Let's talk about cancer... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Let's talk about cancer...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk about cancer...

Postby warrick95 » Fri May 20, 2005 1:37 pm

I know this isn't exactly the greatest, most fun, hottest, funniest, or most entertaining topic for a post that I could've thought of. However, I did see a tidbit the other day about Livestrong bands and the huge racket they've caused in the world market. I saw how many were opening up about their lives with or around cancer during interviews. It is odd that that sort of thing has made me want to open up. I really have never shared something like this with many people, especially over something like the internet. In fact, I do more to mask who I am than expose it. I've always been an extremely closed person, even with friends and family members. Now, I don't know any of y'all really intimately, but we've had our share of fun and games, and y'all are a part of my daily life (yes, that was quite corny...feel free to insert some epic type music here...or collectively saw "aww" :-D).

So the question is, have you or your loved ones experienced cancer of any form?

I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on September 27, 2002, and underwent chemotherapy until April of 2005. I am off chemotherapy now and finally looking forward to life as it is. I'm quite fortunate and thankful to still be alive, but am also disappointed and depressed that I've missed out on three years of regular High School life. However, I suppose that this is the best example of where "looking at the big picture" is the key. I guess what I can say from this experience, other than to live a healthy lifestyle and to always look at the big picture...that some things in life, like your health, are more important than other things. Like I said, I'm really looking forward to finally take the harness off and just run. I can leave the limitations behind and live my life.

I really don't know why I posted this, but I was, for some odd reason, compelled to. Since there are a lot of people here, I wanted to see the various responses, I suppose.

This oddly feels like on of those "coming out of the closet" moments. So this is what gays feel like when they announce their sexual preference. ;-) No offense to anybody's gender preference made here. I just had to make a stupid joke for comic relief.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri May 20, 2005 1:49 pm

I don't personally really know anyone that's died of cancer (thank God), although one of my friends' father died just this year of it.

I don't know what to say to you, but that I'm happy for you and hope the rest of your life is much easier than those hard times ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 20, 2005 1:51 pm

My grandma had cancer, chem didnt work and decided to stop so she could just go in peace...and then got better? Really wierd, and that was long before I was born. Grandpa had cancer and beat it. My wifes aunt did not though. She was 42 and was battling since I met my wife. They said she was young, and that is twice your age! Dont worry about the high school thing, college is way better ;-D
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 pm

My Grandmother died of liver cancer. By the time they found it, it was too late. My wife's Dad died on lung cancer when she was 4. :,-(
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby RugbyD » Fri May 20, 2005 1:56 pm

lost 2 GP's to lung cancer, but was too young to really understand how bad that is to have. i second musky's last comment.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 20, 2005 2:03 pm

Mother had breast cancer but caught it early. Grandmother lost her arm and both breasts to cancer but survived another 40 or so years....

Cancer makes me paranoid...what are they symptoms? That is the question I always have.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby warrick95 » Fri May 20, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks for the support, guys.

In reply to ACS, it varies with the types of cancers. Since the types of cancers are so far-ranging, it's tough to say. I believe strange lumps in some areas are a sign of tumors that could be cancerous. In terms of leukemia, here's some stuff I got:
a. fatigue (low hemoglobin counts...red blood cells)
b. petechiae, easy bruising, inability of blood clotting (low platelet counts)
c. virus-like symptoms of discomfort, weakness, the aforementioned fatigue.

Basically what happens is that your bone marrow goes haywire and produces excessive white blood cells and stops with other types of cells, like platelets and red blood cells. However, those white blood cells are purely pointless and do not do the normal things that your neutrophils, lymphocytes, etc. do, like fight infection.

Apparently certain areas like the spleen and liver get enlarged, too. They were checking me out for that when diagnosed.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri May 20, 2005 2:46 pm

Man, I hope you are in remission and can live a cancer-free life... ;-D

My mom had cancer in her neck back in the earlier days...they gave her cobalt radiation to get rid of it. It hasn't come back, but she has some pretty bad medical problems because of the radiation. Seems like she basically got hit by an a-bomb and has all sorts of side effects from it. :,-(

My oldest uncle just died from it, and one of my grandfathers had it too. I'm really scared that I will get it someday. I'm always feeling around for bumps and stuff...it just makes me more paranoid if I do.

I have a feeling that every living person will have a family member or friend hit with cancer in the not too distant future...it's already very prevalent in the world. I really hope we can figure out how to eliminate it someday.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 20, 2005 3:06 pm

Cancer is a caused from mankinds manipulation of the enviroment. All the water treatment, air condition, processed foods, hygen products...etc put unnatural things into are body. If you happen to work in an industrial enviroment or live near one then consider yourself worse off. Car exhaust is another. This stuff all adds up.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Fri May 20, 2005 3:25 pm

BigMusky wrote:Cancer is a caused from mankinds manipulation of the enviroment. All the water treatment, air condition, processed foods, hygen products...etc put unnatural things into are body. If you happen to work in an industrial enviroment or live near one then consider yourself worse off. Car exhaust is another. This stuff all adds up.

Basically. Unfortunately, I only think it'll continue getting worse as our technology increasingly improves. The number of cancer cases and other health problems have only went up and not down as the years have gone by. Hygiene may be better than in the past, but chronic medical conditions has gone up. Unfortunately, this is the only way most of us know how to live (I'm guilty myself). It's not like most people will think whether or not the environment is getting screwed up when they use products that are glamorously being advertised all around. I guess it gets to whether you're lucky or not. I lived in New Jersey and New York City for most of my life, so I suppose the lack of a good environment in those areas could've played a part.

Shortsightedness is a major problem. There's no way that the Earth and the people on it are going to last really long at this pace.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk