Rumors: Kerry Wood to be a closer??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumors: Kerry Wood to be a closer???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rumors: Kerry Wood to be a closer???

Postby AT » Tue May 17, 2005 3:47 pm

I got some report in my email from rotowire talking about Kerry Wood moving to the pen after he comes back from shoulder rest and rehab and I kind of laughed it off. Then while reading some article on Yahoo I saw that Romig (one of their better guys) mentioned it too so I looked into the Tribune and the rumor has a little giddy-up. Personally, as a Wood owner (I drafted him sooo late since he dropped like a leaf) I would be thrilled if he closed for Chicago. I think he would be lights out as a 1 or 2 inning closer and I wouldn't have to deal with his inconsistencies as a starter. Besides, I would probably feel pretty confident in him as a closer and I think his trade value would increase 10-fold in that role.

I know it got brought up in spring training to him and he was pretty pissed about them even bringing it up...

Anyone else hear about this? Opinions? Think it will happen?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Tue May 17, 2005 3:59 pm

i wouldn't be surprised, but it would be very temporary. just some MR to get him warmed up.
Last edited by RugbyD on Tue May 17, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Tue May 17, 2005 4:01 pm

I've not heard anybody from the Cubs mention it and until I do, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Tue May 17, 2005 4:03 pm

May 16 The Chicago Tribune reports Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild downplayed rumors SP Kerry Wood (shoulder) would be moved to the bullpen when he returns from his shoulder injury. "If you're going to move him you're going to do it the rest of the year. That would be a major decision. First we have to get him healthy to talk about that," Rothschild said.

Doesn't look like a denial to me and he sounds clear that if it happens it would be for the remainder of the year, rather than temporary. Anyone else seen anything else on this?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue May 17, 2005 4:22 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
May 16 The Chicago Tribune reports Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild downplayed rumors SP Kerry Wood (shoulder) would be moved to the bullpen when he returns from his shoulder injury. "If you're going to move him you're going to do it the rest of the year. That would be a major decision. First we have to get him healthy to talk about that," Rothschild said.

Doesn't look like a denial to me and he sounds clear that if it happens it would be for the remainder of the year, rather than temporary. Anyone else seen anything else on this?

Reading into anything the Cubs brass says about their team is pointless. You have no idea how happy I am that I don't own a single Cub in my money league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby gws226 » Tue May 17, 2005 4:25 pm

Interesting.........
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue May 17, 2005 4:33 pm

is there more evidence to support this?
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bmcginni » Tue May 17, 2005 4:39 pm

Apparently Wood is resistant to the idea of taking on the closer role. Additionally, w/ the Cubs rotation in the shambles that it finds itself in, I wouldn't look for Wood to close anytime soon. Zambrano has, cough, "tennis elbow," cough, Dempster is shite, and Prior is a question mark. If Wood is permanently out of the rotation, that likely gives you BOTH Dempster & Rusch as starters-not exactly a scary lineup. Will Ohman? Angel Guzman? Sergio Mitre? Let's hope not.
"Wade Boggs once drank 62 beers on a cross-country flight."
bmcginni
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 17, 2005 5:06 pm

from what i have heard in chicago, they still think a guy like wood is much more valuable as a starter so they arent really giving the closer thing any serious thought at this point. furthermore, they arent really sure that pitching in relief is any less stressful (would result in fewer injuries). if in a few years he is still troubled by injury issues they will consider closer as an option, but for 2005 i would seriously doubt it happens. of course predicting what the cubs will do isnt an easy task. my personal opinion is they would be crazy to do it. if they dont think he can make it as a starter then let him get healthy for a month and trade him to some team desperate for pitching (texas maybe?). they would likely get more value out of him doing it that way.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Jury » Tue May 17, 2005 5:18 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:from what i have heard in chicago, they still think a guy like wood is much more valuable as a starter so they arent really giving the closer thing any serious thought at this point. furthermore, they arent really sure that pitching in relief is any less stressful (would result in fewer injuries). if in a few years he is still troubled by injury issues they will consider closer as an option, but for 2005 i would seriously doubt it happens. of course predicting what the cubs will do isnt an easy task. my personal opinion is they would be crazy to do it. if they dont think he can make it as a starter then let him get healthy for a month and trade him to some team desperate for pitching (texas maybe?). they would likely get more value out of him doing it that way.

As do I, and I'm sure a lot of baseball people and fantasy people are in agreement. He's a bonafide Major league starter who competes for the league lead is strikeouts every year. A solid starting option who can dominate a game.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers