YAHOO - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

YAHOO

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

YAHOO

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 17, 2005 7:54 am

Yahoo wrote:May 17 Nationals first baseman Nick Johnson went 1-for-4 with two runs and a RBI on Monday night in a 5-2 win over the Brewers. He is hitting .321 with five home runs and 22 RBI.

Views: Johnson's average will help plenty of fantasy teams, but his lack of production in other areas makes him a borderline starter in NL-only leagues.
----------------------------------------------------------------
May 16 Rangers' outfielder Kevin Mench went 1-for-4 with a solo homer against the Twins Sunday. It was his fourth home run.

Views: Mench's numbers won't stop you in your tracks and make you say "wow," but they are serviceable in most leagues. He's hitting .288 with four homers, 13 RBI, and 17 runs scored.

This is what Yahoo wrote about these 2 players. Mind you that at the time that these were written, Johnson was either equal to or better than Mench in every 5X5 cat out there. I understand the variables here but I just wanted to point out that you shouldn't listen to Yahoo much at all in instances such as this. Either way, I don't see any logic in saying that Johnson is only possibly good in NL-onloy leagues while Mench is good for mixed leagues. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Tue May 17, 2005 8:15 am

Further proof that there is more fantasy knowledge in the cafe than ESPN, Yahoo and Fanball combined.

Johnson is currently the 9th ranked 1B in MLB.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/playerrankings/regularseason/1B
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jayman » Tue May 17, 2005 9:34 am

Both these blurbs were written by Fanball.com, not Yahoo.
Maybe the Yahoo guys are just as preplexed as us. 8-o
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 17, 2005 2:40 pm

Yeah, good find. I try to ignore anything that Yahoo gets from Fanball, though occasionally they can be helpful.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby beltrans_boy » Tue May 17, 2005 3:01 pm

I just hate it when they badmouth good players and they get in to way of a trade that I want to make. It pisses me off when they put subjective things like this. Yahoo needs to get rid of Fanball's "insight" cause 99% of the time, it's just ridiculous or entirely irrelevant to what's going on in my league.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Re: YAHOO

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue May 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Yahoo wrote: but his lack of production in other areas makes him a borderline starter in NL-only leagues.

;-)

i bet that line got a bunch of johnson trades turned down in yahoo publics....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lbbaseball14 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:28 pm

speaking of johnson i picked him up a week ago ... what kind of numbers should i expect if hes healthy 20 hr 80 rbi 300 avg?
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Irish » Tue May 17, 2005 5:00 pm

A new Yahoo blurb on Mench:

May 17 Rangers' outfielder Kevin Mench hit a homer in the first inning and another in the ninth against the White Sox Monday. "He started it and he finished it," manager Buck Showalter told the Associated Press. "When he collides with the ball, it jumps. He's a strong young man."
Views: Mench is 6-for-22 over the last six games, including five hits for extra-bases. This year he's hitting .294 with six homers and 15 RBI. It's worth checking the free agent pool in mixed leagues, because there's an outside chance Mench is still available.

Outside chance because Yahoo called him serviceable a week ago and a few weeks before that they said he wasn't even worth picking up. I know Yahoo takes their blurbs from other places, but some of the comments are straight retarded. :-t
[/quote]
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Punisher » Tue May 17, 2005 7:10 pm

Ya I think one of the 10 commandments of fantasy baseball says that Yahoo is only for hosting leagues, not information, help, etc.
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue May 17, 2005 10:24 pm

Part of it is that in a 12 team league, you're only looking at 12 1B while looking at 36 OF's.

Still a dumb writeup, but that's part of what they were looking at while writing it. I have no idea what else they were looking at. :-S
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers