Atlanta Closer Situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Atlanta Closer Situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Atlanta Closer Situation

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun May 22, 2005 2:26 am

Anyone have any info??? Bernero went the eighth and Reitsma allowed two runs in the ninth protecting a four run lead. I probably shouldn' go near this bullpen, but I need saves. Bernero is already taken in my league and saves are few and far between on the waiver wire. Any info would be appreciated.
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MinorityAuthority » Sun May 22, 2005 2:40 am

When you see somebody get a save or 2, or if you see a closer get hurt, that's when you pick up WW relievers. I'm willing to bet you missed the boat on Batista, Lyon, Turnbow, Brazoban, Hermanson, Urbina, T.Jones, Walker, H.Street, Bruney, etc... Well anyway if you want to pick up somebody try these guys:

Brian Fuentes on COL
Mike Wood or Mike MacDougal or Andrew Sisco on KC

But next time try to pay more attention rather then ask for others to bail your poor decision making out.
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
MinorityAuthority
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby clarkw267 » Sun May 22, 2005 4:05 am

Incase you didn't notice, helping people with information is what this site is all about. So if you don't like it then don't come here. Congratulations you're a meathead son.
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby shaggyjb » Sun May 22, 2005 7:50 am

MinorAuthority, he asked for information, not a lecture. He is the norm, you are the ass.
shaggyjb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bogie » Sun May 22, 2005 8:23 am

CeeLoGreen -- here is some detail I have for you. Hope it helps

Sporing News said that:
Bernero is expected to take over the closer duties for the struggling Dan Kolb.
Fantasy Source spin: Bernero has the most upside of the multiple closer options in Arizona, San Francisco and Kansas City because he has pitched well this season (2.78 ERA, 19 Ks in 22.2 innings). It also doesn't hurt that the Braves are in position to win plenty of games. (Roger Kuznia/TSN).

Fox Sports said this on Dan Kolb: The Braves have run out of patience with Dan Kolb – at least for now. Look for Adam Bernero, Chris Reitsma and even Kevin Gryboski (eventually) to get shots at closing. None of these choices is great. However, if a few saves could alter the standings in your league, why not take a shot. As to Kolb, anyone surprised by this development needs to spend more time on Rotoworld.

Kansas City Star said: Braves still searching for man of saves and will use a committee.

By JEFF PASSAN The Kansas City Star

Come on. It's not like an established closer was actually going to succeed in Atlanta.

Danny Kolb, the All-Star acquired from Milwaukee this offseason for top prospect Jose Capellan, lost his job last week. Manager Bobby Cox will use a committee in the meantime, summoning Adam Bernero, Chris Reitsma and Jorge Sosa, among others.

Of course, it simply carries on the tradition of the uncertainty that accompanies closing for the Braves. Since their run of 13 consecutive division titles started in 1991, the Braves have changed closers on average every two years.

Juan Berenguer and Alejandro Peña. Mike Stanton and Greg McMichael. Mark Wohlers and Kerry Ligtenberg and John Rocker and finally, mercifully, John Smoltz the last three years.

Only with Smoltz's move back to the rotation, the Braves wanted a veteran. In came Kolb. Out went hope of an easy ninth inning.

“We need to straighten it out before it explodes,” Braves manager Bobby Cox said. “That's what we're doing.”

With 16 walks in 16 2/3 innings, Kolb, generally a control pitcher, has been all over the place. When he throws balls in the strike zone, they get whacked. Yet he says he'll stay with the same philosophy, even at Cox's urging to change.

“I pitch the way I pitch,” Kolb said of that suggestion. “I'm a fastball guy. I'm getting ground balls now. I'm just going to try to keep going (at) guys.”
bogie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bolts801 » Sun May 22, 2005 9:53 am

In my view of watching the game last night. Reitsma's mini fiasco with the red sox was a confirmation to the coaches last night to make benero the MAIN closer. Reitsma or however you spell has struggled before while benero has yet to.

They had a lead to tinker with, a good one, and wanted to see if reitsma would faulter again. and he did. I know the conditions were crappy.. but none the less.

I know benero is taken, so I wouldn't bother picking up reitsma especially if whip, and ERA are a factor in your league.
"Before becoming rich and famous. Just try being rich first."

Bill Murray.
bolts801
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yossarian » Sun May 22, 2005 12:58 pm

clarkw267 wrote:Congratulations you're a meathead son.
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

Is that a "Real World/Road Rules Inferno" reference, or have I been watching too much TV lately?
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Sun May 22, 2005 6:35 pm

brian bruneys closing in FA if u want a closer
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun May 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies and that man is a tool. For the record, Turnbow and Urbina are now in my rotation and I traded T. Walker for E. Chavez. You can never have too many relievers. Loser.
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Mon May 23, 2005 4:48 am

yossarian wrote:
clarkw267 wrote:Congratulations you're a meathead son.
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

Is that a "Real World/Road Rules Inferno" reference, or have I been watching too much TV lately?

That is Archie Bunker my friend. I was a bit too young to appreciate All In The Family when I was a kid, but I love it now. Talk about a politically incorrect show for today. You would be surprised with what they could get away with back then.
Then I watched Blazing Saddles :)
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates