General Advice for H2H Leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

General Advice for H2H Leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

General Advice for H2H Leagues?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed May 18, 2005 3:56 pm

This is my first year in FBB but I feel like I have a fairly decent understanding of Roto scoring and how to draft under that format. H2H on the other hand I'm not quite sure how to approach. I've seen varying advice from people on how to approach H2H differently (ie punting categories, looking for more well-rounded players rather than one/two category players, etc). I would just be interested to see any general advice that people have on how to approach H2H drafts and the assigning of player values. I've done 6 drafts so far in roto and have my first two H2H drafts this Friday so any advice to help get me ready would be very appreciated!
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyMafia » Wed May 18, 2005 5:15 pm

My recommendation is to draft best available with good balance so you can adjust to the team you are playing each week in the season. I drafted for balance and am presently 4-2.

Although last year I tried a strategy from the draft of drafting avg, runs, and sb's and pitchers I always go for strong K and low whip guys. I ended up 18-8 and tied for 1st.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrigleyivy » Wed May 18, 2005 9:18 pm

in head to head i always do offense. i have by far the best offense and this is what helps me. RP and SP always have cheap and great people off the waivers. dont waste picks on them. because one bad outing by Pedro, Sheets, Prior and you're screwed. Puljos can have a bad day and will still have 6 days to make up for it. people may rip me on this but it works really well for me and my pitching is always one of the best because i get what IS good not gamble what should be good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. Rogers Hornsby
wrigleyivy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby phunkadelic » Thu May 19, 2005 7:53 am

IMO, H2H strategy is the same as Roto.

The only thing I like to is have at least one bench guy that's a SB threat, even if their other numbers are aweful, someone like Dave Roberts or even Alex Sanchez, in case Saturday rolls around and I need 1 or 2 SB to take the cat.

Also, I like to stockpile lots of SP if I have the bench space, since you don't typically have inning limits and more SP can give you tons of Wins and Ks.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby reznorsboy » Thu May 19, 2005 9:52 am

I think the Key to H2H is balance. You want to win as many categories as possible so you need balance. You want a few good power guys mixed with some avg guys and SB guys. If you get heavy in any certain categories then you may win those but lose each week cause you get beat in other less flashy categories. It all depends on what categories are used in the scoring.

Pitching is tricky cause guys that get you wins may hurt you in a few other categories. It sucks because your aces only get one maybe two starts each week so if someone has a bad outing it will really hurt you.

I find H2H as the most challenging type of Fantasy but that's just my opinion
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Thu May 19, 2005 11:17 am

I'd go crazy hitters early in the draft, perfect your starting offence and then work on pitching.

For pitching, work on quality instead of quantity. A few studs beats a boatload of mediocrity in the 2-week H2H finale.

Also try to get Scott Pedsednik - he's probably the best thief in baseball right now and can tag a bunch of bases on any given day.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Thrill » Thu May 19, 2005 11:37 am

I try to make sure my pitching staff is stable in H2H. But I don't rely on them to be overpowering. What I mean is that I've been successful playing SP such as Loaiza or Greinke in H2H simply because they've been giving me very solid outings. Trying to win the "Wins" category in Pitching in H2H seems to be a crapshoot half the time anyway, so I just try to make sure I have solid starters who I am confident playing against almost anyone.

I rely less on RP in H2H since SVs are sometimes a crapshoot as well. Plus, you can usually pick up mid-tier relievers and get decent performances out of them (having players like Hermanson or Turnbow vs. higher drafted players like Rivera and Nathan won't hurt you by any means in H2H).

Offensively, I look for balance, but only count on one player for steals. This year, that player for me has been Jose Reyes (not terribly successful yet, but it's getting there).

I prefer more balanced players such as Abreu, Beltran, Berkman, Damon, etc.) assuming the standard categories on offense.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu May 19, 2005 11:39 am

How early is too early on Pods?

In the two drafts that I've been in this year for mid-season drafts he's gone as pick #17 and pick #27 OVERALL. Maybe I'm undervaluing a one category guy that does admittedly dominate that category but I just can't see going that early for him. I would *consider* a 4th round pick and look at him as a 5th round steal (no pun intended) but at pick #17 or #27 I just can't see it.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Thrill » Thu May 19, 2005 11:51 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:How early is too early on Pods?

In the two drafts that I've been in this year for mid-season drafts he's gone as pick #17 and pick #27 OVERALL. Maybe I'm undervaluing a one category guy that does admittedly dominate that category but I just can't see going that early for him. I would *consider* a 4th round pick and look at him as a 5th round steal (no pun intended) but at pick #17 or #27 I just can't see it.

For 12 team leagues? #17 is definitely too high and #27 is too high, but arguable in H2H IMO.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu May 19, 2005 12:12 pm

Yeah, those were both 12 team leagues but they were roto drafts. In H2H is a guy like Pods more likely to go earlier or later?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers