Nick Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nick Johnson

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 17, 2005 3:24 pm

here's what fanball (via yahoo) has to say:

May 17 Nationals first baseman Nick Johnson went 1-for-4 with two runs and a RBI on Monday night in a 5-2 win over the Brewers. He is hitting .321 with five home runs and 22 RBI.

Views: Johnson's average will help plenty of fantasy teams, but his lack of production in other areas makes him a borderline starter in NL-only leagues.

yeah, so the average is good for those teams with BAs below .320, but those 5 homers, 20 runs, 22 rbi and 2 SB are really gonna hurt you elsewhere. thanks, yahoo. ;-7

seriously, this guy has been tearing things up (i think he doesn't have a hit in like 4 games this year or something), and until he cools off, there's no reason he should be on waivers in any but the smallest of leagues. i'm pretty sure this is the player the yankees always thought he would become. i mean, his OPS is near .950 for crying out loud! does anyone else think he can keep this up for the year? i certainly do. perhaps not at these levels, but .300/90/90/10 isn't out of the question, and that's roster-worthy where i come from. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomkatt » Tue May 17, 2005 3:31 pm

I've been eyeing up Johnson. Looks like a good utility candidate for my team. I think if he stays healthy he should have some nice numbers by season's end.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 17, 2005 3:48 pm

As much as I like and admire the guy, Bagwell going down was a blessing for some owners who could safely drop him an pick up a ww gem like Tino, LaRoche or Johnson.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby great gretzky » Tue May 17, 2005 4:03 pm

i love him. jsut kidding

he is actually causing me a problem indirectly.

I have 4OF's and a Util. No problem

Except I have for those 5 spots: beltran, damon, a. jones, c. patterson, brady clark, nick johnson and sosa on the DL.

all are worth of playing really.

unfortunatly, nick has a rap. and that same rap is the reason you can't trade him Or trade someone else and depend on him.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby daullaz » Tue May 17, 2005 4:34 pm

Well, I don't know about you but with Thome going down and Howard (whom I happened to have in a dynasty league) struggling early, I picked up Johnson and he has been a godsend so far. All it took was Craig Wilson's injury for me to force the move. Glad I did. Go Nick!
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby kcs261 » Tue May 17, 2005 4:43 pm

Nick "The Stick"! Man, I love this guy right now!
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Q » Tue May 17, 2005 4:43 pm

I picked him up in my very deep league to start at CI that also counts OPS. If he stays healthy he is a good player.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Box » Tue May 17, 2005 4:53 pm

I'm not planning on him being a long term option for my Util spot, but I'll take what he's giving me right now. ;-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Tue May 17, 2005 5:22 pm

I'm another one of those "Nick Johnson is saving me while Thome is down" guys. Another great WW plug-in was Lyle Overbay. These two guys have been great this year to stick in as back-up 1B or Util guys. The great part about Johnson is this might not be a stretch of his abilities, he may hit like this for the year. With that in mind, I'm looking forward to Thome coming back and hitting well.. pickining up Johnson now should be great for any team, if nothing else but to trade him later .
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby thedukeorsino » Tue May 17, 2005 7:50 pm

i saw that on yahoo and laughed, especially because the last little news flag on him from rotowire praised his value for OBP and walks.

The guy is a really disciplined hitter. I've seen him bat a few times in person, and he just doesn't swing at a bad pitches. He's not just up there taking either, as evidenced by having only 4 games this year with no hits.

More importantly, he is disciplined what he tries to do when he hits. If he's the first AB of an early inning, he will be trying to get on by hitting the ball hard on the ground- he also walks a bunch. If it's late in the game and he's up with no one on, he's swinging for the fences.

Most importantly, though, are his ABs with runners on. He is trying to put that ball in the gaps everytime there's a runner in scoring position. And he does it! His average with runners in scoring postion is .433... yes, that's .433!

Let's compare that with the top ten current RBI leaders:

BA with RISP

Brian Roberts: .389
Derek Lee: .381
Albert Pujols: .376
Richie Sexson: .314
Miguel Tejada: .370
Garret Anderson: .357
Manny Ramirez: .297
Alex Rodriquez: .276
Hideki Matsui: .267
Troy Glaus: .196

And he shares his .428 OBP with the like of red-hot Barmes and Derrek Lee.

Now, you can argue that he has only has such a high BA in the RISP category because he's on the Nats, and they don't have such as great team OBP, but look at a guys like Glaus and Sexson. It's not like their team has been getting on for them all that often this season either.

Frankly, the only reason why he's not going to get you all that many HRs is not because he's a weak hitter, he simply hits depending on the situation.
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers