What poker site do you guys play? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What poker site do you guys play?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What poker site do you guys play?

Postby Phatferd » Fri May 20, 2005 2:44 am

I play Pokerroom.com and like it and was just wondering what other ones people use?

I have friends who use PartyPoker.com and like it, but PokerRoom only requires a 10 dollar deposit. Since I am on a college budget that worked. I've turned that 10 bucks into a couple hundred over a few months, which I am cool with. I don't play to make my living I just like a little extra spending cash.

Just thought it would be interesting to hear what others say and to maybe even talk some poker stories.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 am

Here's a review of a few of them that I posted in a different thread:

Madison wrote:Ok, I play online every day for real money and have turned profit at every single site I've played at, so here's my breakdown:

Pokerstars

Pros---The software is unmatched, constant tourneys going, quick and easy cashouts. Solid opponents help teach you how to be a better player.

Cons---The toughest opponents on the net. Freerolls are not worth playing. Rewards system is pretty worthless too (FFP's don't rack up nearly fast enough to really make them worth anything).

Overall---My favorite place to play. Software is great and I can always find a full game. I also prefer to play with players instead of newbies.

Partypoker

Pros----Lots and lots of newbies with no clue. Makes for very big pots. Software is a touch slow for tourney and sit and go play, but serviceable on the overall. Monthly reload bonuses that are easy to clear the requirements for. Cashouts are relatively quick.

Cons----Huge swings in bankroll due to the idiot factor. When you've got 5 chasers every hand when none of them should have even been involved in the hand, one of them is bound to get lucky. The rake is high (50 cents on a $5 pot).

Overall---I still play there, but not much due to the crazies there. I'm a grinder and prefer to get up ahead from every table I sit down at. At Party, the swings are just too big for my liking.

Pacific Poker

Pros----A good mix of fish and players. Games are very profitable. Just recently introduced no limit, so very soft no limit games since a lot of their players don't realize how big the difference in Limit and No Limit are. Good profits there.

Cons----Software stinks. Disconnects are frequent. Rake is high (50 cents on a $5 pot). Recently they started raking uncalled bets too. For example, the pot is $4. You bet $1. Everyone else folds. Most sites give you your $1 bet back since it was uncalled, plus the $4 pot ($4 pots do not get raked). Pacific has started raking that bet. $4 pot + $1 uncalled bet = $5 pot, so they rake 50 cents. Bonus structure is terrible. Every $10 you wager into raked hands nets you a penny. Bonus money is tough to clear as well. Cashouts take forever too. About 4 days using Neteller.

Overall----I used to play there daily and made some very good money. Once the new higher rakes and the uncalled bet rakes came into play, I basically stopped playing there. Between the site taking too much of the money and the terrible software, it just wasn't worth it.

The Gaming Club

Pros-----Good software. Good mix of fish and players. Tougher than Party and Pacific, but not as tough as Stars. Bonus structure is good and not too tough to clear. Solid play nets solid profits there.

Cons----Mostly solid players, so not a site where you'll get rich quick. Cashouts take a bit of time, but not as bad as Pacific. They also have "random security checks" on cashouts. They are random though, as I have made multiple cashouts with them and not been hit by a "random security check". From what I hear, they are a pain. They require you to fax a copy of your driver's license and a utility bill in order to verify who you are and that you're of age to be playing. Granted, every site has that stuff in the fine print that they can do that at any time, but TGC tends to use it the most.

Overall----I enjoy playing there and continue to do so. Not my favorite site, but still a nice place to play.

PokerNow

See Partypoker. It's a skin, meaning that you play at the same tables at Partypoker players and all on the same network.

Empire Poker

See Partypoker. Another skin.

Aztec Riches

See The Gaming Club. Skin.

Hope that helps some, I still don't have accounts with Ultimate Bet or Absolute yet, so I can't really comment on either, but I've heard nothing that really makes me want to jump in there and give them a try just yet. We'll see though. :-)

Enjoy! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby so0perspam » Fri May 20, 2005 3:28 am

Poker Stars is seriously by far the best place to play. I'm loving it. :-) ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Fri May 20, 2005 4:06 am

Seriously look into Pokerroom. Its got its share of newbies, however, its not nearly as bad as PartyPoker. Everyone I know who plays this site makes money. I only play $5 dollar shorthanded sit n goes and I made $60 in the past 2 weeks. I also play about 5 games a week, so this isn't bad.

I like how they divide their chips. I only compare these to PartyPoker and Royal Vegas Poker (the only other two I've played). You start out with $1500 in chips not $1000. I like this cause it allows for a little bit more loose playing before the blinds get too high. I usually play a little loose until I get to $1000 in chips and try to get some easy chips to build a stack. It works most of the time.

It took maybe 2 weeks to get my check (I only get checks mailed normal delivery, I'm too lazy to use Neteller) for the first time then after that I get it within a week.

Another cool thing about this site is you can play the games off Java Applets that don't require the downloading of software. I am at buddies house's all the time and just go to their site and play without downloading the program.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri May 20, 2005 8:23 am

I've started playing at RoyalVegasPoker.com. Not a bad site plus they give you $10 when you sign up. Just no withdrawls until you make a deposit.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Madison » Fri May 20, 2005 10:28 am

Pokerstars starts you with $1500 in chips for sit and go and tournament play too. ;-)

Not sure I'll try Pokerroom, but anything's possible. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RyanK » Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm

Do any of these sites support macs?
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The Punisher » Fri May 20, 2005 5:25 pm

Pokerroom is ok since you dont have to download it I think. Jetsetpoker.com and Pacificpoker.com are the only ones I play at really and I like them both. I really dont like pokerstars actually, seems to crowded and the tournaments are at so many random times
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby so0perspam » Fri May 20, 2005 5:45 pm

The Punisher wrote:I really dont like pokerstars actually, seems to crowded and the tournaments are at so many random times

Why is having a lot of tournaments a bad thing? :-? You make no sense at all .... wouldn't you be looking for a site that has a tourney or two every couple hours that you could jump into? You don't want to log in and be like "Crap, the tourney I wanted to get into just started 2 minutes ago, guess I'll wait another 8 hours for one". :-° And there's certainly over 30,000 people logged on at times, but there is also about 5,000+ tables to accommodate that large crowd, which amounts to 6/8 seats taken per table ;-) .
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Punisher » Fri May 20, 2005 5:51 pm

so0perspam wrote:
The Punisher wrote:I really dont like pokerstars actually, seems to crowded and the tournaments are at so many random times

Why is having a lot of tournaments a bad thing? :-? You make no sense at all .... wouldn't you be looking for a site that has a tourney or two every couple hours that you could jump into? You don't want to log in and be like "Crap, the tourney I wanted to get into just started 2 minutes ago, guess I'll wait another 8 hours for one". :-° And there's certainly over 30,000 people logged on at times, but there is also about 5,000+ tables to accommodate that large crowd, which amounts to 6/8 seats taken per table ;-) .

I know said having a lot of tourneys is a bad thing. I said I don't like the tourneys being at all different random times everyday because these tourneys arent at scheduled times so I have no clue when they are, I like the tourneys having set times everyday so I know when to get on an everything to sign up for them. As for being crowded, that makes it harder to sign up for like the 500 people tournament if you have a slow computer like me since those fill up really fast. And it forces you to get stuck in the boring pot limit games with only like 5 people at a table.
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk