Will Brandon Lyon keep his job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Brandon Lyon keep his job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Brandon Lyon keep his job?

Postby abzolut800 » Mon May 26, 2003 1:18 am

And is he even THE closer in Boston? I might get him and durazo for scott williamson, so I need to know if I am wasting space for this guy
abzolut800
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Mon May 26, 2003 1:24 am

He is their primary closer for now, but has close to no job security. I don't think that Boston is going to go with his for the rest of the year, because they will soon realize that you need to have a legitimate closer to be a legitimate playoff contender. The only time bullpen by committee worked was in Cincy a few years back, when they had multiple legit closers (Dibble, Charlton, etc). The guys that Boston has in their bullpen right now are other teams' garbage castoffs who have proven incapable of getting it done for other teams. How can the BoSox really think they are being so ingenious by saving a bit of money on a closer? It will implode soon and they will realize how dumb they have been.

I would expect them to pull a trade to get either Armando Benitez or Byun Hyun Kim as their closer, for Hillenbrand likely.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Mon May 26, 2003 1:25 am

No one knows how long he will have the job. I don't think Person is much of a threat to him in the immediate future, so he should remain the closer for now. The Red Sox have apparently been inquiring about closers elsewhere, so his long-term status is pretty shaky.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Mon May 26, 2003 7:16 am

Actually I think they're pretty happy with Lyon as their man. He hasn't blown his oppourtunities and he gets the job done.

(And in Yahoo he's SP and RP elgible). :-b
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon May 26, 2003 2:26 pm

Lyon IS the closer. He has not blown a save yet. Until he blows a few, there is no problems with him and he will not be replaced.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Mon May 26, 2003 2:29 pm

He doesn't have the stuff or the repetoire to succeed as a closer. His meltdown and failure is inevitable, at which time the Red Sox will realize they need to ante up and bring in a real closer. Not resigning Urbina could be the mistake that will cost them a post season berth yet again.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 26, 2003 3:18 pm

A lot of closers out there don't have "closer's stuff."

Eddy Guardado is the first to come to mind. Jose Mesa doesn't have it anymore and Lance Carter never even had it in the first place, yet they are all closers.

I think as long as Lyon gets the job done, he remains the closer. His low 90's sinking fastball is pretty nice. So it is possible he succeeds.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Guest » Mon May 26, 2003 7:25 pm

I see F German has got 2 saves the last few days. If you needed saves and both he and Lyon were available who would you pick? And are either worth dropping for T Lilly? I'm in 14 team 5x5 h2h league and my 7 pitchers are C Schilling, K Brown, R Halladay, C Zambrano, T Lilly, J Mesa and U Urbina. I'm getting plenty of saves right now but just recently got Halladay so feel pretty good about my starters.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Mon May 26, 2003 7:29 pm

Pick Lyon over German. Neither has much job security, but obviously there will be far more save opportunities with Boston than with Detroit.

If you want another closer in replace of a starter, I'd go ahead and drop Lilly for Lyon.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers