[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 562: include(./includes/trivia_unanswer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 562: include() [function.include]: Failed opening './includes/trivia_unanswer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php')
negro leagues (answered) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Trivia Time Trial

negro leagues (answered)

Moderator: Baseball Trivia Mods

negro leagues (answered)

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:58 am

While we're guessing cities, can you come up with those that had Negro League teams? Barnstorming teams often associated with the Negro Leagues don't count...

There were some great teams here that probably won't give you much trouble, but some are more obscure. Good luck!
Last edited by Arlo on Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uanap » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:20 pm

Ok, I'll get this party started. I know Kansas City had one for sure. I think Burmingham had one as well. How many teams were in the Negro League anyways?
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:33 pm

uanap gets the party started on the right foot with the Kansas City Monarchs and the Birmingham Black Barons and asks the tough question: how many teams were there?

Actually, there were several "Negro Leagues," including the Negro National League and the Eastern Colored League of the '20s, and the Negro National League and Negro American League of the '30s and 40's, along with many independent teams. There's no real agreement on exactly which teams count as Negro League teams (at least not to the best of my knowledge), but I'm looking for about 20 here. Any more suggetstions? Two for two so far (now that's a line I'd love to see on my underachieving fantasy team :-D )...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

trivia champ

Postby cwebb » Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:05 pm

Well, you're the trivia champ, and here are some blind guesses:
Atlanta (pretty much south...)
Chicago (always has a team in every league)
New York (see above, no league is called "National" without a team from the Big Apple)
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:17 am

Were those guesses really blind, cwebb? All three are correct: you picked up the Atlanta Black Crackers, the Chicago American Giants, the New York Black Yankees and the New York Cubans (yeah, the Big Apple always has a team, and usually more than one). I'll also give you the Brooklyn Royal Giants for New York. Five teams with just three guesses - not bad :-D

cwebb will also be pleased to hear that the American Giants were a great team...

Who's next?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nkeitt » Sun May 12, 2002 8:11 pm

I will probably be the first guy here to guess wrong on these, but I think Washington, DC might have had a team at some point. Also didn't Rochester, NY have one? I'm guessing Columbus, OH Columbia, SC and Raleigh, NC as well - mainly for the heck of it :-D
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sun May 12, 2002 8:23 pm

You're right about DC: the Homestead Grays, based primarily in/near Pittsburgh, played in Washington during World War II. Another team that played in DC was the Elite Giants, who also played in Columbus, as well as Nashville and Baltimore.

The other two cities you list aren't traditionally considered to have had Negro League teams, although definítions do vary.

Two-for-four! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun May 12, 2002 10:03 pm

I suppose guessing Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Baltimore at this point would be cheating... ;)
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 5:31 am

Nah, that would be just a tiny bit too easy... :-D

(Incidentally, when mentioning these cities, we should add the Baltimore Black Sox and Pittsburgh Crawfords to our list of teams).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

well

Postby cwebb » Mon May 13, 2002 6:04 am

Has LA already been mentioned?
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Trivia Time Trial