How secure is Dotel's job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How secure is Dotel's job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How secure is Dotel's job?

Postby thrash » Wed May 18, 2005 11:17 pm

With a possible DL stint it looks like Street will get a chance in the closer role. I really could see him flouishing. If Dotel does go on the DL you gotta think that he'll keep the job though just so Beane can trade him and keep Street's stock down so they dont have to pay him big bucks when he becomes a free agent. How likely is it Dotel actually does lose his job, and if not, is there a good chance he gets traded mid-season?

Oh, and one more question, maybe the most important one, will he be effective?

I'm relying on him as my #2 RP behind B.J. Ryan and am very worried. I really cant believe I trade Hoffman for Dotel just before the season started :-o

Is there any rays of hope for Dotel owners?
GO SOX
thrash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed May 18, 2005 11:19 pm

Okay, lets say you just started a job and after the first week you haven't shown up for work for 5 days in a row without calling in and whatnot. Your job is just secure as Dotels. :-o
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed May 18, 2005 11:59 pm

I'm in the same boat as thrash, I have Dotel and Ryan. Actually, I drafted Dotel first and got Ryan late and thought Dotel would be my #1 closer.

How much do Cafe members like Huston Street if Dotel goes to the DL? His numbers look good: 22.3 inn, 15 h, 27 k, 12 bb (2.3 k/bb), 2.01 era, 1.21 whip. 12 walks in 22.3 innings is too high, though.

Would anyone take him over a closer like Bob Wickman, Braden Looper, Miguel Batista, or Derrick Turnbow (pretty much the dregs in the closer pool)?
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TonyCee » Thu May 19, 2005 12:42 am

kingctb27 wrote:Okay, lets say you just started a job and after the first week you haven't shown up for work for 5 days in a row without calling in and whatnot. Your job is just secure as Dotels. :-o

Dude are you nutz?? He's been lights out as pitcher the past 4 years, check the numbers. Run go check them now
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bobby » Thu May 19, 2005 12:48 am

Whoa, who's been light's out? BLOWtel? 8-o
bobby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reznorsboy » Thu May 19, 2005 12:50 am

I think Street is gonna dteal his job
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Game JLo » Thu May 19, 2005 1:24 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Would anyone take him over a closer like Bob Wickman, Braden Looper, Miguel Batista, or Derrick Turnbow (pretty much the dregs in the closer pool)?

Turnbow is in your free agent pool? 8-o YIKES!
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu May 19, 2005 1:39 am

<huff, huff, huff>

I ran to check the numbers on Dotel over the last 4 years (and boy am I tired):

2001: 105 IP, 12.4 K/9, 3.1 K/BB, 2.66 ERA, 1.20 WHIP
2002: 97.1 IP, 10.9 K/9, 4.4 K/BB, 1.85 ERA, 0.87 WHIP
2003: 87 IP, 10.0 K/9, 3.1 K/BB, 2.48 ERA, 0.97 WHIP
2004: 85.1 IP, 12.9 K/9, 3.3 K/BB, 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
2005: 15.1 IP, 9.4 K/9, 1.5 K/BB, 3.52 ERA, 1.37 WHIP

I'd agree that he was "lights out" from '01 to '03, when he was the setup guy for Billy Wagner in Houston.

Last year, he wasn't that bad statistically, but everyone remembers the 9 blown saves (out of 45 chances). And it seems like when Dotel blows one, he blows it in an ugly, and often memorable, fashion.

This year, he was good in April (10 IP, 10.8 K/9, 2.0 K/BB, 1.80 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, with 5 saves). In his first blown save, he came into the game with the bases loaded and one-out in the 8th, with a 1-run lead. He got out of that inning without letting a run score (no easy feat), then gave up a run in the top of the 9th to blow the save.

His second blown save came against the Yankees on May 6. He came into the game with a 3-2 lead, 1 out, runners on first-and-second. A double steal put runners on second-and-third. Matsui was intentionally walked. Posada grounded out for a fielder's choice but the run scored, tying the game and giving Dotel his second blown save. He didn't allow a run but let one of the two runners who were already on base score.

Then comes the infamous Boston series, where Dotel flat out blew it two nights in a row. Both times he came into the game in the 9th with a 1-run lead, allowed a walk and gave up a game-winning homer.

His control looks to be a problem this year, with 11 walks in 15.1 innings, which could be attributed to his elbow pain.

Because of the two game-winning shots he gave up in Boston, it looks like Dotel's had a terrible year, but he hasn't been as bad as you might think.

One problem is the A's haven't had many save opportunities because they aren't winning like they have in the past few years.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby baseball6791 » Thu May 19, 2005 1:43 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Would anyone take him over a closer like Bob Wickman, Braden Looper, Miguel Batista, or Derrick Turnbow (pretty much the dregs in the closer pool)?

wait! stop the presses! turnbow is "pretty much the dregs in the closer pool"????? what league do u play in?!?! grab turnbow NOW

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bobby » Thu May 19, 2005 1:53 am

2002: 1.85 ERA, 0.87 WHIP
2003: 2.48 ERA, 0.97 WHIP
2004: 3.69 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
2005: 3.52 ERA, 1.37 WHIP