Two injured pitching prospects on the rebound: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Two injured pitching prospects on the rebound:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Two injured pitching prospects on the rebound:

Postby hybrid » Sat May 21, 2005 9:27 am

Two former elite left handers are looking to come back in the not so distant futures and reestablish themselves. Who are these once top prospects you ask, well they would be Cole Hamels and Greg Miller.

Hamels is now fully healed and ready to get back to playing baseball. He has already been throwing and recently threw a side session of 45 pitches, Cole said he felt good and had no problems at all. The Phillies are looking to get him to where he will be able to go 3 innings, after that he should join their High A team. Hamel's time table as to when that will happen seems to be about 2 weeks or about early June.

The Phillies High A team is in Clearwater, right next to Tampa, so I will defiantly get some chances to go out and see him this year. He has been one of my fav. prospects and IMO was a better prospect then Kazmir before the injuries. It seems he has been gone for quite a bit, but he is still only 21 and has plenty of time to prove himself again.

Alright so what about Greg Miller, eh? It seems somewhat odd that he has been out for over a year and yet he never had any structural damage or anything that was real serious. None the less he is back pitching after the long lay off and can you believe he is only 20 still?

Well a few days ago Miller threw 20 pitches against live batters. He threw mainly fastballs with a few curves and change ups (not to mention a slider). At the end Greg wanted to know what he was hitting on the gun, "86-88?" he said. The player that was holding the gun looked at him and said "Are you kidding?", it turns out he was easily hitting 90-91 with most fastballs and even going as high as 93-94. Not bad for a first time Miller said, who also wasn't satisfied with his velocity and needs to build his arm strength back up.

The next step was for him is to throw again in a few days (he hoped it would be today) in which he will throw more pitches. What is he doing after that? Right now I haven't read anything that says what he will be up to after that, but when he gets back to pitching in games he should start at High A just like Cole. Also like Hamels, their High A team is in Vero which is pretty close ... letting me most likely catch him sometime this year.

Anyways, there has been very little info on these pitchers lately so I thought I'd get some people caught up who might be interested in these two lefties.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hawgvike » Sat May 21, 2005 9:32 am

ive held onto miller for nearly 2 years in my dynasty league since he was dominating AA before he went down. i havent gotten rid of him b/c i know he's a special talent and could move through the minors pretty quickly. hopefully he comes back in early june and starts dominating again.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phantom Tag » Sat May 21, 2005 10:04 am

I don't own either of these 2 guys in any of my dynasty/keeper leagues but I do appreciate the update hybrid ;-D
Phantom Tag
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat May 21, 2005 10:15 am

I was a big fan of both of these guys, (especially Miller) nice to see them returning. Hope to see them pitching in a game soon. ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby El Jefe » Sun May 22, 2005 12:14 pm

hawgvike wrote:ive held onto miller for nearly 2 years in my dynasty league since he was dominating AA before he went down. i havent gotten rid of him b/c i know he's a special talent and could move through the minors pretty quickly. hopefully he comes back in early june and starts dominating again.

I've held onto Hamels for the past couple of seasons for the same reason. Hopefully, our patience will be rewarded...soon. ;-D
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:23 am

Hamels Update:

" ... Hamels is scheduled to pitch in a simulated game on Monday or Tuesday, his first action since breaking his left hand in an offseason bar fight. “We’ve got to get him up to five innings before he’s ready to go into a real game,” Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle said. Hamels had a recent bout with back spasms, but recovered quickly and is on a regular throwing program. Barring another setback, Hamels still is expected to debut in the Gulf Coast League later this month and then make a quick jump to the Threshers."
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:55 am

cant wait to see if they will still be a elite prospect due to their injuries and time missed.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:29 am

Well good news for one and a set back for the other.

• After two shoulder surgeries, Dodgers lefthander Greg Miller is still on the road to recovery at the club's extended spring training facility in Vero Beach, Fla. The Dodgers had hoped to get Miller to an affiliate in June, but the supplemental first-round pick in 2002 had another setback and his timetable was pushed back by about a month.

"(We) got real excited three weeks ago when he threw in an extended game," farm director Terry Collins said. "He threw 94 (mph) and all of a sudden his shoulder started to bother him again and we shut him down. He's back in the bullpen, and we're hoping that perhaps by the end of July he's going to pitch in a game some place."

Miller hasn't pitched since 2003, when he established himself as the top lefthander in the minors. He went 11-4, 2.49 with 111 strikeouts at high Class A Vero Beach, then racked up 40 more strikeouts in just 27 innings at Double-A Jacksonville before the surgeries shut him down. "Dr. (Frank) Jobe explained to me that this is going to happen," Collins said of Miller's setbacks during rehab. "We're talking about a guy who hasn't pitched in two years, but we feel that Greg is still going to be fine."

Cole Hamels also had a set back earlier in his rehab to come back, but he seems perfectly fine now. He had his season debut in High A, and besides a couple walks ... he was flat out dominating again.

His stat line: 5IP 0H 0ER 2BB 8K - you would think he never missed a beat while he was out
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:27 pm

Hamels Update: Pitched another shut out, 6IP 3H 0ER 0BB 5K

So far he is: 11IP 3H 0ER 2BB 13K in High A so far. He wasn't challenged last year in High A before he was hurt, and it doesn't seem like anything has changed. After they think he is good to go, I'd imagine they put him in AA.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball