Pity me. 2 weeks ago I traded away Bobby Abreu... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pity me. 2 weeks ago I traded away Bobby Abreu...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pity me. 2 weeks ago I traded away Bobby Abreu...

Postby davus » Wed May 18, 2005 11:47 pm

I needed help at pitching and my offense is/was stacked with

Arod
Vlad
Kent
Crawford
Rollins

Thought I could give up a guy who had a career year (albeit still quite valuable) and get some improvement on my pitching...

So I traded Abreu/Burrell/Baez for Peavy/Overbay/Foulke.

I had thought that it was a pretty fair deal in which I ended up a little better.

2 weeks, 9 homeruns and a .550 or so batting average later, I'm a little saddened... :-[ :-o
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tms298 » Wed May 18, 2005 11:53 pm

Arod
Vlad
Crawford
Abreu
Four picks in the top 15?
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed May 18, 2005 11:56 pm

I don't pity you, I laugh.

Why would you ever trade abreu for a pitcher? Even if Peavy's the man, he can't get you saves. He's a four category player, where Bobby fills up the stat lines in all 5 cats.

I thought my top four players were good (Vlad, Abreu, Crawford, Ortiz) but your top four hitters were even better! You can never have too much hitting!
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed May 18, 2005 11:58 pm

You would not get me to trade any of those 4...ever (assuming they are healthy). Abreau has been a stud for years...why would you trade him for pitching?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davus » Thu May 19, 2005 12:04 am

I traded him for pitching because that was the only "weak" spot on my team I thought. This is a keeper league and Abreu is getting a little up there in age and except for last year he has never been worth a 1st round pick. My offense is good enough to be at the top of the standings in EVERY category without him, but my pitching isn't. Don't you guys like to win your leagues? Or do you prefer to kill everyone in hitting and then suck in pitching and end up in 4th place? :-?

With his good but not outstanding start I was just betting that he couldn't possibly match last year's career year.

Did you notice I got Foulke an Overbay too? Incidentally this league counts doubles too so Overbay can be a really great guy to have.

Anyway...geeze, thanks for the support. Like anyone could have predicted that he'd have pretty much the best 2 weeks anyone's ever had...
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Thu May 19, 2005 12:22 am

I think he has at least 3-5 more of these kind of years left in him.

I would also say Abreu has been worth a first round pick before. Depending on the league, but hes had some really solid years.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:25 am

You get just enough pitching to win...hitting wins fantasy titles as a general rule.

Never trade top hitting for pitching. And while you can break that rule to win a title in August, doing so in April when SP surprises are easily found is folly. How many first round pitchers are there...1 (Santana). How many top 8 round pitching stiffs have we seen this year:

Schilling
Ol. Perez
Foulke
Gagne
Sheets
RJ (to a lesser degree)
Schmidt
Benitez

...and I am sure there are others.

Heck, I have added the likes of Garland, Thomson, Arroyo, Loaiza, Turnbow, Lyons off the wire or late in drafts in a lot of leagues. You can't find top hitting like that to that degree. It just does not happen nearly as often.

And Abreau has been a top 4 round hitter for a number of years and like Jeff Kent, consistency is something you should pay a premium for.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stumpak » Thu May 19, 2005 9:57 am

Yeah, trading Abreu was unwise. He is Mr. Consistent, one of the surest things in fantasy baseball. I don't think an owner has ever been disappointed with Abreu at the end of the season.

By the way, I got him in my keeper auction last year when he as batting like .120 at the end of April for Kolb and Milton Bradley. Now that was a horrible trade. Just goes to show the dsesperate lengths that people will do when they have zero closers.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 19, 2005 10:47 am

Pity for you!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bselig » Thu May 19, 2005 10:52 am

Getting up there in age? Yea, I guess, if you mean that instead of ten good years ahead of him he may only have four or five. It may be a keeper league but I don't think anyone should be thinking that far down the road...
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers