Canceling AOL? Anyone have a number? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Canceling AOL? Anyone have a number?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Canceling AOL? Anyone have a number?

Postby Phatferd » Sat May 21, 2005 10:06 pm

Does anyone have a good number to cancel AOL? I am going to cancel it and whenever I call the customer service line and they transfer me to the cancellations, I am on hold for 2 hours and I hang up.

I have also heard they will continue to bill you even after you talk to someone and cancel it, so I am going to tell my bank to not make any payments to them, but I need to contact them first, so I cover my back on that end.

Thanks.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat May 21, 2005 10:33 pm

I remember having trouble when we canceled our AOL too. Do you have automatic payment from a credit card? If so make sure you stop that right now because when I tried to cancel our AOL account they gave me the the run around for a while and another billing cycle started before I finally got it taken care of. :-t I don't know how in the world they haven't been taken to task on some of their claims about security and customer support. I had nothing but trouble with them when they were my ISP. :-t :-t Good luck, you'll probably need it. :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby GiantFan666 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:08 pm

People actually pay for AOL ??? My buddy calls up to cancel every month and they give him a free month to stay w/ them.... Benn doing it for 2 years now and the only payment he's ever made was right when he started
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mets4Life » Sun May 22, 2005 1:09 pm

GiantFan666 wrote:People actually pay for AOL ??? My buddy calls up to cancel every month and they give him a free month to stay w/ them.... Benn doing it for 2 years now and the only payment he's ever made was right when he started

You're kidding right?
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Punisher » Sun May 22, 2005 1:16 pm

GiantFan666 wrote:People actually pay for AOL ??? My buddy calls up to cancel every month and they give him a free month to stay w/ them.... Benn doing it for 2 years now and the only payment he's ever made was right when he started

LMAO thats hilarious
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Sun May 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Mets4Life wrote:

You're kidding right?

Dead serious!! A couple of months ago they actually tried to take a payment and he got them to credit his card back... If you call later in the evening the calls get routed to their overseas call center, either in Mumbai, India or the Phillipines and you can usually get away w/ more that way.
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 22, 2005 3:03 pm

GiantFan666 wrote:
Mets4Life wrote:

You're kidding right?

Dead serious!! A couple of months ago they actually tried to take a payment and he got them to credit his card back... If you call later in the evening the calls get routed to their overseas call center, either in Mumbai, India or the Phillipines and you can usually get away w/ more that way.

I've read that this is their trick. They still charge you 12.95 for their service, however, they don't charge you the extra 15 bucks for their minutes. Another thing, when the free trial is up they sign you up automatially for their most expensive service which is $70 bucks a month.

I hate AOL and only had it cause other people in the house wanted it. Finally got DSL a while back and have slowly introduced to them the wonders of other ISPs.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 23, 2005 11:58 am

I had free AOL and tried to cancel this is what the convo went like:

After on hold for 3 days I get someone in Bombay, India

AOL: Hello AOL customer service.

ME: Hi I want to cancel my AOL account

AOL: Oh I'm sorry can I ask why?

ME: Yes I'm poor and my parents have AOL so I'll just use their account now.

AOL: Oh but did you know AOL now lets you have your own email account!

ME: Yes but I have a free email account so I'm ok

AOL : Oh but you probably want to have your own.

ME: No thanks

AOL: WHy?

ME: Cause I have no money.

AOL: So do you konw about our excellent virus protection program.

ME: Please just cancel my account

AOL: Well only cool people have AOL so I guess your not cool.

ME: Excuse me?

AOL: How bout we extend you for free for 6 more months.

ME: No please cancel it.

AOL: But its free

ME: I don't care

AOL: Free means no money you can't turn down something free.

ME: Yes I can.

AOL: Please don't cancel I have 5 children to feed!

ME: What?

AOL: You are an evil man unless you keep AOL

ME: Just cancel it.

AOL: Ok Ill set you up for 6 more free months!

ME: NO!!!

AOL: Ok 6 more months free there ya go. Just call back in 6 months time if you want to cancel again.

ME: ........ok bye
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigMusky » Mon May 23, 2005 1:16 pm

Phatferd wrote:
GiantFan666 wrote:
Mets4Life wrote:

You're kidding right?

I've read that this is their trick. They still charge you 12.95 for their service, however, they don't charge you the extra 15 bucks for their minutes. Another thing, when the free trial is up they sign you up automatially for their most expensive service which is $70 bucks a month.

I hate AOL and only had it cause other people in the house wanted it. Finally got DSL a while back and have slowly introduced to them the wonders of other ISPs.

YOu can do the same thing to keep your initiation rate on your cable modem.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Return to General Talk