Downloads/Tutorials/Advice/FAQ's: NOW WITH VIDEO!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

Downloads/Tutorials/Advice/FAQ's: NOW WITH VIDEO!!

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Downloads/Tutorials/Advice/FAQ's: NOW WITH VIDEO!!

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 17, 2005 3:42 pm

I recently have added some links to some other home made tutorial. They seem to be really well detailed. Anyways there is a plethora of information here. Go through and enjoy!

Feel free to post your own advice/questions/downloads or anything you find helpful! Enjoy

Another New Tutorial!:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=218721

NEW VIDEO TUTORIALS!!:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=178006

FAQ's:

Q: How do I make an avatar or sig fall within the memory size limit?
A: Open your picture using a photo editing program; This includes but is not limited to:

Photoshop

The Gimp

Irfan Viewer

Take your picture and open it with one of these programs. The Gimp and Photoshop let you create and resize while Irfan Viewer is only a viewer but is good if you just want to quickly resize images.

After it is open go ahead and do a File > Save As

The program should now let you choose the quality. It will probably say save between 0-100% quality usually on a sliding tool. The Gimp allows you to also check the file size as you raise and lower image quality.

See below for a screen shot from The Gimp. Notice above the Sig it says 400 x 100. Also, notice that due to this size I have to save the file at 70% quality (not good) in order to get it below 12.0 KB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How do I make a sig?
A: If you want to do it yourself then download a photoediting program.

Photoshop is not free.

The Gimp is free.

Both are extremely powerful. I won't go into total detail right now but I will post some Tutorials later. I use The Gimp because I'm cheap and poor!

Basically your sig has to be 12kb and below and 468H x 100W.

One thing to realize is that a 468 x 100 sig takes up more memory therefore I like to make sigs about 300 x 100 to make that 12kb picture look clearer then it would at 468 x 100.

You can use layering, coloring, and any other number of effects to make your sig look rocking.

Or if you don't want to make a sig you can request one from anyone here in the forums. We like making them!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How do I make an Avatar.
A: Basically Av's are the little pictures in the left hand corner right under your "Username" or "Handle". You make them the same as you make sigs..Except they are much smaller.

Under 6 kb's total and 80h x 80w. An easy way to make one is to download Irfan Viewer which is free. Then take your favorite picture and just simply do a Scale Image as seen below using IRFAN VIEWER...Different programs have different options but its usually called Scale or Resize.

Next set it to 80 x 80 pixels and make sure that it lets you change the height and width seperately..Notice the perserve aspect ratio check box...This means if you change a 120h x 60w image to 60h it will automatically make it a 30w. Don't check this usually. Sometimes this will be symbolized by a chain, for locked aspect, or a broken chain to signify that you may change it however you like it. Check below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How do I get my image from my computer to the Forum?
A: For an Av you upload it through your profile. For a sig you need to host it. I use http://photobucket.com its free and there is lots of space! Use it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now some links to some good tutorials! But of course using GOOGLE and typing in Tutorials is a good way to go!

For the GIMP:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials

http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts/

http://gimp-savvy.com/

For PHOTOSHOP: Thanks to Joshyboy for these

http://www.good-tutorials.com
http://www.photoshopcafe.com

Brushes (and some more tutorials)...
http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/ ... psbrushes/
http://www.silent-sceptiks.com/conscell/
http://www.greycobra.com/index.php
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FONTS: Making text is fun and crucial to a sweet sig, but finding the cool font's can be tricky. Simply download the font's into your windows font's directory, which is somewhere I don't remember. Or in the case of The Gimp just download them to the Gimp Font's directory which is under Documents and Settings > (username) > .gimp 2.2 or something like that. If someone could tell me the font's directory location that would be cool too!

Leal told me about this one and so this is what I use cause they are free and because there are lots of them!

http://www.acidfonts.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOADS
A bit repetitive since I have them above but here ya go again.

Photoshop

The Gimp

Irfan Viewer

------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Really Quick Sig Tutorial:

Ok here ya go. We are going to make a sig very quickly and easily. I'm not taking my time so please don't tell me how bad it stinks :)
I'm using the GIMP and I assume that others in the future will post how to use photoshop and what not.

This is the Gimp:

Anyways Lets make a sig!

Step#1
Open a new file: Make it 300 x 100 and make it have a white background to start. This will be our main background. Notice you can also make it transparent or foreground or background color. Exciting!

Step#2
Make a background: You can cut and paste other pictures onto this or just color it and add effects. I'm going to color it and add effects. Notice the pretty colors and selection of square brush. Looks ugly oh well.

Step#3
Add effects to the pretty colors: This way I can hold onto some of my man hood. Under filters there are lots and lots of cool FX's. Play with them learn them. They can make stuff stand out, Lights flare, etc. I choose for this to do an IWARP under distort. But if you wanted to blur or something you can do that through the blur feature as seen below. I also do some bump mapping and lighting that im not showing.

Step#4
I use the Iwarp and swirl up the colors manually. Ok I guess we are doing some sort of 60's backdrop.

Step#5
Download dirty Hippy from google and cut him and paste him into our hippy backdrop. Anchor him down good we don't want him getting the munchies and running away.

Step#6
Create text in other "New" file. Make this file transparent and copy and paste the text into the background/hippy layer.

The Finished Product
Ta Da! Hippy Sig Hurray! Maybee AA would like it j/k! Go to Image > Flatten image or else it won't save as a JPEG..Now you can resize it like I showed above and post it up here. Simple and easy!

Any questions?
Last edited by acsguitar on Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 20 times in total.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue May 17, 2005 3:49 pm

Good idea. I assume you'll add more to it.

And Photoshop is free in some cases ;-) Got CS 2 myself :-°
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby catch22 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Sweet thats one of my sigs in a tutorial. I feel special. Great post.
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Tue May 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Here is Saving In Photoshop....
File/Save For Web will bring up this popup. Set it to JPEG, and adjust the quality bar to get the desired file size (encircled in the bottom left).

blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Resizing in Photoshop...
Image/Image Size
This little popup will come up. Here you can alter the height and width of the image. Make sure you have the Constrain Proportions box checked if you want no distorting or stretching. Simply change height or width to 80 and the other will change to keep it proportionate for an avatar. For a sig, I just change the height to 100 and it changes the width to proportion. Make sure it's measuring in pixels though.

blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Not that I know a damned thing about these topics but I have noticed that when I try to fit a pic into the avatar 6k limits I have to save it as a .gif file (whatever the heck that is). When I save it as a .jpg file, it's always too big. I have to make .jpg files very small in order to fit, but .gif files can be bigger. Go figure.

Oh, and good post acs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 17, 2005 6:48 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Not that I know a damned thing about these topics but I have noticed that when I try to fit a pic into the avatar 6k limits I have to save it as a .gif file (whatever the heck that is). When I save it as a .jpg file, it's always too big. I have to make .jpg files very small in order to fit, but .gif files can be bigger. Go figure.

Oh, and good post acs.

Thats odd cuz usually JPEGS are smaller then GIF's are...hmmm...something strange is amuk! Give me an image and iLl try to fit it.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 17, 2005 7:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Not that I know a damned thing about these topics but I have noticed that when I try to fit a pic into the avatar 6k limits I have to save it as a .gif file (whatever the heck that is). When I save it as a .jpg file, it's always too big. I have to make .jpg files very small in order to fit, but .gif files can be bigger. Go figure.

Oh, and good post acs.

Thats odd cuz usually JPEGS are smaller then GIF's are...hmmm...something strange is amuk! Give me an image and iLl try to fit it.

My current av will not work at this size as a .jpg file and I needed to make it a .gif to fit.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 17, 2005 8:11 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Oh, and good post acs.

My current av will not work at this size as a .jpg file and I needed to make it a .gif to fit.

Post the picture so i can give it a try
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 18, 2005 9:53 am

This:

will fit as a .gif file but it is too big if I try it as a .jpg file.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Next

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests