Star Wars Episode III - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Star Wars Episode III

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WittyC » Fri May 20, 2005 6:00 am

demoflauchy wrote:Just got back from seeing it over lunch.

The film connected a lot of dots between ep 3 and ep 4 (A New Hope), for that i was grateful.

The acting/dialogue was dull for the most part, but had flashes of brilliance (Anakin and Palpetine when Anakin realizes that Palp is the Sith, Vader and Ob1 on the volcanic planet during their fight, and a few others). Each scene with Padme and Anakin was atrocious.

Special effects were good, but almost too much to take in. A bit distracting.

Light Sabre fights are typical....though seeing Grevious with 4 light sabres was pretty awesome.

I enjoyed all the small parts of how Lucas bridged the gap between this and the next episode. Tie fighters start to look the way they look in 4/5/6, the clones look more like they do in 4/5/6, the star destroyers begin taking form.

I'll likely see it again before it's done in the theatres.

Also noticed the X-Wings were developing in this one... with 6 wings! They were like... *-Wings or something.

I thought it was a good movie... better than the last two. But expanding on what you said about the special effects...

I think one of the reasons the first three (or last three... whatever, the older ones) were so great is that the special effects weren't necessary to hold up the movie. They have stood the test of time, due in part, to the fact that the effects weren't terribly overdone and still look pretty good today in their original format.

My problem with these CGI-loaded films is that 10 years from now we're going to look back and these movies and laugh at how bad the graphics and animations look. I mean, go back and watch "state-of-the-art" special effects from 10 years ago and you'll see what I mean.

These films are just chalked full of CGI, and I'm not so sure that they will stand the test of time nearly as well as the first three.

Also, Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is amazing throughout all three of these films and doesn't get nearly enough credit. It's amazing how dead-on his imitation is of the original. Plus Obi-Wan goes back to being bad-ass in this one just as he was in the first.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Fri May 20, 2005 6:47 am

I thought the flick was 100% better than the first two. As others have stated in the past, this film is the one everyone REALLY wanted to see. It has all the good parts we were waiting for. Episode 1 & 2 just kind of had to set up the story. IMO the three prequels could have just as easily been condensed into two films. Except Lucas had prenumbered the chapters for he painted himself into the corner of HAVING to do 3 episodes.....

Things I liked:

Opening space battle
the lightsaber battles
Bail Organa (Jimmy Smits)
Ian McDiarmid rules hard as the Emperor....though some of his dialogue was weak. He did a great job with what he was given.
The design "rolling back" to include more of the early SW vehicles, sets, etc.
The scene with Anakin and the younglings.....less is more here and it worked.
The visuals of the final Obi Wan/Anakin scene. Awesome.
Jar Jars silence.

Things I didn't like:

Hayden Christensen - just too wooden
Natalie Portman - I know for a fact she's better than that.
The dialogue between HC and NP....I just have not been sold on these two characters really being in love.
Chewbacca - wasted, and he didn't really need to be in there anyway.
Anakins turn to the Dark Side is waaay to quick and easy. I wanted to see more conflict.
Vaders outcry for Padme at the end....friggin LAME....
Obi Wan just drops off some kid with a 10 second visit to Owen and Berus farm??? Ummm.....I kinda wanted to see him explain to Owen and Beru who this kid is, why he is special, why Vader must never find him, who Vader really is, etc.....they know all this stuff in Ep. 4, but Obi Wan doesn't tell them....
The dialogue of the final Obi Wan/Anakin scene....wasted one of the most important scenes of the trilogy.

All in all, I rank this one fourth:

1. Empire Stikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of The Jedi
4. Revenge of The Sith
5. Attack of The Clones
6. Phantom Menace

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby eftda » Fri May 20, 2005 2:29 pm

1. Return of The Jedi
2. Empire Stikes Back
3. Revenge of The Sith
4. A New Hope
5. Attack of The Clones
6. Phantom Menace

I never saw Star Wars IV in 77, so I was never a big fan of it.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 20, 2005 2:33 pm

Anyone familiar with the series new this would be the best one.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Yoda » Fri May 20, 2005 3:09 pm

Very good film. I saw it for free (even better) for a 12:30 AM showing two nights ago and I will need to go see it again w/ my wife.

Some cheesy moments you have to expect but overall, all loose ends were tied up. The acting is much better than Episode I, II.

Does anyone else who saw this film think that Episode I, II were completely unnecessary? It almost seems like the first two were made to prolong a story that no one really cared about. Episode III would have been a great standalone prequel.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Yoda wrote:Very good film. I saw it for free (even better) for a 12:30 AM showing two nights ago and I will need to go see it again w/ my wife.

Some cheesy moments you have to expect but overall, all loose ends were tied up. The acting is much better than Episode I, II.

Does anyone else who saw this film think that Episode I, II were completely unnecessary? It almost seems like the first two were made to prolong a story that no one really cared about. Episode III would have been a great standalone prequel.

that is because most of what happened in those films was directly not seen in the original trilogy. I personally liked them, but I admi the acting of Anikan in the second film (first half) was so bad I can almost not watch it.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby logan » Fri May 20, 2005 4:11 pm

im probably in the minority on ep 1 and 2 but i really enjoyed both. course then im also a huge star wars geek (read all the books collect the figures . no dressing up though). i thought they were necesssry on the whole for the simple fact that the relationship between padme and anakin. that was what pushed him to the dark side . not the lust for power or jealousy. it was ultimatly his love for her that made him turn. if mace hadnt threatened what he did he may have never gone over. you had to see his infatuation with her grow from childhood to adulthood to really feel (atleast for me) how pivotal that moment in palpatine's office was..

i dont believe he made the full decision till palpatine lied to him about how padme died. i think that was the ultimate final brick in the wall that made the turn complete. that made him more machine than man as obi was so elegantly put it to luke. before that moment he thought he was doing the correct thing in his twisted perception of the events that lead up to it.
Last edited by logan on Fri May 20, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri May 20, 2005 4:57 pm

logan wrote:im probably in the minority on ep 1 and 2 but i really enjoyed both. course then im also a huge star wars geek (read all the books collect the figures . no dressing up though). i thought they were necesssry on the whole for the simple fact that the relationship between padme and anakin. that was what pushed him to the dark side . not the lust for power or jealousy. it was ultimatly his love for her that made him turn. if mace hadnt threatened what he did he may have never gone over. you had to see his infatuation with her grow from childhood to adulthood to really feel (atleast for me) how pivotal that moment in palpatine's office was..

i dont believe he made the full decision till palpatine lied to him about how padme died. i think that was the ultimate final brick in the wall that made the turn complete. that made him more macine than man as obi was so elegantly put it to luke before that moment he thought he was doing the correct thing in his twisted perception of the events that lead up to it.

You just ruined the movie for me :~(

Next your gonna tell me Vader is Luke's father or something

j.k
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby logan » Fri May 20, 2005 5:00 pm

well i did try to keep specifics of what happened out and just used scenes with names instead. :-D
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Punisher » Fri May 20, 2005 5:15 pm

Looks like I was wrong on my prediction, I thought Jar Jar Binks would propose to Anakin so that would make him go to the dark side
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk