League members are getting upset... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

League members are getting upset...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League members are getting upset...

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu May 19, 2005 12:00 pm

I'm the commish of a 10-team H2H league, and I've made the following trades throughout the year, and the league is claiming that I'm cheating by ripping other players off. This is a money league. Here are the trades I've made:

---------------------------------------

**Give: Scott Rolen; Get: Mark Prior
Give: Mark Buerhle; Get: Corey Patterson
Give: Pedro Martinez; Get: Ichiro
Give: Aubrey Huff and Paul Konerko; Get: Brandon Webb and Eric Chavez
**Give: Adam Dunn, David Wright, Mark Prior; Get: Vladimir Guerrero and Tim Hudson
**Give: Corey Patterson and Brandon Webb; Get: Aubrey Huff

**these were all with the same player, but this kid trades a LOT, and everybody in the league has made at least a couple of trades with him.

--------------------------------------

I'll give you this, I got a great deal with the Vlad trade, but that's about it. They're mad about the Huff deal that I made last night, but Corey Patterson is (by all accounts and measures) outperforming Huff right now, and Webb is pitching very well, it just happened that Patterson was an expendable part of my offense and I traded him to a team that needs steals.

None of these are THAT bad, are they? I'm guessing they're just upset they didn't trade for those players first. It seems like whenever I make a trade where I'm not clearly getting taken (as in the Huff/Konerko trade), I get accused of ripping the other players in the league off and then approving the trade.

I've built up a very strong offense, and I think that's what they're complaining about, but that hitting has come at the dire expense of my pitching. I'm playing the game with a different strategy than they are, and they think it's unfair.

I don't veto many trades, and I see no reason to veto any of those trades. Am I out of my mind here?
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu May 19, 2005 12:09 pm

I would imagine they are upset because you are doing this with just one other owner. He appears to be there whenever you have a need and you're trading several of the same players back and forth. It does look bad just on that. Most of the trades are equal, but it does have the appearance of looking like collusion since it is the same owner every time and the same players are moving.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Thu May 19, 2005 12:15 pm

i get frustrated when one manager continues to make good trades, mainly because I wished I had offered the other guy something first. That isn't cheating, it's good managing.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Game JLo » Thu May 19, 2005 12:31 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:I would imagine they are upset because you are doing this with just one other owner.

Smells fishy to me also. I would definitely question it.
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Thu May 19, 2005 12:38 pm

Cooner wrote:i get frustrated when one manager continues to make good trades, mainly because I wished I had offered the other guy something first. That isn't cheating, it's good managing.

Definitely ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu May 19, 2005 12:56 pm

Big Game JLo wrote:
SouthBronxBombers wrote:I would imagine they are upset because you are doing this with just one other owner.

Smells fishy to me also. I would definitely question it.

Well, I think if I show you some of the trades that manager has made, it would make it a little more clear. Here are his transactions:

Gave: Teixeira and Rowand
Got: Blalock and Nathan

Gave: Benitez
Got: Bagwell and Lilly

Gave: Bonds, Nathan and Clement
Got: Miguel Cabrera and Buerhle

Gave: Rolen and Jeter
Got: Hudson, Barmes and Pierre

Gave: Miguel Cabrera
Got: Bonds and Nathan

Gave: Clement
Got: Buerhle

Gave: Buerhle
Got: Clement

Gave: Edmonds and Clement
Got: Preston Wilson and Josh Beckett

Gave:Washburn
Got: Castilla

Gave: Pierre and Beckett
Got: Cabrera and Isringhausen

Gave: Isringhausen
Got: Sweeney

Gave: Cabrera and Blalock
Got: A-Rod and Burrell

Gave: A-Rod and Berkman
Got: Huff and Guerrero

Gave: Sweeney, Bonds, Baez and Radke
Got: Teixeira, Encarnacion, Hoffman and Chacin

Gave: Wright, Burrell and Schmidt
Got: Edmonds and Blalock

-----------------------------------------------

He did all of these trades with 4 other teams, on top of my trades. It's obvious he likes to trade, and why can't I take advantage of that? Believe me, they know we're not colluding. We're all close friends and we live together, so there's none of that going on. They're just saying that I'm intentionally decieving him and ripping him off.

I'm not the only manager that has made multiple big name trades with him. He's done it at least once with most of the other guys in the league.

Am I out of line here?
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biller24 » Thu May 19, 2005 1:02 pm

It looks to me that you and the four other owners have a minor league affiliate!! Someone's having a bad week.......send him down and call up someone else!
biller24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dmville » Thu May 19, 2005 1:06 pm

I've made 6 trades in one of my leagues this year, 4 w the same owner. Don't know him at all, no collusion involved. It's just that we both realize you have to give something to get something and our roster needs have been met in every trade. He simply gives the most reasonable offers.

Everyone else in the league always wants to offer 3 crap guys thinking they equal 1 top player. Or they'll give up a good player, but only if you take a horrible player w him.

Also, the OP is stating I think that only those 3 trades with the ** were with the same owner, not all 6.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mwb743s » Thu May 19, 2005 1:09 pm

Looks like good managing to me. Better than most leagues that dont trade at all.
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby RugbyD » Thu May 19, 2005 1:19 pm

you're league is full of idiots and crybabies
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers