Jose Reyes

Postby bunter » Mon May 16, 2005 10:42 pm

Is it me or this guy is overrated...
bunter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 17, 2005 9:19 am

Depends on where you rate him. He has the ability to steal a ton of bases but the Mets aren't running. It doesn't help that he has trouble getting on base and staying healthy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby bunter » Tue May 17, 2005 9:56 am

I don't think that the health or the lack of running game is the problem.

The guy is just not getting on base. I was high on him at the start of the season. He's chassing the ball too much. No walks... for a 1st batter, it's a killer.
bunter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 17, 2005 10:00 am

bunter wrote:I don't think that the health or the lack of running game is the problem.

The guy is just not getting on base. I was high on him at the start of the season. He's chassing the ball too much. No walks... for a 1st batter, it's a killer.
In real baseball yes but in fantasy his value is all about his SB.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby bunter » Tue May 17, 2005 1:21 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
bunter wrote:I don't think that the health or the lack of running game is the problem.

In real baseball yes but in fantasy his value is all about his SB.

So why Reyes is ranked one of the top 2B and a future superstar if his only asset is his SBs.

Doesn't make sense to me...
bunter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby strong » Tue May 17, 2005 5:32 pm

Reyes has a ton of skills, but he's just a 21-year-old kid playing in the big apple. His career so far has been hampered by nagging injuries and the gobs of media pressure that came with his progress through the Mets farm system. (See: Paul Wilson, Dizzy Izzy Isringhausen, and Pulsipher.) He's lightning quick in the field and has good bat speed. His eye at the plate is suspect and he swings at a lot of pitches, which leads to his low walk total. Although, he finally seems to be drawing walks occassionally now. But, also note that his K rate is quite a bit higher than it was last year...
People will continue to be high on him fantasy-wise because his talent ceiling is so high. But, until he learns to draw some walks and/or Willie starts running him more, he will underperform for fantasy owners.
My opinion: Wait until he gets through the majority of a season without going on the DL for an extended amount of time and expect him to go bananas the following season.
This year? Best to stay away or expect him to be an average fantasy SS.
So, yes, he's definitely over-valued in fantasy leagues at the moment. But in real baseball, there's a reason the Mets are so high on him and many other teams have tried to trade for him over the past few years.
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates