The Anibal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Anibal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Anibal

Postby mrmarley » Wed May 18, 2005 10:17 am

Anyone seen this kid pitch? It's only A ball, but sounds like someone that would be fun to watch dominate at that level.

Anibal Sanchez, taken from Hardball:

Sanchez, 21, has 44 strikeouts and 1 walk in 26 innings this season. Carolina League hitters are at .182 against him right now. This is coming off a 2004 campaign in which he whiffed 101 in 76 innings (29 walks) over 15 starts for Lowell. Just 15, because he missed all of 2003 with an elbow injury. That seems like light years ago however.

His numbers look eerily similar to Josh Beckett's at a similar age, at a similar level, except Sanchez is pitching better. Boston seems to be taking it slow with him, but if he keeps this up, he's going to be in Fenway awfully soon. If he comes to a minor league park near you before then, I recommend taking a look-see.

Googled for:

Born: February 27, 1984
Resides: Marcay Aragua, VZ
Height: 6-0
Weight: 180
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Drafted: Not drafted
How Acquired: Minor league
free agent (Jan. 2001)
ETA: 2007

Scouting Report: Sanchez throws a mid-90s fastball with excellent control and great movement. Also throws a fantastic curveball and a plus changeup. Very high ceiling, but lack of experience may currently deter any high projections.
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Wed May 18, 2005 10:35 am

That's great stuff man. I love reading about young hurlers, but ugh, he pitches for Boston :-o
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mrmarley » Wed May 18, 2005 11:25 am

thanks, I agree, always interesting to read about the possible "next big thing" a few yrs in advance. ;-D
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby logan » Wed May 18, 2005 11:33 am

hmm pitches for the blue rocks. guess im gonna have to find out when hes gonna start at home so i can go see him. ;-D

heres his team bio

About Anibal Sanchez
Career Notes: 2004: After missing all of 2003 following “Tommy John” surgery, rebounded to earn Pitcher of the Year honors with short-season Single-A Lowell (NYP)...in 15 starts, led the New York-Penn League with 101 strikeouts and finished 2nd in the league with a 1.77 ERA...with 101 K’s in only 76.1 innings, averaged 11.9 strikeouts per 9 innings...held opponents to a .160 average, allowing 2 hits or less in 7 of his 15 starts, including 6.0 innings of one-hit ball in his final start August 31 vs. Hudson Valley, a game the Spinners lost 9-1 after Sanchez left with a 1-0 lead...in 6 August starts, surrendered just 3 earned runs over 34.2 innings to go 2-1 with a 0.78 ERA, lowering his ERA to 1.77 from 2.59 and earning Red Sox Minor League Pitcher of the Month honors...had consecutive 10-strikeout efforts August 21 at Tri-City and August 26 vs. New Jersey, when 10 of the 14 outs he recorded came by way of the K...was 1-1 with a 0.50 ERA (2 ER/35.2 IP) at LeLacheur Park and 2-3 with a 2.88 ERA (13 ER/40.2 IP) on the road...following the season, pitched for Magallanes of the Venezuelan Winter League...2003: Missed the entire year following "Tommy John" ligament-replacement surgery on his right elbow. 2002: In his 2nd season in the Venezuelan Summer League, went 5-3 with a 3.50 ERA in 11 starts for Ciudad Alianza...walked just one batter for every 6.6 strikeouts he recorded, fanning 73 and walking 11 in 61.2 innings...earned the win July 23 vs. Mariara by striking out 10 in 5.0 shutout innings in what would be his final pitching appearance for nearly 2 years...2001: Made his pro debut with San Joaquin of the Venezuelan Summer League, appearing in 24 games, all but one in relief...went 4-3 with a 3.19 ERA, and fanned 64 in 53.2 innings.
Residence: Maracay, VZ
Last Year Team: Lowell
Last edited by logan on Wed May 18, 2005 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pokey » Wed May 18, 2005 11:33 am

It's great to know that Boston has some good young pitching in their system to help out a couple years down the road. Their staff right now is looking awfully old.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokey » Wed May 18, 2005 11:38 am

Here's an interesting article on him:

http://sports.mainetoday.com/seadogs/th ... omas.shtml

So the Portland Sea Dogs lost closer Cla Meredith because he was just too tough at this level of pro ball. Meredith took his 0.00 ERA to Triple-A Pawtucket (where his ERA is still zero after a scoreless inning on Friday).

If players move up after they prove themselves too good for one level, how long will it be until right-handed starter Anibal Sanchez reports to Hadlock Field?

Sanchez is blowing away batters in advanced Class A Wilmington, Del. In 26 innings, Sanchez has 44 strikeouts and only one walk. More telling is his dominance of right-handed batters. Of the first 54 righties he faced, 30 struck out, according to Baseball America.
Going into a scheduled start Saturday night, Sanchez was 2-1 with a 2.42 ERA. Five of the seven earned runs he's allowed were given up in one game, his only clunker.

Sanchez, 21, is listed as the Red Sox's No. 5 prospect, according to Baseball America. Should he come to Portland soon, the Sea Dogs would have the top six Red Sox prospectsThe Red Sox signed Sanchez out of Venezuela when he was 16. He underwent elbow surgery in 2003 and pitched for short-season Lowell last year (4-4, 1.77, 101 strikeouts in 76 innings).

His fastball is said to be in the mid-90s and lively - but apparently under control. He also used a curve and change-up.

Strikes out well over half of the righties he faces. That's pretty impressive.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pokey » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:28 am

I'm bumping this thread because I have a serious man-crush on Anibal. Check out his stats in my sig-- This guy could be something special.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:33 am

i got a chance to see him pitch early this year before he moved on up to AA..... i sure would have loved for the drays to land him in the manny blockbuster at the trade deadline..... i think he will make a very solid pitcher in the future......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:11 am

The guy is a beast!!!! In 2 years the Sox could have there very own "Big 3" in Sanchez, Lester and Papelbon with Delcarman and Hansen coming out of the pen....I'm drooling now

There's also been an El Guapo sighting!! He's been pitching GCL Red Sox and let up a homer and 4 k's in 2 innings.
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:27 am

Does he have any cool nicknames? The possibilities are endless for a name like Anibal Sanchez. "Dirty" Sanchez, "The Anibal", "Anibal the Cannibal", "Anibal Lecter", what a beast. I'm so jealous.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers