HR's are like Wins in H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HR's are like Wins in H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HR's are like Wins in H2H

Postby The Punisher » Wed May 18, 2005 10:05 pm

Have ya ever noticed in h2h how Home Runs are just as totally unpredictable and random as Wins. I mean somedays you might destroy somebody in home runs the next week you might not even get a homer on your team. For example last week, I led the only 3-1 in homers on Sunday yet I lose because Ensberg cranks three almost doubling his season total. I mean the most random players will hit the homers on some days. I mean Podsednik might hit more homers in a certain week than Adam Dunn. Guess Im not really asking a question here or anything just pointing out this statement if anyone else has noticed this or thinks this.
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 18, 2005 10:14 pm

Wins are a lot less predicatable than homeruns. A hitter has direct control if he hits a HR or not, but a pitcher has no control if he gets the win or not(unless he pitches a perfect game).
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Punisher » Wed May 18, 2005 10:17 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Wins are a lot less predicatable than homeruns. A hitter has direct control if he hits a HR or not, but a pitcher has no control if he gets the win or not(unless he pitches a perfect game).

I dont mean in like real life they are just like Wins but I mean in like h2h fantasy. They come from random people at random times like youll see Ensberg hit 3 home runs for you on the last day of the week just like wins like youll get them from different guys that came out of nowhere. I know a player has control over a home run and players dont have as much control over wins but im referring to it in fantasy terms
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 4Pack » Wed May 18, 2005 10:29 pm

I know what you are saying. I have always contended that H2H leagues require you to have just as much luck as quality players on your team in order to be successful.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Wed May 18, 2005 10:33 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Wins are a lot less predicatable than homeruns. A hitter has direct control if he hits a HR or not, but a pitcher has no control if he gets the win or not(unless he pitches a perfect game).

In a H2H sense the exact opposite is true. A pitcher, unless a reliever, won't win more than 2 games a week for your team and judging by matchups you can make an accurate guess on whether or not your pitcher gets the win.

For homeruns, it's far more difficult. Hitters can hit 6 in a week, which will probably win the category for you, or hit none, which certainly doesn't help. Trying to predict when a hitter will hit a homerun is more difficult than predicting the winning pitcher in a ballgame.

For this reason I tend to overlook HR's in most H2H drafts and focus on other production categories.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:44 pm

This is the one of the reasons, why I prefer Roto leagues.
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 18, 2005 10:54 pm

plus HRs fill multiple categories (runs/rbi/HR).....they are gems....

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Wed May 18, 2005 10:59 pm

davidmarver wrote:

In a H2H sense the exact opposite is true. A pitcher, unless a reliever, won't win more than 2 games a week for your team and judging by matchups you can make an accurate guess on whether or not your pitcher gets the win.

For homeruns, it's far more difficult. Hitters can hit 6 in a week, which will probably win the category for you, or hit none, which certainly doesn't help. Trying to predict when a hitter will hit a homerun is more difficult than predicting the winning pitcher in a ballgame.

For this reason I tend to overlook HR's in most H2H drafts and focus on other production categories.

That's skewed logic... how is it easier to predict other batting categories than homeruns?

Sometimes you have a guy steal 8 bases in a week, and sometimes he steals none. Sometimes your guys can put up 15 RBI in a week, sometimes they get 3. Hell, sometimes Ichiro's going to hit .150 for a week!

Over the course of a loooooooooooooooooong season, these things tend to balance themselves out.

I am of the opinion that the additional strategy in H2H makes it superior to Roto leagues, but that's just my opinion. There is just as much skill involved, but sometimes it requires different skills.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu May 19, 2005 12:06 am

i hear you, 3 weeks ago i had 10 hr in a week, then 3, then 2, this week so far ive gotten 3 hr on monday 1 on tuesday and 3 today. very unpredictable
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu May 19, 2005 12:43 am

NY Yankees Fan 200x wrote:This is the one of the reasons, why I prefer Roto leagues.

Same here, basically everything is unpredictable week to week in H2H. Some people enjoy that aspect and thats fine. I don't much care for it myself.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers