Monster Year for Glaus?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Monster Year for Glaus??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Monster Year for Glaus??

Postby D-Buc » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:59 pm

Anyone else thing Glaus is gonna go off for 50 bombs this year? Once he changed bats (2 oz lighter) about a week before the playoffs, he was lights out the rest of the way.

I think this is his year. I rate him #1 at 3rd Base, Pujols included.
"Dat's what dis team's all about: playin' defense and breakin' hearts."---Torii Hunter, 2002
D-Buc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:16 pm

Hard to say. If the new bat helps his bat speed, not to mention his confidence, he could indeed be the most valuable 3b. The trouble is that he's riskier than a player like Pujols. If Glaus can raise his average a bit, the 3b crown could well be his.

Spring training numbers don't usually mean much, but keep an eye on Glaus anyway. If he looks sharp, bump him up a notch.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hbj79 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:18 pm

Your crazy to rate him above Pujols. Even if he does hit 50 HR's he won't be as complete a player (.275 max! could be .260). Pujols will hit around 40 with a .320 avg.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:21 pm

I think Glaus will have a great year. I'd rank him in my top 5 choices
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby D-Buc » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:22 pm

He's already on my squad, so I'm just pumping up my hopes for him. After last year's title, our 11-team 5x5 is expanding to 13 teams. We all got to protect 3 right way, and I went with Pedro, Glaus, and A. Boone (eligible at 3rd and SS, and soon at 2nd). Plus when I lose my first player to expansion, I get to pull back 2 more:

Those guys to choose from are Millwood, Burrell, Abreu, Dunn, Wood, and Burnett. I guess you could throw in Sheffield, too, and Preston Wilson if you believe the Colorado hype, although, you do have to make CONTACT for Coors Field to help you.

Any thoughts, on who I'll lose right away, and then the next 2 I should keep??
"Dat's what dis team's all about: playin' defense and breakin' hearts."---Torii Hunter, 2002
D-Buc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby D-Buc » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:25 pm

Keep in mind that this a keeper league where Pujols will lose his 3B eligibility after this year. Not to mention that Pujols is more like 26 than 22. I would bet a McDonald's Value Meal that he is older than Glaus.

Glaus 2003: .276, 98 runs, 51 HR, 124 RBI, 14 SB's and runner-up to A-Rod in AL MVP voting
D-Buc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:38 pm

Of those options, Abreu looks best, followed by Wood, Burrell and Dunn (in no particular order).

I can see 50 or so homers for Glaus this year - whether he can reach that .276 average will determine where he ranks among 3b's...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hbj79 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:44 pm

Those are great numbers by Glaus but they much better than Pujols .314, 34, 127, 118,2. It is true that Pujols prob. won't qualify at third in many eagues after this year. However in terms of being a hitter Pujols is safer than Glaus. Don't get me wrong Glaus is a good keeper. You prob. lose Abreu and it you don't get him back. I'd also try and get Burrell back.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Glaus or Chavez?

Postby Ballwreckers » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:28 pm

I like to see what people think considering that Chavez is on the rise and seems to be improving on his stata.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tallmike » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:29 pm

I like Glaus for this year. One other quirk that's interesting for some leagues is that at some point Glaus usually plays a game at short (he played short in college) which makes him eligible there in some leagues in season.

His average will come up and he'll hit the lights out.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers