Keeper XR Points League needs a couple takeover owners... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

Keeper XR Points League needs a couple takeover owners...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper XR Points League needs a couple takeover owners...

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon May 16, 2005 3:05 pm

We now have 2 available rosters in our relatively new keeper points league on Yahoo that need new owners to take over. The league is quite a bit different from the usual -- for one thing, offense uses the Extrapolated Runs formula, instead of traditional ROTO stats -- and you can find out most of the details over here, including some useful tips/hints:

http://htfbaseball.proboards23.com/inde ... oard=rules

And here's a snapshot of the league settings for more details:

http://www.pbase.com/image/43148188.jpg

You have a choice from the 2 available rosters on a first come first serve basis. Here are snapshots of the 2 rosters you can choose from:

DummyTeam03 (Tentatively Taken)
http://www.pbase.com/image/43148195.jpg

BelfastCubs (Taken)
http://www.pbase.com/image/43148196.jpg

Here are snapshots of the top 50 available batters and pitchers as of 5/21/05 (according to Yahoo's O-rank, which is unfortunately not the most useful way to gauge player value, especially given our format):

http://www.pbase.com/image/43149642.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/43149643.jpg

And here's a snapshot of the current standings (as of 5/21/05):

http://www.pbase.com/image/43148189.jpg

If interested, please PM me or post here w/ your email addy.

And please be sure to check out all the details first before committing. We do not want any bad misunderstandings of how the league works, etc. And please do ask questions if something's unclear.

FYI, as of now, there is no add/drop limit, but it's possible that we may institute one some time down the line, but probably not until next year, if at all -- we had actually considered applying one for this year, but decided to hold off. Other rule changes may be considered in the future as we move forward. However, we will not simply make arbitrary changes and will generally not make changes during middle of season. If you have any other questions, please do let me know.

Look forward to hearing from y'all...

Sultans of Squat
Last edited by Sultans of Squat on Mon May 23, 2005 5:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

UR LEAGUE

Postby Mikey26263 » Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm

I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN UR LEAGUE. I am an experienced baseball owner and i love ur point system. I woul prefer the Dummy team or the or the Champ one. Email me at mailto:mikey26263@yahoo.com if u want me. THANKS
Mikey26263
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Hockey

Re: UR LEAGUE

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon May 16, 2005 10:52 pm

Mikey26263 wrote:I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN UR LEAGUE. I am an experienced baseball owner and i love ur point system. I woul prefer the Dummy team or the or the Champ one. Email me at mailto:mikey26263@yahoo.com if u want me. THANKS

Mikey, you got mail! :D

Sultans
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed May 18, 2005 11:24 pm

In case it's not clear, we still have 2 available teams for new owners to take over -- this is after Mikey already took another team last night.

Please refer to the updated post at the top for details.

Thanks.

Sultans
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sultans of Squat » Fri May 20, 2005 2:56 am

BTW, I hope the sizeable array of stats we use do not scare you away from joining. It looks scary at first glance, but if you read the article on the Extrapolated Runs formula ( http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf ... cingXR.htm ) and take a closer look at the points weightings, it'll help you understand that it's actually far better than traditional 5x5 ROTO play if you're interested in something w/ more realistic results that translate to how teams might perform hypothetically in the real world.

There's less reliance on "luck" in this system than traditional 5x5 ROTO play -- and you don't have to worry about absentee or unreasonable owners leaving their lineup in a state that skews the standings for certain stats. And player evaluation is actually not that hard to do as things like AVG, OBP, OPS, SB:CS ratio, ERA, WHIP, K ratios and the like are very useful for evaluation. No need to be worried about getting "lucky" w/ R's, RBI's or even SB's to a good extent, and things like W's, SV's and K's do not become overvalued here as they are in traditional 5x5.

And playing w/ this system will definitely help you deepen your knowledge of baseball from the statistical side of things -- and that's what I (and some others) hope/look for in this. If you're gonna commit to a keeper league, why not go for something more substantive? :D

FWIW, I do wish we could implement a few other things to make it more interesting and realistic, eg. H2H using the points system (but probably no playoffs as Sept's always kinda wierd and messy), maybe player salaries (although I wouldn't want things to be too tight), etc., but Yahoo and other free services don't allow for such things. OTOH, if we get serious enough and build up a good league of dedicated owners, maybe a couple of us (who are programmers) might consider building our own web-based apps to help facilitate such things and provide more useful rankings and such. :D

Anyway, we still currently have 2 rosters available for new owners to take over, so who's up for the challenge? ;-D

Sultans
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ccjohnson23 » Fri May 20, 2005 10:57 am

i would like to take those belfast cubs if no one has yet.

ready for some baseball

mailto:ccjohnson23@yahoo.com
ccjohnson23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

How about a baseball owner from down under

Postby Kiwi Splinter » Fri May 20, 2005 9:04 pm

G'day,

If there are any free teams I'd love to join. Is it a free league? I'm from New Zealand but currently living in Melbourne Australia. I've been playing FBP for 5 years winning 2 out of 5 so I'm committed to any league I join. After living in San Francisco in 91-92 I'm a huge Giants fan. Will Clark is still the Thrill to me.

Cheers,

Steve
Kiwi Splinter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: How about a baseball owner from down under

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sat May 21, 2005 1:07 am

Kiwi Splinter wrote:G'day,

If there are any free teams I'd love to join. Is it a free league? I'm from New Zealand but currently living in Melbourne Australia. I've been playing FBP for 5 years winning 2 out of 5 so I'm committed to any league I join. After living in San Francisco in 91-92 I'm a huge Giants fan. Will Clark is still the Thrill to me.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi, Steve.

Yes, it's a free league (using Yahoo), and there is still at least one roster available of the two listed above -- most likely DummyTeam03. I'm waiting for confirmation from ccjohnson on whether he will definitely join and take BelfastCubs. If he changes his mind for whatever reason, you can have a choice between those two. Otherwise, you would be taking DummyTeam03. Is that ok?

Also, did you have opp to familiarize yourself w/ the various details of the league? Any questions for me?

Great to hear about your good experience w/ FBP -- sounds reasonably similar to mine ;-D (and probably a few others in the league) although I've been a baseball fan since moving to NYC (from Hong Kong) as a child back in the late 70's. Never actually got around to playing fantasy baseball until a few years ago, but it's great stuff.

Giants fan, aye? I'm a Yankees fan -- but really more a baseball fan first, rather than a typical fan of the home team (and no, I don't hate the Mets or Mets fans or even Boston and their fans :D). So no, you can't dangle a few overrated Yankees as trade bait for me, not even if you wanted a Met or Bosox from my roster. ;-)

Anyway, if you know you actually want DummyTeam03, then you won't need to wait for me to hear back from ccjohnson -- just let me know and tell me whether you wish to be contacted via PM or email (and include your addy, if email).

Looking forward to you guys joining up...

Cheers!

_Man_ aka Sultans
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ccjohnson23 » Sat May 21, 2005 10:08 am

Hey, I would still love to take over the Belfast Cubs, but I never got an email.

mailto:ccjohnson23@yahoo.com
ccjohnson23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ccjohnson23 » Sat May 21, 2005 10:17 am

sorry, i just checked my email, and it was there. i apologize. i must have missed it.
ccjohnson23
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Classifieds