fanball says Joe Table will be changing towns - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

fanball says Joe Table will be changing towns

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

fanball says Joe Table will be changing towns

Postby Cooner » Wed May 18, 2005 12:23 pm

So in a piece about Jose Mesa, Fanball proclaimed that the Pirates were "showcasing Mesa for a mid-season trade." I follow my Buccos pretty closely, and haven't seen anything REAL about this other than media speculation. Has anyone else? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me with the low contract, unless they got a really good deal from someone. Also I know Mesa likes it in Pittsburgh- he's sorta revived his career with us, so I get the impression he wants to stay.

I'm assuming this is just Fanball blowing smoke like usual, implying it's definite when that's not at all the case, but just wanted to check if anyone had heard anything...
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 18, 2005 12:46 pm

I'm not sure if there's any truth to it but if they're out of it near the deadline it doesn't seem too far-fetched with Mesa being signed to a one-year deal.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Box » Wed May 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Well he's only signed to a one year deal, with a $4M option for 2006 and I seriously doubt the Pirates are gonna pay that much for a 40 year old reliever. Especially with Gonzalez waiting in the wings.

Odds are he's shipped off before the break.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed May 18, 2005 12:51 pm

it makes sense because a contending team could use an experienced rp and he has option which isn't rediculously expensive.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 18, 2005 12:51 pm

Well, if you want to believe the guys from the ESPN message boards (:-o), they say that they have heard Mesa state before that if he's traded he will retire. He doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh for whatever reason...maybe he's afraid that he will choke it again if he goes to a contender, and he knows that Pittsburgh has little to no chance of being one...so that would bring him less stress.

I can't claim to know anymore than they or Fanball does...so take it all with a grain of your favorite seasoning. :-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: fanball says Joe Table will be changing towns

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 18, 2005 12:52 pm

Cooner wrote:Fanball proclaimed that the Pirates were "showcasing Mesa for a mid-season trade

it is utterly impossible for a team to showcase a closer. he plays just the same whether they're going to trade him or not. what the hell are they thinking with that statement?

that said, it would be dumb not to trade him. the pirates don't need a closer any more than the Royals do.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 18, 2005 12:53 pm

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut somedays so they may be right but normally it's best to ignore any of the drivel that comes out of those ESPN boards. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TonyCee » Wed May 18, 2005 1:13 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Well, if you want to believe the guys from the ESPN message boards (:-o), they say that they have heard Mesa state before that if he's traded he will retire. He doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh for whatever reason...maybe he's afraid that he will choke it again if he goes to a contender, and he knows that Pittsburgh has little to no chance of being one...so that would bring him less stress.

I can't claim to know anymore than they or Fanball does...so take it all with a grain of your favorite seasoning. :-D

They are right, it's because the Pirates were the only team to offer him a contract last year and a second chance, this came up last year and he said he would rather retire than go to any of the teams that passed him up last year. He said those teams had there chance and they passed on him.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby .38 Special » Wed May 18, 2005 1:47 pm

TonyCee wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:Well, if you want to believe the guys from the ESPN message boards (:-o), they say that they have heard Mesa state before that if he's traded he will retire. He doesn't want to leave Pittsburgh for whatever reason...maybe he's afraid that he will choke it again if he goes to a contender, and he knows that Pittsburgh has little to no chance of being one...so that would bring him less stress.

They are right, it's because the Pirates were the only team to offer him a contract last year and a second chance, this came up last year and he said he would rather retire than go to any of the teams that passed him up last year. He said those teams had there chance and they passed on him.

I believe his qoute was he if he was traded to either the Giants or Cubs (I can't remember which) he would retire, because they turned their nose to him a few years back and he still holds a grudge. I heard him doing an interview on MLB.COM Radio....and he didn't seem against a trade...just against playing for whichever team turned their nose to him. I am fairly certain it was the Giants, because Omar Vizquel is also on that team and he has a grudge with him also.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers