Brandon Webb...sell high or is he a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Webb...sell high or is he a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Webb...sell high or is he a keeper?

Postby bunbury » Mon May 16, 2005 3:46 pm

been expecting him to get back down to earth but he keeps winning. had a decent outing last time out at Coors....im offering him in trades as a sell high but now im thinking that i should hold off and keep him. have not seen him throw this year. any advise?

thanks.
bunbury Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:50 pm

I'm keeping him. Why not? He's got a decent K-rate, he'll win some games with a good offense and decent bullpen. He walks a few, but he's got a decent K/BB ratio which was always his problem in the past. He's never going to be Randy Johnson, but he should be solid in 2005.

Just don't watch him pitch, and you'll be fine. I wouldn't be looking to trade him right now unless you get good value for him.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon May 16, 2005 4:05 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:I'm keeping him. Why not? He's got a decent K-rate, he'll win some games with a good offense and decent bullpen. He walks a few, but he's got a decent K/BB ratio which was always his problem in the past. He's never going to be Randy Johnson, but he should be solid in 2005.

Just don't watch him pitch, and you'll be fine. I wouldn't be looking to trade him right now unless you get good value for him.
;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon May 16, 2005 4:16 pm

man it depends on the other options because Webb just walks too many batters. If he were to cut the walks to about 2.5 he'd definitely be a keeper I think.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 16, 2005 4:33 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:man it depends on the other options because Webb just walks too many batters. If he were to cut the walks to about 2.5 he'd definitely be a keeper I think.

His BB/9 is "only" 2.9

Compare that to Josh Beckett and AJ Burnett who are both at 3.1

Clemens is at 2.8

Patterson (everybody's boy here at the Cafe) is at 3.8

Now, I know these pitchers strike out a lot more guys than Webb, but the BB rate isn't alarmingly high or anything.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 16, 2005 4:40 pm

my staff was horrible. i dropped glavine, oliver perez and david wells. i picked up miller, cabrera and lackey....to go along with thompson and patterson.

i had vlad, sheff, maggs :-t crawford and burnitz in my outfield. i also have biggio and inge who can fill in if necessary. but i play inge at catcher (estrada on the bench) and biggio at 2nd (reyes and castillo on the bench).

i traded crawford for webb and added delucci and crisp to replace crawford's spot, via free-agency.....

and currently webb is my highest point total pitcher. clement is a close second.
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Mon May 16, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 16, 2005 4:45 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:my staff was horrible. i dropped glavine, oliver perez and david wells. i picked up miller, cabrera and lackey....to go along with thompson and patterson.

i had vlad, sheff, maggs :-t crawford and burnitz in my outfield. i traded crawford for webb and added delucci and crisp to replace crawford's spot, via free-agency.....

and currently webb is my highest point total pitcher. clement is a close second.

Wow...Crawford for Webb? That hurts... :-o
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Mon May 16, 2005 4:51 pm

i dunno. i don't really have too much faith in webb. i mean, it's not like he's added a pitch since last year when he was walking everyone and their grandmother, but as long as people keep fishing on his wicked sinker, he should have success. i'd be surprised if he keeps it up at this level, but hey, it's hard to argue with the success he's had this year. i'd consider him somewhat of a risk, but i wouldn't hesitate to add him from waivers.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 16, 2005 5:00 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:my staff was horrible. i dropped glavine, oliver perez and david wells. i picked up miller, cabrera and lackey....to go along with thompson and patterson.

i had vlad, sheff, maggs :-t crawford and burnitz in my outfield. i traded crawford for webb and added delucci and crisp to replace crawford's spot, via free-agency.....

Wow...Crawford for Webb? That hurts... :-o

steals are not as valuable in our league this season (2 points per steal). last season they were a separate category. this season they are not. plus with players like cliff floyd and brady clark on the waiver wire, (and reyes, visquel and castillo, crisp, inge, biggi, vlad and sheff on my roster) it does not hurt either....because all of them swipe....

for the past couple of weeks i have had the highest point totals in the hitting categories in my league....

only a few owners trade in my league. so you have to get what you can get when you can get it....
;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Manfred » Mon May 16, 2005 5:08 pm

George_Foreman wrote:i dunno. i don't really have too much faith in webb. i mean, it's not like he's added a pitch since last year when he was walking everyone and their grandmother, but as long as people keep fishing on his wicked sinker, he should have success. i'd be surprised if he keeps it up at this level, but hey, it's hard to argue with the success he's had this year. i'd consider him somewhat of a risk, but i wouldn't hesitate to add him from waivers.

He hasn't added a pitch, but arizona has added a defense....it makes a huge difference for a sinker ball pitcher. I think his high walk rate last year was a result of arizona's crappy defense coupled with their anemic offense. If a sinker ball pitcher doesn't have a defense that he can trust, he is toast. Always trying to make prefect pitch b/c he is afraid to let them put it in play. Not to mention no margin for error since your team doesn't score any runs.

Different story this year. his walk rate is fine...his sinker is one of the nastiest pitches in baseball. He has a bulldog mentality. I think he continues to get better
Manfred
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers