you guys are suppose to be HITTING...NOT stinkin it up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

you guys are suppose to be HITTING...NOT stinkin it up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

you guys are suppose to be HITTING...NOT stinkin it up

Postby achouboy » Mon May 26, 2003 11:18 am

The first 3 weeks it was ok....BUT slumping for 1/3 of a season???? Time for an re-evaluation if they still slump...because they are killing fantasy owners including me so far... How do you think these players will do for the rest of the season....

Miguel Tejada
Pat Burrell
Paul Konerko
Lance Berkman
Jason Giambi
Magglio Ordonez
Shawn Green
Larry Walker
Torii Hunter
Eric Chavez
Ryan Klesko
Hideki Matsui

I think i've covered most of them...
achouboy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby KDOGG » Mon May 26, 2003 11:29 am

dont fret my pet because most of those guys will end up giving you cold sweats in the middle of the night if you trade them away !
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby achouboy » Mon May 26, 2003 11:42 am

I guess my question is that out of this list...do you guys see anyone to continue carrying out this slump...perhaps for the rest of the season?
achouboy

Postby jdh » Mon May 26, 2003 12:34 pm

Hunter, Matsui and possibly Burrell would be the only ones I'd be concerned with. Hunter had always been a .250-.260 hitter over his career before having an MVP calibre first half last year. He went on to have a real slump second half, so it's possible that his first half performance last year was a fluke and he's really only about a .260 hitter. Matsui should adapt better to MLB hitting as the season goes on, but since he has never gone through an entire MLB season, there is the risk that he will never catch on. Burrell has his breakout season last year, and everyone thought he was in for an even better season, but it's possible that won't happen.

All of the rest of the guys have track records of 2+ seasons of consistency and it's highly likely that they will come back to their career norms, if not have a career season this year. Alot of the slumpers (Berkman, Giambi, Walker, Chavez, Klesko) can be attributed to nagging injuries.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Real Deal » Mon May 26, 2003 5:05 pm

Well, I sure hope they bust out---I have Berkman, Giambi, Mag Ordonez, and Hunter...I already dropped Konerko, and nobody has picked him up, but he has given anybody a reason to.
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Mon May 26, 2003 7:57 pm

Chavez better pick it up soon.

:-[

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 26, 2003 8:33 pm

Take a look at their career OPS to see who will bounce back..

Miguel Tejada - .115 under his career OPS
Pat Burrell - .078 under
Paul Konerko - .199 under
Lance Berkman - .162 under
Jason Giambi - .235 under
Magglio Ordonez - .054 under
Shawn Green - .082 under
Larry Walker - .095 under
Torii Hunter - .026 under
Eric Chavez - .029 under
Ryan Klesko - .035 under

Using just these numbers, Hunter, Chavez and Klesko aren't likely to get much better. OTOH, Giambi, Konerko and Berkman should rebound thunderously unless they have health problems.

A few more players who could be on the list,

Bagwell - .118 under
Manny Ramirez - .110 under
Thome - .120 under

Just something to think about. :)
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 51)

Re: you guys are suppose to be HITTING...NOT stinkin it up

Postby sinicalypse » Tue May 27, 2003 1:17 am

Miguel Tejada - played somewhat over his head last season. i'm thinking .265/32/90-100 though, which is still respectable for a SS... but if you drafted him to be a crux of your offense, you will be let down.

Pat Burrell - slow start, but a quality power hitter. i'm thinking .270/35/115 this season.. it doesnt look like he's evolved beyond the status he was last year.

Paul Konerko - ouch. i'm thinking .270/20/75 this season. if he continues playing like crap, i could see .260/15/55 though. he looks to be one of, if not the biggest busts in all of fantasy this season.

Lance Berkman - don't know a whole lot about the guy, but .280/30/95 doesn't seem like a horrible prediction.. if he catches fire, maybe 35/110, but i doubt it.

Jason Giambi - looks like his average will dip this season, but .275/37/110 wouldn't be completely horrible, just not as good as you thought.

Magglio Ordonez - looks like he too will fall off as long as hte sox play sub .500 ball, likely to heat up when they're out of contention and the pressure is off. .280/33/110 seems about right.

Eric Chavez - .275/35/110 seems about right.

Hideki Matsui - .275/15/90 anyone? unless he has a torrid surge, it doesnt seem like he'll hit 20 this year. but he's a solid RBI guy who looks like he'll kill you in the HR dept if you need htat power.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Return to Baseball Leftovers