Top secret ESPN.com Insider fantasy stuff- Is it worth it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top secret ESPN.com Insider fantasy stuff- Is it worth it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top secret ESPN.com Insider fantasy stuff- Is it worth it?

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 17, 2005 1:48 pm

I've been checking out ESPN.com's fantasy baseball page for a while now but I'm far too broke to sign up for their actual services. Therefore I can only read the teasers, but they sound like good info I'd like to know about. Anybody a paying member? Is it worth the $.20 a day (trial period)? Some of these teasers sound pretty informational-

Waiver Wire Work: Drop Hawkins, add Young (who is this Young person? :-? )

Closer Report: Urbina, Dempster, Giants

Cockcroft: Analyzing early fantasy studs

Sounds like stuff you'd like to read too, huh? I'll bet. Any subscribers out there that can tell me if it's worth it?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue May 17, 2005 2:08 pm

Its Chris Young SP Texas Rangers

And no it is not worth it.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MaybeNextYear » Tue May 17, 2005 2:08 pm

i have insider for some of their non-fantasy content.. i stopped reading their fantasy content this year when I realized it was just so bad. Karabell is decent but the other guys are pretty much worthless. What's the use of reading their weekly closer report when in most leagues you only have about 4 hours from the time the new closer is announced to go pick him up? You can find better info on these boards..
MaybeNextYear
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Top secret ESPN.com Insider fantasy stuff- Is it worth i

Postby Yoda » Tue May 17, 2005 2:10 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:I've been checking out ESPN.com's fantasy baseball page for a while now but I'm far too broke to sign up for their actual services. Therefore I can only read the teasers, but they sound like good info I'd like to know about. Anybody a paying member? Is it worth the $.20 a day (trial period)? Some of these teasers sound pretty informational-

Waiver Wire Work: Drop Hawkins, add Young (who is this Young person? :-? )

Closer Report: Urbina, Dempster, Giants

Cockcroft: Analyzing early fantasy studs

Sounds like stuff you'd like to read too, huh? I'll bet. Any subscribers out there that can tell me if it's worth it?

I tried it before the season and didn't find anything particularly good to fork out money for. A lot of people at the cafe could probably write for them.

The only website I found to be worth paying for is Baseball America.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 17, 2005 2:16 pm

Honestly, I read it because I can, but it isn't the most useful, in my opinion.

The "Young" is Chris Young.

I honestly don't respect the opinion of Cockcroft as he still seems as clueless as he did last year when he worked for CBS. The guy who gives the waiver add/drop stuff looks like he's 12 - and basically it amounts to who is hot (and not owned in many leagues) or not (and is owned in a bunch).

I do like Karabell and his blog, but Out of the Box is now written by Cockcroft, so its usefulness has diminished. The closer report is simply a ranking of closers based on effectiveness - although it does give the likely back-up closer, which can be useful in a rush. But, most people who follow fantasy already know the names.

Anyway, I joined Insider for rumors on trades, NBA draft info, college football analysis and help with fantasy football (just started playing last year), so for that, I really like it. However, for fantasy baseball info, I don't find it very useful.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 17, 2005 2:40 pm

i did a free trial about a year ago. the articles werent bad but they were never as interesting as the titles suggested. as far as the fantasy info, it wasnt anything better than the free stuff like here, rotoworld, etc. and since funston was still there at that time it was likely worse.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 17, 2005 2:44 pm

only things i would find it useful for (read: found it useful for last year when it was free) is the player rater and the most added/dropped. these two give you an idea of how the "fantasy world" views some players. sometimes the info is useful for making trade deals and whatnot, and the player rater really is a good way to see how different players have been doing over a given period of time.

other than that, comperable and often times better analysis is available here at the cafe.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby phunkadelic » Tue May 17, 2005 2:58 pm

I get on occassionally with the password of a friend of a friend of a friend (who gave out his password to hundreds of people).

It's not worth it. Every now and then they'll have a couple rumors about trades I hadn't heard about, but that's all the useful info i get from it.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Tue May 17, 2005 2:59 pm

George_Foreman wrote:only things i would find it useful for (read: found it useful for last year when it was free) is the player rater and the most added/dropped. these two give you an idea of how the "fantasy world" views some players. sometimes the info is useful for making trade deals and whatnot, and the player rater really is a good way to see how different players have been doing over a given period of time.

other than that, comperable and often times better analysis is available here at the cafe.

I'm still getting Added/Dropped for free, maybe it's just cause I have an ESPN fantasy account, but I'm not paying for the top-secret stuff and still get it.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue May 17, 2005 2:59 pm

No!
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers