have been behind me for a few years now but still come on. .. 6 years in jail??? thats terrible...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon May 23, 2005 1:54 pm

What you're doing is attempting to say having pot isn't a crime, or that you shouldn't be punished for it. It is a crime though, and therefore he should be punished for the crime he committed. I don't care whether he actually sold it or not; the substance itself is illegal anyway.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 23, 2005 2:12 pm

blankman wrote:What you're doing is attempting to say having pot isn't a crime, or that you shouldn't be punished for it. It is a crime though, and therefore he should be punished for the crime he committed. I don't care whether he actually sold it or not; the substance itself is illegal anyway.

I mean no disrespect, I just want to have a real discussion so please don't take this the wrong way.

If we committed every single person who breaks a law, we would have more problems. According to your thinking we should put people away for Jaywalking? Stealing a $5 dollar piece of food?

On top of that if every single Pot user in this country were to get arrested, about 40% of the U.S. population would be behind bars. I am sure tax payers would be bitching when this happens.

By the way the substence itself is not illegal. You can smoke all you want in your own home. I had a frined actually get busted a couple of weeks ago and the cop took it and said smoke your pot at home and you won't be in these kinds of problems.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Mon May 23, 2005 2:15 pm

blankman wrote:What you're doing is attempting to say having pot isn't a crime, or that you shouldn't be punished for it. It is a crime though, and therefore he should be punished for the crime he committed. I don't care whether he actually sold it or not; the substance itself is illegal anyway.

I don't think anyone is arguing that. What we are arguing is our judicial priorities. How is it that a child molester recieves less jail time than someone involved in drugs? Yes, each of them are crimes, and I'm not arguing against dealers going to jail, just that if the sentence for dealing drugs is six years, the sentence for child molestation should be more than six years. To say the child is better off with this man not in prison is asinine and really is not relevent to the case. The government has the responsibility of protecting its people. Obviously, they didn't do so here, otherwise this man wouldn't be free to commit the same crime again without some sort of punishment. Who cares about measley child support dollars at this point; the girl has been violated to the point where every penny this guy earns after his release from jail should be hers anyways. Why can't the government loan the family money? Grrr...believe me, there's nothing that gets me going more than criminals being let off-the-hook, especially when it's offenses this serious.

And as far as marijuana being a harmless drug, I don't see how that is. It alters your mind-set and doesn't allow you to percieve things as they are. It's harmful in the short-term for that reason; I haven't wasted time trying to find studies for the long-term although it has to do damage to your lungs and probably to your brain, at least to your feeling sensors. Sure, it doesn't make sense why alcohol is legal and marijuana is not, since too much alcohol at one time will kill you; not the case with marijuana. Either way, it doesn't matter. If you're caught with the drug you do jail time, just like if you molest a child you do jail time.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk