Stats Exportable to Excel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stats Exportable to Excel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu May 19, 2005 6:21 pm

That's a sweet idea Amazinz...thanks for all the tips here to everyone!

I finished my spreadsheet which I'm going to use more as a 'sleeper guide' than as a drafting list and saw some names that I don't personally get excited about that jumped high on the list. I was really surprised that even with the Yankees offense weighted equally to the other 3 categories (actually I counted K's double the weight for my H2H draft) Randy Johnson was still only #9 with his numbers this year (ranked him at a 5.00 with 1.77 of that coming from his team's offense). Conversely, Clemens is still the #3 pitcher (based on this year's performance only he gets a 7.89) despite that fact that he LOSES 0.75 from his score for the pitiful Lastros offense.

The other funny part is that the top rated pitcher off of the RSox/Yankees other than The Unit ended up being Arroyo. And I was counting K's TWICE (which subtracted 1.46 from his score to give him a 2.34 - the 16th ranked pitcher using this method).

For anyone interested I blended this years scoring projected over an entire season with last year's scoring (giving double weight to this season). I then found the difference between that number and the average of that number among all of the teams. I then divided the result by 100 to give it about the same results you'd expect in deviation from the norm in ERA (numbers ran from -1.46 to 1.77 from the average). I then figured out the average k/ip, whip and era for my leagues I'm in right now and did the same type of adjustments to give them about the same weight (ie k/ip varied about +/- 0.2 so I multiplied by 5...whip by 0.14 so I multiplied by 7...era had about the same variance as my adjusted team scoring so I left it alone) and found the same type of differences between the average and each player's 'score' in each category. Finally I made it so I could change the multipliers for each section if I want to toy around with it (for example, when I doubled the value of K/IP).

By weighting the team's offense some guys start to stand out in the top 20 that can be pretty good picks that won't make you scramble for SP early in the draft. Obviously Brett Myers (#2 in the list) is a big question-mark on whether he can keep it up but if you can get him in 9 or 10 (or 11 where he went in one of my drafts) he's worth the risk. Jake Peavy (#4) is much less of a risk but still goes in several drafts in round 4. Erik Bedard (#7) has looked VERY good this year and may have finally gotten everything together to be a solid pitcher - and pitching for the O's is a HUGE benefit. Matt Morris (#11) has looked good this year and even if he reverts to his
lifetime averages he'll still win a ton of games for StL.

Names #14-20 in the list have some possible late rounders as well:
bonderman,jerem (averages round 9 in the drafts I looked at)
smoltz,john
arroyo,bronson (round 14)
carpenter,chris (round 11)
marquis,jason (round 16)
vazquez,javier (round 10)
chen,bruce (round 18 in one draft and not picked in another)

In closing, this is obviously a skewed way of looking at the numbers - especially since it only gives credit for THIS year's performance on the pitcher's part. But it definitely shows that there are some pitchers to be had from some very good OFFENSIVE teams that aren't going to do too much damage to you in other areas (in fact, they may help you some) that can be had for cheap later in the draft since their raw numbers aren't as good as some of the other players. Guys like Arroyo, Carpenter, Marquis and Chen especially are pickups that can free you to focus on your offense and still tread water in pitching. Especially if you get some stud pitchers early on that pitch for so-so or even bad offenses (like a Clemens) these are the guys you can turn to in order to even things out...give you a good shot at picking up some wins...but at the same time not hurt you in the other 3 pitching categories that they effect.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dballs » Fri May 27, 2005 3:43 pm

I have a spreadsheet that has all the data by game. Every game played so far in 2005. I charge a small fee of $15 for it, and I'll email it right to you if you want it. If you're interested my email is mailto:dsal3034@aol.com
dballs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 27, 2005 3:56 pm

dballs wrote:I have a spreadsheet that has all the data by game. Every game played so far in 2005. I charge a small fee of $15 for it, and I'll email it right to you if you want it. If you're interested my email is mailto:dsal3034@aol.com

Um thats like a 12 pack of micro's
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dballs » Fri May 27, 2005 4:43 pm

What's a micro, and how does a 12 pack of them relate to an excel spreadsheet?
dballs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 27, 2005 4:52 pm

microbreweries :-B

As in a 12-pack of expensive beer lol.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dballs » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:54 pm

Good point. I'm now just giving the data away. If anyone wants a current copy just send me an email at mailto:dsal3034@aol.com.
dballs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers