Kolb out as closer! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kolb out as closer!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed May 18, 2005 6:37 pm

With Mota's imminent return, I dropped Todd Jones for Bernero. The way Reitsma's been throwing of late, I can't see them giving him first crack at closer. Bernero's been great this year, and while those career #'s aren't good, the upside is he's still pretty young at 28, and was bad as a starter. Bad starter does not necessarily = bad reliever.

I say drop whoever you need to for Bernero, it's your team and you know your league better than anyone. However, I would NEVER drop a player of D, Wright's quailty for him in any league setting.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 18, 2005 6:40 pm

solracp25 wrote:Bernero/restima

i would look for both of these guys to get some work. but if one guy stinks up the joint look for the other to take over.

if one guy pitches on one night, then look for the other guy on the next night unless the first guy that is used is lights (strikes out the side) out...

bobby is loyal to his players. so if one guy sticks early (Bernero), then it will be his job to lose until kolb snaps out of his funk or gets traded.

Reithsma has closed before but like a local talk show host on 790 the zone was saying this morning....."has anyone noticed that he is not that good?"

:-t
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Wed May 18, 2005 6:50 pm

I'm guessing this will be a Bernero/Foster matchup tandem.

Reitsma, IMO, doesn't project as a closer, and besides, he's also been pretty terrible of late. Sosa has control issues, so he also may not figure.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Nisly » Wed May 18, 2005 7:46 pm

Is anyone else scrambling to pick up John Rocker? I just dropped Beltre for him? Honestly, the guy deserves another shot. He's had to put up with 6 long years of abuse and harassment from fans and media. I'm ready to forgive and forget.

Really, I don't think there's any reason to make a major mistake by adding one of these guys and dropping a slumping player. Go for it if you have an empty roster spot though. Any predictions on the Save total of the eventual Atl closer, assuming someone solidifies the job in the next 2-4 weeeks?
Nisly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby duckbillgates » Wed May 18, 2005 8:24 pm

Nisly wrote:Any predictions on the Save total of the eventual Atl closer, assuming someone solidifies the job in the next 2-4 weeeks?

I think that's why everyone is champing at the bit. They've had something like 13 save opps already, so there is, on the extreme high end, 30-save potential out of the Braves closer the rest of the way out.

My take on any newly promoted, unproven closer is to treat them as on of the worst closers in the league. That's where you place your value, and you can be pleasantly surprised when they prove you wrong. Are there any closers on your waiver wire right now? Probably not. They all deserve a roster spot, just be careful who you drop for them.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed May 18, 2005 9:31 pm

baseballnewb wrote:Why on earth would you drop finley for some guy that has never been good in his career and doesn't even have the job by himself yet. I just don't get it.

At this point, I'd drop Finley for a bag of Cheetos...
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed May 18, 2005 9:33 pm

Paco625 wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote::-o I dropped Borowski and David Wright to get him !

I don't think dropping D. Wright was the right move....i'm debating whether to drop Borowski or not...hmm....

8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o 8-o
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PhilliesPhan » Wed May 18, 2005 9:47 pm

Kolb demoted as closer
Braves agree 'things aren't working'

By DAVID O'BRIEN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/18/05

SAN DIEGO — The longest Braves road trip of the season is turning into the most brutal two weeks of Dan Kolb's career.

The Braves closer lost his job after blowing another save — and another potential win for John Smoltz — when Kolb allowed two runs in the ninth inning of a 3-2 loss to the San Diego Padres on Tuesday.

Manager Bobby Cox said Wednesday that Kolb (1-4, 6.48 ERA) would move to middle relief and the Braves would "piece together" the closer role by committee.

"It's building a little too much," the manager said, referring to the late-inning meltdowns in general and to the scrutiny on Kolb, who has blown two saves on the trip and three in 13 opportunities this season. "We need to straighten it out before it explodes. That's what we're doing."

The Braves didn't need a closer Wednesday when the Padres beat them 8-4 to complete a three-game sweep. Atlanta dropped to 3-6 on a 12-game trip that concludes with a weekend series at Boston.

Atlanta blew eighth- or ninth-inning leads in four losses on the trip.

"I totally understand [the Kolb move]," third baseman Chipper

Jones said. "The time has come to make changes. We should have a bigger lead than we do."

Atlanta's lead in the NL East is down to a half-game over Florida.

"It's been a rough road trip," said center fielder Andruw Jones, who's done his part with six home runs. "The starting pitchers are pitching great. Even the bullpen, they manage to keep us in the game. It's just the last three outs — we've not been getting the job done."

Cox said any other reliever could be used in ninth-inning situations
for the immediate future, depending on matchups, who's rested and who's hot.

Adam Bernero, Chris Reitsma, Jorge Sosa and left-hander John Foster seem likely candidates, along with Kevin Gryboski after he returns from the disabled list.

Kolb, who is a $3.4 million middle reliever until further notice, looked distraught after Cox met with him Wednesday morning. "You've just got to respect what he says," Kolb said, looking away as he answered a reporter's questions. "He's trying to do what's best for the team."

Kolb blew two saves in six days, costing Smoltz two potential wins.

Smoltz, the former closer whose shoes Kolb has failed to fill, allowed four hits and one run in eight innings Tuesday and left with a 3-1 lead. Kolb surrendered two runs, three hits and two walks in the ninth while recording one out. He walked the first batter he faced for the 13th time.

First batters are hitting .286 with a .429 on-base percentage against Kolb, after hitting .177 with a .219 OBP against Smoltz during the 2002-04 seasons.

Pitching coach Leo Mazzone was asked about getting a game's last three outs.

"Some pitchers make it a lot more difficult than it should be," Mazzone said. "You can't [walk the leadoff man] in a one-run game. Or any save situation, really. It comes back to get you."

Kolb said after walking Ryan Klesko to start the ninth Tuesday, "Leadoff walks don't bother me. I'm a ground ball pitcher; I can get double plays."

Cox wants Kolb to work on command and use his slider and changeup more.

"I pitch the way I pitch," Kolb said of that suggestion. "I'm a fastball guy. I'm getting ground balls now. I'm just going to try to keep going [at] guys."

He has the fourth-highest ERA among NL relievers, second-highest walks rate (16 in 16 2/3 innings), and fourth-worst baserunners-per-nine-innings (18.4).

On May 11 at Colorado, Smoltz allowed four runs (three earned) in eight innings and the Braves scored three in the ninth for a 5-4 lead. Kolb allowed two runs in the bottom of the ninth and recorded one out.

"Smoltz pitched great in Colorado and he pitched great [in San Diego]," Andruw Jones said. "But if you don't get the last three outs, you're not going to win. . . . I'm sure [Smoltz] is frustrated a little bit. You wish he could go nine, but you've got to pass it over to those bullpen guys because they've got a job to do, and that's what they're here for."

It was the fourth time on the trip that Atlanta blew an eighth- or ninth-inning lead, Reitsma and Kolb each picking up two losses and two blown saves.

Kolb is popular in the clubhouse, but teammates agreed with Cox's decision.

"It's very important for the team," Chipper Jones said. "Things aren't working, so he's going to change it up a little bit. We got some questions down [in the bullpen], no doubt. When you have a lead in the eighth and ninth inning, you have to close the door."

Smoltz said he felt bad for Kolb. He'd hoped his replacement would get off to a good start to quiet skeptics who questioned the decision to go with a low-strikeout closer who had the role less than two full seasons in Milwaukee.

"It's tough enough answering questions after you don't get it done," Smoltz said. "But the way it's been happening, it's probably getting more people uneasy, because he's got the stuff and he just is not throwing enough strikes. He knows that and he's putting a lot of pressure on himself.

"This is not a fun environment to come into and feel like you have to be perfect all the time."
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby klvrdude » Wed May 18, 2005 10:00 pm

I don't know why everyone is going so crazy over Bernero??? The guy is pitching WAY over his head. I know Reitsma had a few shaky outtings in his last few appearances, but I have a strong feeling Reitsma is going to get first dibs. No organization truely has a CBC, they just say that for politics.

Reitsma has some career saves from '03 and '04, Bernero has none, but he did have a 1-14 record in '03. Oh and Bernero hasn't had a full season with an ERA below 5.2 since 2000 and now he's going to be the golden child, come on.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby solracp25 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:27 pm

How much would it effect a starter, if he pitched relief 2 days after his start/2 days before his next start. I know ATL would never do this, but I was just curious on the effects. In a perfect world I would just have smoltz go with a 90 pitch limit in starts and get him in there for crucial games if the current closer gets hit hard. But we will have to wait for the postseason to see this.
solracp25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers