Fuentes- Colorado closer; anyone know him - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fuentes- Colorado closer; anyone know him

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fuentes- Colorado closer; anyone know him

Postby gabenterprises » Tue May 17, 2005 11:50 am

I'll take a colorado closer if they're decent; anyone know if Fuentes is a decent pitcher?
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 17, 2005 11:59 am

I know he struggled big time in the role last year. I also know their team is bad, plus he pitches in Coors Field. If you are desperate for saves, take a flier on him, but I wouldnt expect decent numbers in any category.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 17, 2005 12:02 pm

Every single player in the rockies bullpen is terrible...Does that answer your question
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 17, 2005 12:06 pm

I think "decent Rockies pitcher" is an oxymoron. But, he might just be.

He's a lefty who's got pretty good stuff (career 9.8 K per 9 IP). Had a good 2003 in Colorado, but struggled a little last year, even though his ratios were about the same. Can go through bouts of wildness (walks about 4 per 9 IP). And, for a Rockies pitcher, does a solid job of keeping the ball in the park. He saved 4 of 6 in 2003.

As for their current options, he looks to be the best. They don't get many save opps as it is, so I don't know how valuable he can be. But, he seems to have the skills to close. Whether he has the mental make-up, I don't know.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue May 17, 2005 12:08 pm

jblank wrote:I know he struggled big time in the role last year. I also know their team is bad, plus he pitches in Coors Field. If you are desperate for saves, take a flier on him, but I wouldnt expect decent numbers in any category.

He had one save opportunity all year last year. Chacon was the closer. He may not be able to handle the job, but I don't know that it has been established one way or the other. But, as others have and will say, he is a Rockies pitcher and he's potentially a killer to ERA and WHIP regardless of what he's done in the past.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby jayman » Tue May 17, 2005 12:17 pm

No matter what, a pitcher in COL will eventually get spanked so silly you'll need tons of scoreless innings pitched to fix the mess. If you are so desparte for saves that you need a COL closer you should just stay away (unless you have Clemens, Dontrelle, Burnett and Peavy as your starters). The price you will pay (losing points in ERA and WHIP to move up 1 or 2 points in saves is not worth it).
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jblank » Tue May 17, 2005 12:22 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
jblank wrote:I know he struggled big time in the role last year. I also know their team is bad, plus he pitches in Coors Field. If you are desperate for saves, take a flier on him, but I wouldnt expect decent numbers in any category.

He had one save opportunity all year last year. Chacon was the closer. He may not be able to handle the job, but I don't know that it has been established one way or the other. But, as others have and will say, he is a Rockies pitcher and he's potentially a killer to ERA and WHIP regardless of what he's done in the past.

My mistake, I meant in 2003. Anyway, I wouldnt take the gamble on him, but if others disagree, thats fine. Anyway, here is what ROTOWIRE says about him:

Fuentes will close for the Rockies while Chin-Hui Tsao is on the DL, the Associated Press reports. Don't fall all over yourself trying to bid on Fuentes. Not only do the Rockies usually provide few save opportunities, but they are at Coors Field through the middle of next week, and Fuentes struggled closing out games the last time Tsao was hurt.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby skibum » Tue May 17, 2005 12:30 pm

Stay far, far away. The only way I can see taking Fuentes is if you are so far ahead, or behind, in ERA and WHIP that you don't care, and you desperately needs SV's. Then, maybe. However, closers don't get many opps with the Rockies, their set-up men are horrible, and Fuentes is streaky at best. It is just simply not worth the risk.
skibum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby water boy » Tue May 17, 2005 12:42 pm

i would never mess with a Rockie pitcher :-t :~(
water boy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stumpak » Tue May 17, 2005 1:27 pm

Do the math: if Fuentes pitches 40 innings for the rest of the year with a 5.00 ERA and a 1.40 WHIP, that has hardly any impact on your ratios whatsoever assuming 1000-1500 innings pitches. And any points you lose there would probably be offset by points gained by the higher than average K rate he will have over those 40 innings (i.e., say he gets 40Ks vs. the 20-25 that would provided by the low tier SP you would probably otherwise use the innings on. And oh yeah, then there are the 20+ saves he will get you if he keeps his job. In a typical roto league, this can easily get you 5 points if you are around the middle of the pack in saves.

The bottom line is that it is well worth to take a gamble on a questionable closer who has a full time job even if you think he will get blown up periodically and end the season with crummy ratios, expecially if he has a good K rate.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers