What's Up With The Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's Up With The Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pilambp » Tue May 27, 2003 9:52 am

And the Yankees thought they had the last laugh when they snatched up Contreras out of the Sox's grasp.... Looks like Theo Epstein is the one smiling right now... hopefully the sox get the last laugh.

And as for the yankees, it's only a matter of time before George throws money at the problem... but.. what problem? The lineup is solid, rotation is good. The bullpen and bench are problems, but who do you get to shake that up? A quality bench player that challenges the starters for PT? Or a top of the line setup man like the Karsay/Stanton combo of old?
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue May 27, 2003 11:26 am

Contreras has been TOUGH his last two outings and may be taking a turn in the rotation for Wells. I desperately want to pick him up, but my bench is full of Piazza, Izzy and Dave Roberts.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby YankFan51 » Tue May 27, 2003 1:22 pm

I don't know the Red Sox? Gimme a break. I watch them on NESN all the time. And quite honestly, I don't see the Yankees or them being contenders for the World Series this year, and this is coming from a Yankee fan. Sure, things are going right for them right now, so Red Sox fans put their usual blinders on as always in the early season. They don't even realize that pitching wins championships, and their best one, who they would need to even think of competing in post-season, is one bad tweak of his shoulder away from never being the same. How about their defense? Can you say pretty damn poor. Nomar might be an awesome hitter, but he makes a ton of errors, Manny Ramirez should be DHing every game with his fielding, Hillenbrand isn't much in the field, and they don't exactly have gold glovers to compensate, with the possible exception of Damon.

What about their bullpen? Umm, you can say Brandon Lyon hasn't blown a save yet, but if you're comfortable with that closing a big game, you got some problems.

Sure, their hitting is well, but that's overachieving a bit right now. You honestly think Todd Walker is going to hit .325 all year or Bill Mueller continue to hit .390? That's like Rey Sanchez hitting .330 early last year for them. I hope Johnny Damon gets it together a little for my fantasy team, but he's not much more than a .280 leadoff hitter, and that's the best I expect.

In conclusion, don't generalize that I don't know Boston just because I say something you don't agree with. Just as an outside observer, and not someone with blinders on, sees the holes in BOTH the Yankees and Red Sox. Both teams have defense, bullpen, and starting pitching problems.
My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we've always been red white and blue
"Red White and Blue," Lynyrd Skynyrd
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Quaker » Tue May 27, 2003 1:41 pm

Forget the BoSox and Yanks, this is the year that the Jays return to their late 80s/early 90s glory. How sweet that sounds.
Current record: 28-24, five game winning streak. Predicted record: 138-24, on their way to winning a World Series over the Braves... again.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby YankFan51 » Tue May 27, 2003 2:07 pm

Yeah, Toronto does like quite impressive. I liked their chances of going over .500 this year. If only Hinske was playing like last year, this team would be very formidable.
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Quaker » Tue May 27, 2003 2:15 pm

And if only they had some starting pitching behind Halladay. Yeah, Lidle's got some wins, but hopefully he gets his ERA down. Hendrickson, Davis... who the hell are those guys? And why is Escobar starting?
I think they'll finish over .500 this year. I also think they'll compete for a playoff spot in 2 years, once they shore up their pitching staff. They've got some future valuable fantasy players waiting in the minors too.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby YankFan51 » Tue May 27, 2003 2:18 pm

yeah, well a lot of good teams seemingly only have 2 good starters, and somehow win. St Louis with Woody and Morris, San Fran with Schmidt and Reuter, Houston with Oswalt and Miller. I don't think the Jays are too far away.
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Tue May 27, 2003 4:26 pm

Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Yankees Sox Athletics!
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers