Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you want Clemens back in Pinstripes?

Yes - but only if the cost is reasonable
67%
Yes - whatever it takes to make him a Yankee again
13%
No - he's just not worth it at all
7%
No - let him rot in Houston, if being a Yankee is so important to him he should have stuck around 2 years ago.
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:24 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Well, in the Yankees defense, they have made an artform of overhyping their prospects to the extent that they can get a ton for them. I understand that a lot of the deals that they make are them taking on a lot of salary but their claim to fame used to be dumping prospects and watching them excel elsewhere. Can anyone name a prospect or 2 that the Yankees have traded away that has come back to bite them in the rump??

Depends what you call a prospect, and what you define as biting you in the rump. :-D

Mike Lowell comes to mind. Willy Mo Pena. Marte. All would be helpful on the Yankees now. Halsey is a good one, and Claussen could be half decent. I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting.

But the Yankees turned Lowell in to Denny Neagle. :-D I will actually give you Lowell although if they kept him around, there would be no A-Rod. That said, nice memory there. The jury is still out on Halsey and Claussen but I haven't seen anything from them to indicate that they will really come back to haunt them. The same can be said for Pena. He is too flawed, IMHO, to ever be a really solid major leaguer. I am talking about the old ways of trading Willie McGee, Jay Buhner, Doug Drabek, and company.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Well, in the Yankees defense, they have made an artform of overhyping their prospects to the extent that they can get a ton for them. I understand that a lot of the deals that they make are them taking on a lot of salary but their claim to fame used to be dumping prospects and watching them excel elsewhere. Can anyone name a prospect or 2 that the Yankees have traded away that has come back to bite them in the rump??

Depends what you call a prospect, and what you define as biting you in the rump. :-D

Mike Lowell comes to mind. Willy Mo Pena. Marte. All would be helpful on the Yankees now. Halsey is a good one, and Claussen could be half decent. I'm sure there are many more I'm forgetting.

But the Yankees turned Lowell in to Denny Neagle. :-D I will actually give you Lowell although if they kept him around, there would be no A-Rod. That said, nice memory there. The jury is still out on Halsey and Claussen but I haven't seen anything from them to indicate that they will really come back to haunt them. The same can be said for Pena. He is too flawed, IMHO, to ever be a really solid major leaguer. I am talking about the old ways of trading Willie McGee, Jay Buhner, Doug Drabek, and company.

And if they had that quality in their system nowadays, it would probably be traded. :-t
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:24 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

What about Marte, though? The Yanks signed him in 2000, I think, and later traded him for... Enrique Wilson.

A fireballing lefthander out of the pen wouldn't be too bad now, would it?

Does Ted Lilly count?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:30 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

What about Marte, though? The Yanks signed him in 2000, I think, and later traded him for... Enrique Wilson.

A fireballing lefthander out of the pen wouldn't be too bad now, would it?

Does Ted Lilly count?

Good catch on Marte but I don't know about him. Again, I am talking about the Yankees of old that traded future stars. Everyone does it from time to time but they used to make a habit of it. They definitely could have used him but he has been inconsistent. They also got him after 8 years of nothing in Seattle. More surprising is that the Pirates gave up on him. :-°

Lilly is another 1. Has been good but nothing great and I don't see him coming back to haunt the Yanks.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dimaggio5 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:37 pm

Agreed the jury is still out but wait a few more years and the Yanks' bad trades will really come back to haunt us big time. Here are some more names for foddar......

Yhancy Brozaban RP LAD
Nick Johnson 1b Was
Jake Westbrook SP Clev
Willy Mo Pena OF Reds
Eric Milton SP Reds
Bob Wickman RP Clev
Tony Armas Jr Was

And there is another player who's name I can't recall. He was a middle infielder traded with Soriano for Arod. A SS who I hear is supposidly better than Soriano if you can believe that. He has been so impressive that Texas has him already notched in to replace Sori after he moves on.

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:48 pm

Joaquin Arias

Yea I wouldn't sweat that one. He's a nice prospect but he's no Arod. I'd throw away a prospect like him (who still has a lot to prove) any day to get a player of Arod's calibre. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:36 am

dimaggio5 wrote:Agreed the jury is still out but wait a few more years and the Yanks' bad trades will really come back to haunt us big time. Here are some more names for foddar......

Yhancy Brozaban RP LAD
Nick Johnson 1b Was
Jake Westbrook SP Clev
Willy Mo Pena OF Reds
Eric Milton SP Reds
Bob Wickman RP Clev
Tony Armas Jr Was

And there is another player who's name I can't recall. He was a middle infielder traded with Soriano for Arod. A SS who I hear is supposidly better than Soriano if you can believe that. He has been so impressive that Texas has him already notched in to replace Sori after he moves on.

Well, I hear ya here but none of them are that great and will come back to haunt you. The best is Nick Johnson, but he, Brazoban, and Armas, Jr. have indirectly brought back RJ. He has sucked so far but he will be fine. Wickman was O.K. but he brought back Lloyd, who helped. Westbrook is solid but is no one that will bite us plus he gave us Justice, who helped for some time. Milton brought back Knoblauch, who was a shell of his former self but still helped. The jury is still out on Pena but he will never amoun t to a great major leaguer.

I don't want to diminish them but none of them would have won or lost a title.
Lofunzo

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:31 pm

blankman wrote:I can't argue with having him back, but I absolutely do not want to see Cano go for anyone. Here's one guy the Yankees have actually brought up, he's very young and he looks great.

If it were just taking on the salary, I'd love the deal, but that likely won't work. :-/

Exactly my feeling, no Cano, no Wang.

Otherwise I can care less if they get him. They aren't going anywhere this year anyway, I hope they just stay put unless they can really just give up crap for him, which won't happen.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:33 pm

The one player I wish the Yankees still had is Nick Johnson.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:27 am

Clemens would have to be the most expensive hired gun ever. Dude's making $18 million this year, roughly 3 million a month. If he gets traded around the July 31st deadline, that would equate to $6 million for the rest of the year and Clemens' contract also stipulates that he receives $3 million if he gets traded. If he gets around 10 starts for the rest of the season, that would be almost a million bucks a start :-o Also adds to the annual payroll and luxury tax probably right? Yikes, I know George is a free-spender but that would be quite expensive.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to New York Yankees