New Cubs Closer- Kerry Wood?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

New Cubs Closer- Kerry Wood??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Cubs Closer- Kerry Wood??

Postby morfheas » Mon May 16, 2005 12:30 pm

I was listening to XM MLB talk show this morning and they stated that the Cubs are discussing moving Kerry Wood to the Pen as a Closer or Long relief. WOW!!! Wonder if this could really happen?
morfheas
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cookman » Mon May 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Still not sure how I feel about that. As a Cubs fan, I guess I still hold out hope that he can figure it out and become the dominant starter he should be. But he's in his seventh season, still hasn't won his seventieth game, he's got the laundry list of arm problems, and he's frustratingly prone to the blow-up inning. Starting to think that he may never be healthy again, let alone reach that elite starter level. Maybe taking 150+ innings/year off his arm will help him. And with how horrendous the bullpen has been this year, it is certainly a need area. It does significantly weaken their rotation, though. My question is what is the deal with Angel Guzman? I know he was hurt last year, but it seems like they've been talking this guy up for about a half-decade now. Are they just going really slow with him or have they figured out that he's not the answer? I watched him pitch in ST a few times and he looked solid. If they could bring him up, it would really soften the blow of moving Wood to the BP. Anyways, I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby philo » Tue May 17, 2005 2:46 pm

I thought it might be worth a shot to move Wood. Until another Cub fan pointed out that he'd be one expensive closer with the contract he's got.
philo Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OuzoTower » Tue May 17, 2005 2:51 pm

Better to have an expensive closer than a starter constantly on the DL.

The Cubs could really use a dominant closer if he doesn't breakdown in the bullpen.
OuzoTower
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fansmash » Tue May 17, 2005 5:14 pm

whatever. Dusty will probably mis-manage him in whatever capacity he's pitching. If he's the closer, you can believe you'll see him in non-save situations, spot starts, etc., until his arm falls off again. Chad Fox, anyone? !+)
fansmash
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Invictus » Tue May 17, 2005 5:54 pm

fansmash wrote:whatever. Dusty will probably mis-manage him in whatever capacity he's pitching. If he's the closer, you can believe you'll see him in non-save situations, spot starts, etc., until his arm falls off again. Chad Fox, anyone? !+)

Although i will agree that Dusty isn't the greatest manager, by a long shot, i don't think he's a mismanager persay. I personally don't always agree with his decisions, but i also don't know the situation of the bullpen, who's ready, who's warmed up, whose been overworked, whose been on the bench for 3 days, who needs playing time, who has come to him personally with complaints lack of playing time/overworking playing time, who has... etc etc etc.

Anyway, i believe that Wood would thrive in the closer's role, it would solve a huge problem that Jim Hendry has failed to address the past few seasons (if your looking for a scapegoat, Hendry is who i go after, what has he done for past few seasons other than get pieces that we DONT absolutly need... we didn't absoultly NEED to get Nomar, but who can predict a slump-injury year either.)

If i were managing, i would let Kerry get part of his rehab in as the closer. See how he does at that point and still get him the innings he needs to rehab. If he does poorly, or is still injured, then no harm done, at least one of two questions is answered, and who knows, Maybe we kill two birds with one stone ;-D, albeit one expensive stone :-/ .
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates