Best team in the majors? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best team in the majors?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best team in the majors?

Postby daullaz » Tue May 17, 2005 4:57 pm

O.K. I was looking at the player ranking pages on CBS Sportsline when I came across this page:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/playerrankings/regularseason/TEAM

On the bottom of the rankings is this explanation:

The SportsLine Team Rankings are derived by creating an average of each team's positional players as well as top 5 starters and top 3 relievers. These players' averages are then combined to create the overall ranking. Players are penalized for games missed and pitchers need to meet innings pitched criteria to make the list. The Rankings are updated daily.

Today, the rankings have this as the top-ten:

1. Florida Marlins
2. St. Louis Cardinals
3. Chicago White Sox
4. Baltimore Orioles
5. Minnesota Twins
6. Boston Red Sox
7. Arizona Diamondbacks
8. Atlanta Braves
9. Los Angeles Angels
10. Los Angeles Dodgers

So, what do you think? Which teams rise and which fall? I think within a month the White Sox will be out of the top ten. They're ranked 2nd in SP and 3rd in RP; somehow, I don't see those trends continuing. I think the Padres, who today sit at number 12, will be high on this list in a month. They don't rank higher than 11th in any one category, but I think their pitching will vault them up in the rankings. Just some ramblings...
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby zergeR » Tue May 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Texas should be higher than 20....
zergeR
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Tue May 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Moving up? Obviously the Yankees.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue May 17, 2005 5:28 pm

Interesting...I'd probably expect the Yankees, Rangers, Cubs, Mariners and Padres to move up, and I'd expect the Diamondbacks, Dodgers, White Sox, Pirates and Orioles to move down. I'll give a bit of my reasoning, for those who are interested:

The Yankees and Rangers have enough hitting - and solid relievers - to make up for questionable starting pitchers.

The Cubs just have too much talent to be quite that low, and I think when Borowski and Wood return, it may help to settle them down a bit.

The Mariners' pitching may be questionable, but I think their hitting is too good for them to remain that low.

The Padres are just an all-around good team, with some great young pitchers, an excellent bullpen, and a lineup that, while not stellar, is deeper than most people realize and is strong enough to win plenty of games with the help of solid pitching. The only question (in my mind) is the depth of their starting rotation, but when Woody Williams returns, that won't be quite as troublesome.

The Diamondbacks have a solid bullpen, when everyone's healthy, a couple of good hitters (Glaus and Green), and a couple of good pitchers (Vazquez and Webb). After that, I just don't think the D-Backs have a strong enough team to really be that competitive. A lot depends on how their #3-5 starters (Ortiz, Estes, Halsey) perform.

I like the Dodgers' starting pitching, since it has four high-quality starters, even if it lacks a true ace. However, their bullpen no longer has the depth it once possessed, and their lineup will look awfully weak once Milton Bradley and Jeff Kent start to cool down.

The Pirates, in my mind, are a team that is well below average (I apologize to any Pirates fans out there who I'm offending...). There are just plenty of teams ranked below them right now - namely, the Mets, Tigers, Rangers, Cubs, Indians, Mariners, and Giants - who I think are just better teams.

Finally, I think most people would agree that the White Sox and Orioles are due for a decline. Both teams have solid hitting and bullpens - the Orioles' lineup is among the best in the league. However, I think their starting pitchers will come down to earth a bit.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 17, 2005 5:34 pm

Cardinals should be #1.

And D-Backs #7? Even I'm willing to admit that's being awfully generous... :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 17, 2005 6:00 pm

Padres swept Marlins, took 3 of 4 from Stl. in Busch, and have won 14 of their last 17. They have to be the #1 NL team at this point.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers