How secure is Dotel's job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How secure is Dotel's job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu May 19, 2005 2:23 am

Turnbow's available because I'm in a 10-team league and we're limited to 2 closers each so, at this point, no one has picked up Turnbow--probably because he hasn't shown any ability to close before now and we were wary of the Brewers' closer situation. I can't pick him up unless Dotel goes to the DL.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby victordestructo » Thu May 19, 2005 3:04 am

As injured as the A's bullpen is right now, even though Street is the closer by default....He has Ricardo Rincon and Juan Cruz setting up for him. Yikes.
"I feel like I am pregnant with all these ideas. I am just trying to give birth to them."
-Miguel Batista describing his writing career
victordestructo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Thu May 19, 2005 7:57 am

The last time Dotel was lights out was when he was the setup man in Houston. He has been shaky at best in Oakland and the whole world knows it. Sometimes you actually have to pull your head out of your computer and watch a game or a highlight or 2.

Besides, Billy Beane has a history of trading overrated/overpaid closers and going with the up and comer.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

where would Dotel go?

Postby gws226 » Thu May 19, 2005 11:31 am

Injuries aside, Where would dotel go come the trade deadline?

Which contender needs a closer? Or would be an insurance policy as a setup man for a playoff run?

I think I have an opportunity to deal him today, with a 2 week DL stint a probably, I would logically pick up street.... but if he's gone til June, then traded in July in what might be a setup role (and street will have the closer job anyways) it might be logical for me to use Street for holds for those 4 or 5 weeks and grab value for Dotel now.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu May 19, 2005 11:52 am

Let's see the logic here. He sucks so bad that the people on this board would not let him close games but a major league team will trade for him so he can close for them. Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

The only people that are bitching about this are people that own Street. Nobody expects a closer to not have bad games sometimes. Every player in the game, no matter which position they play does. Putting Street in as closer weakens their team at the moment, it does not strengthen it. Not that they can get much weaker anyway.

Dotel is not going anywhere any time soon. Maybe at the break, when a contending team might want to shore up their bullpen, but there is no contending team right now that needs a closer. The Cubs are not a threat to win the pennant, and the Braves will not add salary. There is no pressing need for Dotel around the majors.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Thu May 19, 2005 12:04 pm

bobby wrote:2002: 1.85 ERA, 0.87 WHIP
2003: 2.48 ERA, 0.97 WHIP
2004: 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
2005: 3.52 ERA, 1.37 WHIP

I see a trend. :-?

You're looking at the wrong numbers. I see a fundamental mechanics problem that he'll clear up and go back to being solid:

2001: 12.4 K/9, 3.1 K/BB, 2.66 ERA, 1.20 WHIP
2002: 10.9 K/9, 4.4 K/BB, 1.85 ERA, 0.87 WHIP
2003: 10.0 K/9, 3.1 K/BB, 2.48 ERA, 0.97 WHIP
2004: 12.9 K/9, 3.3 K/BB, 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
2005: 9.4 K/9, 1.5 K/BB, 3.52 ERA, 1.37 WHIP
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gws226 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:52 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Let's see the logic here. He sucks so bad that the people on this board would not let him close games but a major league team will trade for him so he can close for them. Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

The only people that are bitching about this are people that own Street. Nobody expects a closer to not have bad games sometimes. Every player in the game, no matter which position they play does. Putting Street in as closer weakens their team at the moment, it does not strengthen it. Not that they can get much weaker anyway.

Dotel is not going anywhere any time soon. Maybe at the break, when a contending team might want to shore up their bullpen, but there is no contending team right now that needs a closer. The Cubs are not a threat to win the pennant, and the Braves will not add salary. There is no pressing need for Dotel around the majors.

Well thanks for answering my question.. But I disagree with your relation from the game and the fantasy game. A baseball teams concern is to the win the game. It doesn't really matter to them if their closes strikes out the side to win the game or gives up a few runs..... as long as he gets the save. Would a manager want to have gagne on his roster? Absolutely, but if he a closer who gets the job done even if his ERA & WHIP are higher its not as important.

In fantasy your trying to win statisical catergories.... a closer may get you the save and help you win one statisical catergory, but if he doing it at the expense of 2 other catergories week in and week out then I will surely give a second consideration to playing him while he slumps. If I've lost or locked up a saves catergory for the week, I've benched less then reliable closers rather then take a chance on a point that is meaningless at the expense of ERA & WHIP.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OREO fan » Thu May 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Octavio Dotel flew to Los Angeles to have his troublesome elbow examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum, the Angels' team physician. Manager Ken Macha didn't expect to announce any results until Friday.
(Updated 05/19/2005)

this has to be considered TERRIBLE news - after hearing the names Yocum or Dr James Andrews - i always feel like the next day the pitcher will inevitably get shut down for the rest of the season with some type of gruesome sounding surgery
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers