Kolb out as closer! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kolb out as closer!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RC » Wed May 18, 2005 11:10 pm

solracp25 wrote:How much would it effect a starter, if he pitched relief 2 days after his start/2 days before his next start. I know ATL would never do this, but I was just curious on the effects. In a perfect world I would just have smoltz go with a 90 pitch limit in starts and get him in there for crucial games if the current closer gets hit hard. But we will have to wait for the postseason to see this.

First mention of Smoltz taking his old job back... :-?
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ravenmad22 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:12 am

Cox says he's going to go with "who is rested, and who is hot"

Reitsma: 7 ER in last 2 IP

Bernero: 19/2 K/BB ratio

Who is the "hot" pitcher right now? Who cares about his career history? Most of it is as a starter, and the other part is at coors field. Those stats have little meaning now that he's a reliever, pitching for the greatest pitching coach of the last 20 years, and out of coors field.

Bernero will definetly get the first shot.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Thu May 19, 2005 12:34 am

klvrdude wrote:I don't know why everyone is going so crazy over Bernero??? The guy is pitching WAY over his head. I know Reitsma had a few shaky outtings in his last few appearances, but I have a strong feeling Reitsma is going to get first dibs. No organization truely has a CBC, they just say that for politics.

Reitsma has some career saves from '03 and '04, Bernero has none, but he did have a 1-14 record in '03. Oh and Bernero hasn't had a full season with an ERA below 5.2 since 2000 and now he's going to be the golden child, come on.

Using your logic, I guess Bonderman is pitching way over his head as well since he lost 19 on that same Tiger team. I'd better drop him immediately. And it's a good thing I don't own Maroth, either.

Bernero has the best shot IMO to be the prime righthanded option in the ninth, and I would not be surprised if he eventually takes the job fulltime. He might also blow it bigtime and Kolb could end up back in the role if he gets straightened out, but I'm taking my shot on Bernero with my last roster spots where he's available.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby swingaway » Thu May 19, 2005 1:26 am

has there been any talk about any trades for a closer?
Also a side not lyon is heading to the dl
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu May 19, 2005 2:12 am

Is it too late to say ...

I told ya so ... ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby DGroundhog » Thu May 19, 2005 2:20 am

wrveres wrote:Is it too late to say ...

I told ya so ... ;-)

...an 'I told ya so' from the driver of the Austin Kearns bandwagon who can't see any fantasy value in Adam Dunn?

Oh, the irony!

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu May 19, 2005 2:29 am

DGroundhog wrote:

I told ya so ... ;-)

...an 'I told ya so' from the driver of the Austin Kearns bandwagon who can't see any fantasy value in Adam Dunn?

Oh, the irony!

lol ... :-b

I still don't see the value in a 250 BA, even if he went on to hit 74 hr's. Oh and don't forget the 74 RBIS that go along with it. ;-)

As for Kolb ..
You can search it ..

"bust of the year" ..is what I have been calling him all spring.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DGroundhog » Thu May 19, 2005 4:37 am

wrveres wrote:
DGroundhog wrote:

I told ya so ... ;-)

Oh, the irony!

lol ... :-b

I still don't see the value in a 250 BA, even if he went on to hit 74 hr's. Oh and don't forget the 74 RBIS that go along with it. ;-)

As for Kolb ..
You can search it ..

"bust of the year" ..is what I have been calling him all spring.

I hear ya. Personally I never had much use for Sexson or Thome in my roto leagues either. I'm just not gonna draft them as high as others do.

I still think Kolb has a better than decent chance to regain his job, not that I'm a big fan of his either. Owned him in 2003 as a waiver claim, passed on him since.

Even last year he wasn't what he was in 2003. He got about 1K/IP in 2003, only about .33K/IP in 2004. Still, it's too early to leave him for dead IMO. I don't really expect him to be a high K rate RP, but if his arm is healthy he can probably work thru it. He's working with some of the best.

For personal interests I gotta root for Bernero since I picked him up before the Kolb owner heard the news.

:-D

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseballnewb » Thu May 19, 2005 9:12 am

Its fine that you think Kolb would be a bust, looking at his second half splits last year I think most people did. Looking at where he went in most drafts I think most people were low on him as well. But to say you expected this out of him is like me saying I expected Brian Roberts to do what he's doing now when I predicted he'd hit more HR's this year. Kolb obviously completely lost it this year, this is much worse than the second half last year and he has absolutely no control.

As for Dunn, if you don't see value in him you have no clue about fantasy baseball. He hit .266 last year and most likely will hit higher this year, he'll hit 40-50 HR's, steal 5-10 bases and score 100 runs and knock in 100 rbi. Kearns won't come anywhere near that in value this year or quite possibly any year.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu May 19, 2005 9:34 am

baseballnewb wrote:Its fine that you think Kolb would be a bust, looking at his second half splits last year I think most people did. Looking at where he went in most drafts I think most people were low on him as well. But to say you expected this out of him is like me saying I expected Brian Roberts to do what he's doing now when I predicted he'd hit more HR's this year. Kolb obviously completely lost it this year, this is much worse than the second half last year and he has absolutely no control.

As for Dunn, if you don't see value in him you have no clue about fantasy baseball. He hit .266 last year and most likely will hit higher this year, he'll hit 40-50 HR's, steal 5-10 bases and score 100 runs and knock in 100 rbi. Kearns won't come anywhere near that in value this year or quite possibly any year.

what is this pick on wrveres day or something .? ?

Is mars lined up with jupiter and causing a reflection on the moon or something?

We were discussing a thread from two seasons ago.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers