Brett Myers breakout season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Myers breakout season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brett Myers breakout season

Postby wavetide007 » Thu May 19, 2005 2:01 am

This guy took all of Oliver Perez's mojo and is having Oliver Perez's 2004 season while Oliver is having Brett's 2004 season.

Definitely the Ben Sheets/ Oliver Perez pitcher this year.
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Thu May 19, 2005 2:11 am

In the words of Lee Corso... Not so fast my friend.

Although the Sabremetrics of his increased K rate make him look very tempting to be that guy this year, I don't think there are any guarantees.

The scary thing is that he hasn't improved his BB/9. His K/9 and K/BB are better b/c of the increased K's, but when Sheets broke out last year he walked just 32 in 237 innnings. If Myers throws 237 innings at his current clip, he'll walk over 60.

Not saying it won't happen... just saying it's a little premature to declare it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jjigglers » Thu May 19, 2005 2:31 am

and will strike out 265 if he keeps the same K/BB.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Thu May 19, 2005 2:53 am

WittyC wrote:In the words of Lee Corso... Not so fast my friend.

Although the Sabremetrics of his increased K rate make him look very tempting to be that guy this year, I don't think there are any guarantees.

The scary thing is that he hasn't improved his BB/9. His K/9 and K/BB are better b/c of the increased K's, but when Sheets broke out last year he walked just 32 in 237 innnings. If Myers throws 237 innings at his current clip, he'll walk over 60.

Sheets has amazing control. We can list on one hand the pitchers would walk that few per nine.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Thu May 19, 2005 2:59 am

WittyC wrote:In the words of Lee Corso... Not so fast my friend.

Not saying it won't happen... just saying it's a little premature to declare it.

If he walks around 60 guys this year that wouldn't be shabbt at all. That is 2 guys a game, which isn't bad. If he continues to K the amount he is, then those walks become even more tolerable.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Thu May 19, 2005 11:03 am

That comment about walks is pretty ridiculous, especially if you consider the type of pitcher he is compared to others of similar style. Frankly, he has been an absolute stud and after watching him pitch a couple times he looks incredibly confident and very dominant on the mound. Today will be a big test for him at home against the Cards. That team can rake and if he pitches well today I'm going to be on him like a hemmorhoid.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu May 19, 2005 11:07 am

$20 says Brett Myers will give up at least 6 runs today. He is going to get BLOWN UP by the Cards!!!
Last edited by Slow Pitch on Thu May 19, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Thu May 19, 2005 11:20 am

I have a feeling he is going to be impressive and this will be a defining start for him. 6 runs? 8-o :-t
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Thrill » Thu May 19, 2005 11:24 am

6 runs or not, Myers is starting to show why scouts were comparing him to Mark Prior two years ago. I suspect he's going to keep up the good pitching for years to come.

;-D
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nuggets » Thu May 19, 2005 11:29 am

Slow Pitch wrote:$20 says Brett Myers will give up at least 6 runs tonight. He is going to get BLOWN UP by the Cards!!!

I'll take that bet
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers