Easy Cafe Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Easy Cafe Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedukeorsino » Tue May 17, 2005 8:32 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i think i disagree with the clark and garland nominations, but i think everyone can agree that brian roberts is never going to produce a stretch like this again in his career.

C
1B Tino Martinez
2B Brian Roberts
3B
SS Clint Barmes
OF Brady Clark
OF
OF
SP Jon Garland
SP Kenny Rogers
RP Jose Mesa

Oh come on!

You made the most unimaginative pick of the bunch. Furthermore, I believe the question was the player playing the furthest over their head. Everyone agrees that Roberts won't keep this up all year, but do you really think that after this season he will return to his old level? Absolutely not. Roberts wil not magically lose all of his new skill.

Now, take a look at Craig Counsell: 26 BB (8th Overall) .428 OBP, 8 steals, .295 avg, 11doubles, for a guy who hasn't hit over .240 since 2002 or stolen more than 17 bases in a season in his career. Actually, if you look at his career stats, it looks like he started stealing bases when his BA started dropping off. Hey, it's a way to keep a steady job.

So:

C
1B Tino Martinez
2B Craig Counsell
3B
SS Clint Barmes
OF Brady Clark
OF
OF
SP Jon Garland
SP Kenny Rogers
RP Jose Mesa

;-D
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 17, 2005 8:38 pm

3b - Shea Hillenbrand......

the 5th ranked 3b in yahoo as of today... he has always been a good contact hitter hitting over 300 or so,,,, but wow hitting 349 so far this year has been amazing..... his homeruns and rbis are right in line with his normal production of 18 hrs and 80 rbis,,,,but 30 runs scored in almost 1/4 of the season is super high.... considering his place in the batting order, one could easily assume his runs scored would fall, along with his BA down to 310 or so....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby coherentinsomnia » Tue May 17, 2005 8:39 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:3b - Shea Hillenbrand......

the 5th ranked 3b in yahoo as of today... he has always been a good contact hitter hitting over 300 or so,,,, but wow hitting 349 so far this year has been amazing..... his homeruns and rbis are right in line with his normal production of 18 hrs and 80 rbis,,,,but 30 runs scored in almost 1/4 of the season is super high.... considering his place in the batting order, one could easily assume his runs scored would fall, along with his BA down to 310 or so....

he was another player i was thinking but i also thought he had alot of potential and is due for a breakout year....well at least i hope!

"Please do not feed the animals, that is our job"
coherentinsomnia
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby daullaz » Tue May 17, 2005 9:07 pm

I'll take catcher. It has to be Brandon Inge. I know, I know, he plays third, but we all know his realy value lies is his catcher eligibility. Hey, he's playing well enough that I'm starting him in the OF in my weekly transaction league, as my current catcher is the #2 catcher in fantasy baseball, Javy Lopez. Who's number 1? None other than Brandon Inge. I seriously doubt he'll be #1 at the end of the season.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Re: Easy Cafe Game

Postby Box » Wed May 18, 2005 9:40 am

RP - Dustin Hermanson

The guy hasnt had an ERA less than 4 since 1998. He has 9 saves without an ER or a blown save. His entire team is held together with smoke and mirrors. I certainly don't expect him to have an ERA of 0 or post Rivera-like K/9 numbers much longer. In wayyy over his head.

List so far

C Brandon Inge
1B Tino Martinez
2B Brian Roberts battles Craig Counsell
3B Shea Hillenbrand
SS Clint Barmes
OF Brady Clark
OF Cliff Floyd
OF
SP Jon Garland
SP Kenny Rogers
RP Jose Mesa
RP Dustin Hermanson
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby demondemon » Wed May 18, 2005 10:10 am

I can fill in the last OF spot for you....Milton Bradley.
demondemon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cookman » Wed May 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Disagree with the Clark pick, I've seen him play a couple times this year, and I think he can be for real. Plus, the Brewers offense is pretty good this year. Now if only he could learn how to steal a base...

I'd like to nominate Klesko and Dontrelle. Would've thrown El Duque in there until he got shelled by the Rangers on Monday and raised his ERA a full point.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Wed May 18, 2005 3:50 pm

thedukeorsino wrote:
Oh come on!

You made the most unimaginative pick of the bunch. Furthermore, I believe the question was the player playing the furthest over their head. Everyone agrees that Roberts won't keep this up all year, but do you really think that after this season he will return to his old level? Absolutely not. Roberts wil not magically lose all of his new skill.

hold on, so brian roberts is a "bad" pick because he isn't play high enough over his head? are you kidding? he's got 11 home runs so far. i don't think he's going to "magically lose all of his new skill" because i don't think he's magically gained 50 home run power in the offseason. what "new skill" are you talking about here? this is just a very, very hot streak. if you'll recall, Brady Anderson had a similar one for the O's a few years back, and it lasted the whole year. then that home run power never came back. random stuff happens. roberts has never had double-digit home runs in a season before this one. i'm pretty sure brian roberts is the definition of playing over your head.

as for council... at least he's put up numbers in this realm before, albeit a while back. but this is a guy who has hit over .300 in a season before. and a lot of his new-found success can be attributed to his offense improving in the offseason. better bats behind him means he can be more selective and patient. he's certainly over his head right now with the stolen bases, but would anyone really be stunned if craig counsel ends up hitting .280 this year? now what if roberts ends up at .360? there's a slight difference in magnitude you seem to be ignoring here. ;-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers