Alomar/Young/Young - who is better - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alomar/Young/Young - who is better

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alomar/Young/Young - who is better

Postby jmintert » Mon May 26, 2003 1:36 am

I'm currently starting Alomar in a 10 team head-to-head league. Both Michael and Eric Young are available. Would I be better off to grab a Young, or stick with Alomar. Our point system is

1b 1
2b 2
3b 3
hr 6
r 1
rbi 1
sb 1
cs -1
k -1
bb 1

I don't like that Michael Young bats at the bottom of the lineup, however, the Rangers typically score alot so he is getting the number of ABs as someone in the middle of the lineup it seems. His average is high, but I worry it will come back to norm, and that he might loose playing time to Blalock, Perry, Teixeira (sp?).

Eric Young actually looks respectable. Doesn't strikeout very often, but I'm not to hot on the Brewers.

Alomar is okay, but not great - had good week in Colorado, but who doesn't.

Any thoughts?
jmintert
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon May 26, 2003 1:52 am

Alomar is not going to come anywhere close to reattaining stud status again, that much is clear. That said, he should be able to hit around .280 with 15 homers, 70 RBI. With Piazza out, he has been moved from the leadoff to the #3 spot in the lineup, which should mean more production. Alomar should get around 15-20 steals.

Eric Young and Michael Young should both wind up with the same batting averages as Alomar, in the .270-.280 range. Eric has the advantage that he will steal more bases, and could steal 30-40 bases, if that's what you need. However, he has almost no power and will have very low RBI and homer totals. Michael will steal fewer bases than Alomar, but should put up similar power numbers. Since he is otherwise the same as Alomar, but with fewer likely steals, going for Micheal Young makes little or no sense.

If you need more stolen bases (probably around 15 extra SB over Alomar), you might want to consider replacing Alomar with E.Young. If you would need to maintain your power categories, I'd stick with Alomar, especially with him now batting in the heart of the lineup.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jmintert » Mon May 26, 2003 1:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply jdh. I've got to set my lineup Monday morning. I think I'll stick with Alomar for now. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll get traded to the Cardinals sometime, although that rumor is probably less likely to become reality since Vina is now injured.
jmintert
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers