Anyone optimistic about J. Reed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone optimistic about J. Reed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone optimistic about J. Reed?

Postby Parboiler » Thu May 19, 2005 1:54 am

He has been killing my team all season. I wanted to hear if any of you could talk me out of dropping him. I know he is young and it usually takes a while to get used to MLB pitching, but I wish he would at least steal me some bases. Any info or opinions would be appreciated
Parboiler
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone optimistic about J. Reed?

Postby wavetide007 » Thu May 19, 2005 1:59 am

Parboiler wrote:He has been killing my team all season. I wanted to hear if any of you could talk me out of dropping him. I know he is young and it usually takes a while to get used to MLB pitching, but I wish he would at least steal me some bases. Any info or opinions would be appreciated

He's on the Mariners

surely there are better options, how deep is your league
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Thu May 19, 2005 2:01 am

Dropped him yesterday for Dave Roberts. Was sick of waiting for Reed to steal bases, while the reason I was waiting for him was sitting on the waiver wire.

Now, in every one of my leagues, he is on the free agency. Not even in dynasty leagues does anyone have any faith.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby d18Mike » Thu May 19, 2005 7:57 am

Major disapoointment across the board. The guys at MLB.com Fantasy 411 hyped Reed like crazy at the beginning of the year. They too have now thrown in the towel on him.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cooner » Thu May 19, 2005 10:12 am

I was high on Reed to start the season as well. Dropped him in all my leagues a couple weeks ago. Hasn't been picked up yet, so I'm still keeping an eye on him, but I'm not exactly that worried someone will grab him....
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bselig » Thu May 19, 2005 10:43 am

Reed should be a free agent in every non-keeper league. He is a prototypical number two hitter. Number two hitters typically are not very good at fantasy baseball. To be good they need to maintain a high average, score a lot of runs, and, usually, play an infield position. Reed does none of these things. If he can start hitting .320 and get on base a lot he could be useful as a fantasy player, but not great because he plays the outfield. Reed is a disappointment this season, yes - but not much of one. Expectations for him were far too high in the first place.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FlawedReasoning » Thu May 19, 2005 11:16 am

Dropped him a couple weeks ago after stressing for too long that the other managers in my league would jump at the chance to get him... After he cleared waivers, though, you could hear the tumbleweeds gently rolling along the free agent market. And he's still a FA; probably because his fantasy numbers are terrible.

There's too much better talent out there to be holding onto him and waiting for what will never come this year.
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Thrill » Thu May 19, 2005 11:54 am

Preseason, The Sporting News was optimistic, but was also stating to be cautious. The scouting notes I've read suggest he's for real, but it'll take more time/experience.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby nuggets » Thu May 19, 2005 12:00 pm

Even MVP 2005 gave him nice stats :-D
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu May 19, 2005 1:29 pm

reed can definitely turn things around. he's actually on base pretty well. he needs to just hit with more power. he needs to steal bases as well. first sign of him stealing bases or hitting doubles I'd go for him.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers