Draft Strategy/Results - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy/Results

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Steve-o » Mon May 16, 2005 8:41 pm

This year I am playing in two free head to head leagues where I used the opposite strategy. Both leagues have extensive cats, one being 9x9 and the other being 7x7. In one league I attempted to punt SP, while in the other league I attempted to punt RP.

In the 7x7 12 team league I didn't draft a closer, or even a RP, until round 15 with B. Donnelly. Then I took Mike Gonzalez (17), Scot Linebrink (19), and Joe Borowski (22). My SP staff has been decent, with RJ, Peavy, Moose, and Livan Hernandez anchoring the staff. I felt my hitters were dominant coming out of the draft, but have several slumping guys (Helton, Renteria, Blalock, Carlos Lee, Sexson, Andruw Jones). With those players coming around nicely I am not too worried about it. The crazy thing about this league is that I consistantly win the saves category since I was quick to pick up any emerging RP. My original MR were dropped and replaced by people like Yhency Brazoban, B. Lyon, Turnbow, and even guys like T. Jones. This strategy I felt worked out very well and I was amazed by the number of closers available in a 12 person league. In this league I am 6 of 12.

In the 12 team 9x9 league I focused on getting the elite to semi-elite RP and trying to pick up a couple of high K pitchers who were cheap. I got K-rod (3), Foulke (4), BJ Ryan (8), along with some lesser guys like Chad Cordero and Mike Adams. Also grabbed some top MR in Tom Gordon and Mike Gonzalez. My SP were AJ Burnett and Kelvim Escobar, with a side of Jeff Weaver and John Thomson. In this league I thought my hitting was again steady (Jeter, Beltre, Edmonds, Carlos Lee, Derek Lee, and A. Jones) but if it weren't for Roberts, I would probably lose a bunch of hitting cats. This league is the more competitive of the 2 and I am in 4th place. (Every team but 2 has at least 5 transactions, pretty good for a free yahoo league)

Looking back, even though I am in 6th place in the SP draft, I feel much more confident about that team. A couple of struggling stars can mean all the difference and last week I went 12-2, the week before 9-5. I learned that there are always saves on the waiver wire. Even my RP draft I was able to add B. Myers who helps me compete in Ks. Another lesson is to be quick to the wire early in the season. You don't want to miss the next B. Myers or Turnbow. in general I found that my pitching defeciencies were pretty easy to pick up off the wire. Yet another reason to go hitting heavy in the draft.

I think my problems in all 4 leagues have been my main source for the projections. I used to average a bunch of sources (last year 5, the year beofre that 6) and this year I limited it to only two sources, with a heavy reliance on Ron Shandler's Forecaster. I must say that all of my hitters have underperformed from his, and my, expectations.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 16, 2005 8:47 pm

I changed mine up a tad this year. I went into the draft telling myself I wasn't going to go for a catcher until after the 10th round. I wasn't going to press for the top 3 (I wasn't sold on VMART and Pudge's weight loss concerned me). I usually just go for the best available player, but this year I went position by position and so far it has paid off.

I missed out on Soriano and Loretta(was my 2nd rated 2B and he went sooner than I was willing to grab him). So in the middle of draft I decided to hold off on a 2B and take B. Roberts, because he was one of my sleepers. I didn't think he would be close to what he is, I wanted him for SB and a solid average adn doubles cause we count them.

I grabbed Beltre and ARAM (the one time I chose the best available player) in order to use as trade bait and right now I have offers on the table to get a SP for ARAM.

Not getting a Catcher until the later rounds paid off cause R. Hernandez fell to me and hes probably a top 3 Catcher right now. I also had the choice of Abreu or Beltran with the 6th pick and I took Abreu and am glad that I did.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers