INJURY PLAGUED STAFF... NEED A SLEEPER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

INJURY PLAGUED STAFF... NEED A SLEEPER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

INJURY PLAGUED STAFF... NEED A SLEEPER

Postby BigUnit51 » Sat May 24, 2003 3:56 pm

i have a fantasy team with randy johnson, roy oswalt, and josh beckett out till mid-june... Does anybody have any sleepers who could possibly pick up my staff?? I've been hearing good stuff about Todd Wellemeyer as a possible starter the slight chance of Rich Harden being called up... but i'm in need of a adequate starter.

My Staff:
Foppert, Jesse
Martinez, Pedro
Maddux, Greg
Oswalt, Roy
Beckett, Josh
Johnson, Randy

Possible Waiver Candidates:
Ortiz, Ramon
Lohse, Kyle
Lilly, Ted
Fossum, Casey
Hampton, Mike
BigUnit51
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Sat May 24, 2003 4:50 pm

Lohse, Lilly, Fossum and Hampton are all adequate fantasy starters and are better than waiting around for Harden or Wellemyer to materialize. I would probably take Lilly out of that list, because he plays on a team that should give him plenty of wins and does get a decent number of K's.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigUnit51 » Sat May 24, 2003 5:04 pm

i've had earlier success spot starting lilly against the sub-par excuse of a lineup of the Detroit Tigers... but i've been hesitant to pick him up against any other team... he's already give up 2 runs against the royals today, but it's still early... any feelings on dan wright vs tigers tomorrow? fossum vs the indians??
BigUnit51
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat May 24, 2003 5:26 pm

Look for Horacio Ramirez and John Lackey.
Y`s Guy

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Lt Columbo » Sat May 24, 2003 7:38 pm

You must be in a league of retards in order to that pitching staff. LOL. I am in one of those my self. =) I ended up getting Magglio off of FA =). I would go with Horacio too, cause in Atlanta they have that genius of a pitching coach. I wouldn't get Lackey, he's a scrub. Matt Kinney is good too if no one has him. Tampa Bay has a new SP that has been impressive in his 2 starts, you may want to check him out.
Lt Columbo

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Super GM » Sat May 24, 2003 8:29 pm

Horacio Ramirez is the man you're looking for. He had another sharp outing today vs. the Mets 7.0 IP 4H 2R 2ER 2BB 4K 3.76(overall ERA) He's now 4-2 this season. He's definately worth a spot on your injury plagued roster....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Sat May 24, 2003 9:04 pm

The problem with H. Ramirez is that the Braves always shaft him and skip his start whenever they have a day off because they don't want Maddux, Reynolds, Ortiz or Hampton to get out of their routine. That means he doesn't get nearly as many starts and sometimes goes 10 days without starting.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigUnit51 » Sat May 24, 2003 10:03 pm

about Tamba Bay's pitcher... i'm assuming ur talking about Jeremi Gonzalez who looked real sharp against the angels two nights ago. I believe he k'ed 9 batters... he is also a rookie so i dont how good he is... but did any one hear any scouting reports on this guy?? Is he for real??
BigUnit51
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Sat May 24, 2003 10:20 pm

He isn't a rookie, but it was the first time he pitched in the majors since 1998. He started 23 games for the Cubs in 1997 and 20 games in 1998, and had ERAs of 4.25 and 5.32. So, I wouldn't get too excited about him, and I wouldn't even consider using him until he strings together 2-3 solid starts. Right now, I wouldn't touch any DRays pitchers except maybe Lance Carter.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigUnit51 » Sat May 24, 2003 10:45 pm

great find JDH... i just did the research to confirm it... w/ an iffy track record like that, i'm thinking a lot less of this guy... but who knows... maybe he's put his career together... but thanks for informing me about gonzalez... great advice... any sleeper suggestions??
BigUnit51
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers