Rate my team fellas, advice needed please. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate my team fellas, advice needed please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate my team fellas, advice needed please.

Postby jblank » Mon May 16, 2005 12:14 pm

14 team league, Roto 6X6 (standard 5X5 plus .OPS and Shutouts). I am currently in 11th place, struggling mightily with consistency. I would like to get some opinions on my players for the rest of the year. Thanks in advance.

C M. Barrett (ChC - C) CUtilBench @Pit 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
1B T. Hafner (Cle - 1B) 1BUtilBench LAA 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
2B M. Grudzielanek (StL - 2B) 2BUtilBench @Phi 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
3B D. Wright (NYM - 3B) 3BUtilBench Cin 7:10 pm -/- - - - - - -
SS J. Lugo (TB - 2B,SS) 2BSSUtilBench @Det 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
OF M. Cabrera (Fla - OF) OFUtilBench @LAD 10:10 pm -/- - - - - - -
OF C. Lee (Mil - OF) OFUtilBench @Was 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
OF B. Wilkerson (Was - 1B,OF) 1BOFUtilBench Mil 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
Util C. Crisp (Cle - OF) OFUtilBench LAA 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
BN T. Hall (TB - C) CUtilBench @Det 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
BN J. Ellison (SF - OF) OFUtilBench @Col 8:35 pm -/- - - - - - -
BN C. Monroe (Det - OF) OFUtilBench TB 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -
DL N. GarciaparraDL (ChC - SS) SSUtilBenchDL @Pit 7:05 pm -/- - - - - - -


Pos Pitchers Edit Opp Status IP W SHO SV K ERA WHIP
SP M. Clement (Bos - SP) SPPBench ^@Oak 10:05 pm - - - - - - -
SP --empty-- - - - - - - -
RP Y. Brazobán (LAD - RP) RPPBench Fla 10:10 pm - - - - - - -
RP U. Urbina (Det - RP) RPPBench TB 7:05 pm - - - - - - -
P S. Takatsu (CWS - RP) RPPBench Tex 8:05 pm - - - - - - -
P D. Riske (Cle - RP) RPPBench LAA 7:05 pm - - - - - - -
P --empty-- - - - - - - -
BN Z. Greinke (KC - SP) SPPBench Bal 8:10 pm - - - - - - -
BN R. Halladay (Tor - SP) SPPBench @Min 8:10 pm - - - - - - -
BN C. Silva (Min - SP) SPPBench Tor 8:10 pm - - - - - - -
BN J. Weaver (LAD - SP) SPPBench Fla 10:10 pm - - - - - - -
BN S. Kazmir (TB - SP) SPPBench @Det 7:05 pm - - - - - - -
BN R. Franklin (Sea - SP) SPPBench NYY 10:05 pm - - - - - - -
DL B. SheetsDL (Mil - SP) SPPBenchDL @Was 7:05 pm

Thus far, my best categories are saves (I had Hoffman but have traded him) and batting average. My worst are WHIP, HR's, and ERA.

This is a very competitive league with VERY knowledgeable owners, savvy guys who play conservative when it comes to trades. I know a lot about baseball, but in the 3-4 years I have played fantasy baseball, I cant seem to find the right mix to perform well. Any problems you can point out are appreciated, any ideas are welcome.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby waby1 » Mon May 16, 2005 3:22 pm

solid team for a 14 teamer, i think you might need another big power hitter and try to upgrade at 2B, everything else looks good
waby1
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 209
Joined: 21 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Mon May 16, 2005 3:25 pm

waby1 wrote:solid team for a 14 teamer, i think you might need another big power hitter and try to upgrade at 2B, everything else looks good


Even my pitching? I tell ya, the way Grudzielanek is pounding the ball, I am inclined to leave him there. In that lineup, he is seeing tons of fat pitches, stealing a few bases, and getting runs galore. You are right about the power hitters, but they are tough to get.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby aircanada15nc » Mon May 16, 2005 6:55 pm

i really dont like that team at all, for hitting ur only real great player there is Migs Cabrera and then its all iffy down the lineup, and ur pitching is rather weak but not that bad, but i have no real quick solutions for u now but to keep watching the FA's for upcoming players and try to make moves maybe to get some slumping players like a H. Matsui who is pretty cold right now or maybe risk going after a Lowell just keep looking
aircanada15nc
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 53
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 17, 2005 9:08 am

I would welcome some additional comments.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby jblank » Tue May 17, 2005 9:12 am

aircanada15nc wrote:i really dont like that team at all, for hitting ur only real great player there is Migs Cabrera and then its all iffy down the lineup, and ur pitching is rather weak but not that bad, but i have no real quick solutions for u now but to keep watching the FA's for upcoming players and try to make moves maybe to get some slumping players like a H. Matsui who is pretty cold right now or maybe risk going after a Lowell just keep looking


Hmm, thats an interesting analysis. Considering I am 4th in the league in average, I am curious what your dont like about my hitting. Carlos Lee will hit 30 HR's and probably hit around .280 or so, Wilkerson will probably hit 25 HR's and come out with a good average, Wright will probably hit 25+ with a .290 avg, and Hafner should start rolling whenever the rest of their bats get going.

I tried to kind of build a team that is good across all levels, rather than just focus on POWER, or SPEED, or K's for pitchers. So far its not working, I am in 10th, but I really think I am just a move or so away from some real improvement.

I appreciate your comments though, very interesting.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby woo » Tue May 17, 2005 10:03 am

I would find a alternative to Franklin for sure, and now that gagne is back brazoban is pretty much worthless. What free agent OF are available? its a deep league but it seems like someone better than elison would be out there. your pitching seems solid enough. I would try to work out some 2 for 1 trades depending on who you can pick up in FA.
woo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 98
Joined: 2 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: redondo beach

Postby clarkw267 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:04 am

My take on your team is this.. you don't really have a strong point., but you could be average to above average in a lot of catagories, especially if a few of your bats start getting hot. Your guys will hit for a solid average, You might be ok in HRs, but Wright, Hafner, Lee, and Wilkerson have to start pounding the ball, Cabrera you know is going to be solid for you. RBI, and SB will probably be right around the middle of the pack.

As for your pitching it could end up being a strength if Sheets can come back and dominate. Sheets, Halliday, Clement, Greinke is a solid group. You might drop a bit in saves now though you really don't have a legitimate closer. Brazoban is back to set up, Urbina is only the closer until Percival is back, and Takatsu has been losing save ops to Hermanson, who has been perfect and Marte. You may want to think about trading a SP for a midlevel closer.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2876
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 16 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue May 17, 2005 10:14 am

woo wrote:I would find a alternative to Franklin for sure, and now that gagne is back brazoban is pretty much worthless. What free agent OF are available? its a deep league but it seems like someone better than elison would be out there. your pitching seems solid enough. I would try to work out some 2 for 1 trades depending on who you can pick up in FA.


Actually, Brazoban helps me in K's, WHIP, and ERA, and the latter two I need help in. Plus, Gagne is no guarantee as far as his health, so I will keep him. I think my OF is fine, but I am trying to package 2 of my OF's together to get an elite one. Ellison was picked up for speed and avg, and hasnt disappointed.

Thanks for the advice, its much appreciated.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Postby jblank » Tue May 17, 2005 10:20 am

clarkw267 wrote:My take on your team is this.. you don't really have a strong point., but you could be average to above average in a lot of catagories, especially if a few of your bats start getting hot. Your guys will hit for a solid average, You might be ok in HRs, but Wright, Hafner, Lee, and Wilkerson have to start pounding the ball, Cabrera you know is going to be solid for you. RBI, and SB will probably be right around the middle of the pack.

As for your pitching it could end up being a strength if Sheets can come back and dominate. Sheets, Halliday, Clement, Greinke is a solid group. You might drop a bit in saves now though you really don't have a legitimate closer. Brazoban is back to set up, Urbina is only the closer until Percival is back, and Takatsu has been losing save ops to Hermanson, who has been perfect and Marte. You may want to think about trading a SP for a midlevel closer.


An excellent analysis, very spot on. Right now, as it turns out, you are almost 100% on your picks for where I am in the standings.

I almost had to mortgage the saves category to help my SP. I traded Hoffman and Pettitte for Halladay, and havent regretted it a bit. Urbina I am high on, because Percival is so injury prone, plus Urbina may be traded to close for someone else (Cubs). At this point, I have resigned myself to just ride out the saves category as we have 2 teams that have ZERO closers and 1 team that only have 1.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 794
Joined: 7 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bristol, Tennessee

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact