PITT JOB TO MIKE GONZALEZ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PITT JOB TO MIKE GONZALEZ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed May 18, 2005 3:51 pm

As a former Mike Gonzalez owner, I don't see Gonzo getting the job before the trading deadline. Pitt will keep Mesa in that role, if anything, and trade him and then put Gonzo in that role. He'll garner less money as a setup man.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Wed May 18, 2005 4:00 pm

Agree with Transmo, Mesa will keep the job until the trade deadline at least. There is another thread saying that he has threatened to retire rather than leave Pitt, so who knows what will happen. But I bet he does get traded and Gonzalez gets the job.

If I had Mesa, I would trade him ASAP. The closer is gets to the deadline, the greaer there will be a collective assumption that he will get traded to a contender in a set-up capacity.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 18, 2005 4:19 pm

there were rumblings on local sports radio here in atlanta about trying to trade for mesa.....

but he probably does not want to get traded so he blew a couple of saves to keep that from happening.....

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Thu May 19, 2005 12:18 am

Mesa has been a ticking time bomb all year. The guy in my league who has him has been ribbing me for ripping on Mesa at the beginning of the season in a season preview thing I wrote for our league. Now, Mesa is turning back into the Jose Mesa we all know and love (if he's not on your team).
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby thehat » Thu May 19, 2005 12:22 am

Mesa had converted 24 straight saves till the last two days and it's not like they ripped him today, he just wasn't very fortunate.

I don't see him losing the job anytime soon, unless he goes stone Kolb. (jeez, did I really say that?)
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby reznorsboy » Thu May 19, 2005 12:55 am

Mesa converted something like 24 saves in a row....WHy all the dounters?
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu May 19, 2005 12:58 am

Transmogrifier wrote:As a former Mike Gonzalez owner, I don't see Gonzo getting the job before the trading deadline. Pitt will keep Mesa in that role, if anything, and trade him and then put Gonzo in that role. He'll garner less money as a setup man.

As the current owner of your Mike Gonzalez I think the end of Mesa's reign is coming to an end more sooner than later. :-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu May 19, 2005 1:22 am

Please fantasy gods, please make Gonzalez and Wagner closers for their respective teams. Also please give the D-Rays a smack on the head for me and tell them to bring up Gathright now! That is all ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu May 19, 2005 9:47 am

Krunk City King$ wrote:there were rumblings on local sports radio here in atlanta about trying to trade for mesa.....

but he probably does not want to get traded so he blew a couple of saves to keep that from happening.....

:-D

I am in the same boat as you other conspiracy theorists...I know you can't say for sure, but I wouldn't doubt this is happening. How many times has Mesa started off hot, been talked about in trade rumors, mysteriously goes cold for 2-3 weeks, and then (once the trade talk dies down) goes back on a roll again. Hmmmm.... ;-)

Of course yesterday, all things had to go right for Mesa to blow the save. If the ball that Ward tipped off his glove is handled cleanly, the game would have still been intact.

Still, Mesa's the one that threw it where he did so that the batter could hit it there... :-? :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers